Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • I've been watching more shows that movies lately but here are a couple I've watched recently:

Insidious - I have mixed feelings about this movie. I thought the first half of the movie was reasonably good....it was old-fashioned creepy and atmospheric horror. It presented believable characters in a scary situation and it was all about what you didn't see that gave it a good chill factor. Then suddenly the movie becomes something totally different and Darth Maul shows up to terrorize the family and subject them to Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the Tulips. If you don't know what that is:
    [video=youtube;zcSlcNfThUA]

So yeah, demon Darth Maul apparently loves that song, and I'm sitting there wondering what happened to the movie I was watching. Instead of chills, it turned into something stupid and cartoony, pretty much destroying what the first half of the movie sets up, knocking it over like a house of cards. Then it starts in on astral projection and weird theories and it just totally becomes a mess. It's sad because it did have a lot of potential.

The Bells - Silent movie from 1926, The Bells is a decent old flick about a generous tavern/mill owner, Marthias, obsessed with becoming Burgomaster of his village. He tries to win people's affections constantly with free items from his businesses and as such, gets himself and his family into horrible debt. One night during a terrible snowstorm, a wealthy traveler comes and stays at their home, foolishly revealing to Marthias his riches which included a belt filled with gold coins. When the storm lets up, the traveler boards his sleigh to leave and Marthias, desperate for money, decides to sneak onto the sleigh and murder the traveler with an axe, and then burn the body in a kiln. The tavern owner returns with his ill-gotten fortune, claiming that the money is an inheritance from his uncle, and then pays off his debts and marries his daughter to the chief investigator in attempt to remove suspicions. However, the murder starts to haunt Marthias relentlessly as he begins to hallucinate, seeing blood appear on his hands that he can't wash off, visions of the dead traveler and sounds of bells jingling from the dead man's sleigh. I won't give away the ending. I did think the last part of the movie was a bit too abrupt, but kind of typical for these 1920s movies. Again, not a bad movie if you like this sort of thing.
  • Troll 2

Finally got around to this. It's streaming on Netflix so anyone can check it out. This is the current popular choice for worst movie ever made. I don't think it is the worst movie I have ever seen, but it is globally terrible. Thousands of pages have been written about this film.

The writing is extremely strange. The dialogue is the result of terrible writing combined with an incomplete understanding of American culture... and English. The effects make old Doctor Who look like the Matrix. However, I think the acting sets it apart. Everyone in the film, clearly wants to act, and absolutely no one can, at all. Twenty people chosen at random, and given lines written on notebook paper would do a better job. They want to do so well, and none of them should be in the arts. A couple are clearly mentally disturbed. I could not watch this film in one sitting, the acting was unbearable. I had to take breaks.
  • westsw said:
    Troll 2

Finally got around to this. It's streaming on Netflix so anyone can check it out. This is the current popular choice for worst movie ever made. I don't think it is the worst movie I have ever seen, but it is globally terrible. Thousands of pages have been written about this film.

The writing is extremely strange. The dialogue is the result of terrible writing combined with an incomplete understanding of American culture... and English. The effects make old Doctor Who look like the Matrix. However, I think the acting sets it apart. Everyone in the film, clearly wants to act, and absolutely no one can, at all. Twenty people chosen at random, and given lines written on notebook paper would do a better job. They want to do so well, and none of them should be in the arts. A couple are clearly mentally disturbed. I could not watch this film in one sitting, the acting was unbearable. I had to take breaks.

You mean you didn't think scenes like this were amazing???

[video=youtube;vP1N8U5_-VU]

:D

On a weird but related side note, I met one of the producers of that movie on a train once years ago when I was going from NY to Chicago. I was alone at the time and he struck up a conversation with me and he embarrassingly admitted at one point he had done a movie and said it was pretty horrible. I didn't know what Troll 2 was at the time. Anyway, I looked up his profile afterwards on ImDb to see his pic and sure enough, it was the same dude I met on the train. For helping to make one of the worst movies ever, he seemed like a pretty funny and nice guy. :P
  • There are much much stranger sex scenes out there. Like all of Pink Flamingos (that and Spy Hard, may be the only two films I have actually walked out of). What stands out in the scene you have posted is the terrible acting. It is a staggeringly awkward because both actors are so uncomfortable. The theme of vegetarian hatred is well represented. How many films could you write that last sentence about? I did say it is a globally terrible movie. But it's all about the craft. The absence of craft, the anti-craft. DeNiro would become a slightly worse actor watching this film.
  • O-kay then.

Anyway...

I watched two pretty decent movies recently...and they are both on Netflix instant watch if anyone is interested. ;)

Shaolin Grandma - Just pure silliness that you would expect from Japan really. I have to say that the lady that played the granny was pretty good considering she never even said a word. If you like kung fu movies then you should check this out, it's brilliantly awkward.
    [SPOILER][video=youtube;hX4SNU2NFn8]

The Warrior's Way - I remember seeing trailers for this movie and thinking it looked kinda ridiculous, but I'm glad I gave it a chance because I thought it was pretty awesome. Summary: Man is raised to be the strongest warrior in the history of world...ever. He is a member of the Sad Flutes Clan, and no, that doesn't mean that they suffer from erectile dysfunction, but they get their name from the sound of a throat being cut (whistling as the air escapes or something). He ends up killing all the members of a rival clan, except one, a baby girl. He takes pity and cares for her and in doing so becomes the enemy of his own clan, who set out to kill him and the baby. The warrior then flees to American and ends up in a surreal looking town in the dessert with a bunch of washed up circus performers. They end up accepting him and he even takes on a student, a redheaded girl, who becomes kind of a love interest as well.

There's also a band of bandits who terrorize the town and all look like they've stepped out of a Fallout game. Anyway, yada yada, the warrior has technically given up killing but, you know the drill, of course he has to fight. :) Pretty fun shoot out and three-way battle between different groups at the end. Of course, it's silly too but so entertaining!
  • brisby I..........I think I love you!!!
  • 2001: Space Odyssey: Took me three separate sittings but I finally got through it. The first half of the movie is so damn slow but it sets up nicely for the second half of movie the revolves around Discovery 1. Overall it is a fantastic fucking movie and I can't believe it was released in 1968. Stanley Kubrick is a god damn genius. Everyone must see this movie, sci-fi fans and non sci-fi fans alike. You just have endure the slow beginning and it will be worth it.
  • GreyAcumen said:
    brisby I..........I think I love you!!!

<3 True Love <3
  • Fright Night (2011) - This movie rubbed me the wrong way on so many levels. Horrible, horrible, horrible. It seemed to be paced incredibly slow, and when the action came around it was kind of boring. Yes, boring action. Not to mention I found the "girlfriend" character really unlikable.

Really, the only redeeming factor for this film was David Tennant as a vampire hunter/magician? Mainly because I kept picturing him as The Doctor from Doctor Who and that he was gonna kick some vamp-ass. Not to mention, Collin Farrel didn't do a bad job playing a dick-head vampire.
  • Watched John Carter last saturday in the cinema.

Although i liked seeing the characters from the book and comics be brought to life on the big screen, i wondered why they strayed so far from the story, that's the only issue i had with the movie.

And female thark's no boobs? WTF?
  • Epke said:

And female thark's no boobs? WTF?

Dammit Disney.
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes- Sad and suprisingly extremely well done movie, though it is a bit predictable. 8/10 reccomend
  • Men in Black 3. I think it's what you expect it to be. Nothing greater and nothing lesser. I like the end.

Take your rating for the 2nd movie and it's about the same.

Mine is 3/5.
  • Prometheus 4/5

it was a good movie..and there is deffinately some stuff for "Alien" fans in this movie but at certian points (just like in Alien) it felt drawn out..for example, i would be sitting there and certian parts got so drawn out that i would snap out of the illusion and say "wait...why is this happening again?"

any movie that doesnt suck me in and keep me there for the whole duration doesn't deserve top marks for me, it is a good movie though..it does entertain and it does give you some good stuff to figure out (mainly what the conections are between this and alien)
  • 2/5 Woman In Black

Taken from my review on my blog: All in all Woman In Black is a nice take on the horror genre, but seemingly falls flat with the plot, characters, and the whole point of the Woman In Black. It really feels like it missed out on making a great film, and sadly it's one you can watch alone and not really remember it the next day, or not even got scared. Watched this with a friend, and we seemed to have more fun making Harry Potter jokes about what happens in the film. Another saving grace for the film is Daniel Radcliffe is possibly the only good actor in the film, other than Ciaran Hinds. Both of them are really solid, but everyone else feels tacked on, and pointless.

My verdict? Thumbs down. Avoid this film, unless you're curious about horror films set in Victorian times, and if you want to see little children get killed.
  • I watched Drive last week and gave it a 10/10.

So I watched it a few days later and gave it a 10/10 again.

Awesome movie.
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

3/10

I dunno, I usually kind of like Sherlock Holmes stuff but I actually nearly fell asleep 4 times throughout this movie. It had a few good points and the actors put on a decent performance, but I dunno, just bleh.
  • The Lookout (2007) - Watched this tonight and I thought it was decent enough although the ending kind of annoyed me. The story is about a young man, Chris, who is rich and has it all. One night he and some friends have a joyride and get into a terrible accident where several people die and Chris is left brain damaged. He is unable to remember simple tasks and constantly has to write little notes to himself. Anyway, he sorta becomes an unwitting pawn in a scheme to rob the bank that he works at as a janitor by a band of petty crooks who think they can take advantage of his mental state. I found a lot of it to be predictable, but like I said, it was still a decent crime thriller. Plus, it took place in Kansas City, Missouri so gotta give it props for that I guess.
  • This is from the last week:

Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid To Ask) is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The vignettes are sometimes clever, sometimes very silly, but always funny. My favorite ones are the court jester and the mad scientist vignettes. A+

30 Minutes or Less is not nearly as good as Zombieland, but it's really not that awful either. Jesse Eisenberg is good as always and I like the supporting cast. Sometimes the film does rely on vulgar language more than it should, but that doesn't stop the funny parts from being funny. It's a hit-and-miss comedy, but when it strikes the right note it can be quite entertaining. B-

Cool Hand Luke is one of the best films I've ever seen. It reminds me of the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; of course, this film predates that one by eight years. Paul Newman is charming and charismatic in the lead role and the supporting cast does an excellent job as well. It's a film that is rout with powerful symbolism and it fires on all cylinders. A+

Who would have thought that Madagascar: Europe's Most Wanted would be my favorite in the series? Certainly not I. It's funny and it's got heart to it, and there are two scene in particular I love, involving bright lights and cool circus acts. I wasn't sure we needed another Madagascar film and this isn't a great movie, but it's still a fun time for kids and adults alike. B

Snow White and the Huntsman has so many opportunities to stand our but it misses on them. There are a few cool bursts of creativity, from the forest troll to the Sanctuary to the fairies, but the film instead prefers to focus on the generic setting and story. The acting is hammy, the camerawork is only okay, and the pacing is terrible. It's a really dull, boring, generic, and uninspired film, but it does have a positive and that's that it made Kristen Stewart look beautiful (she still can't act though). C

Easy Money, much like most of Rodney Dangerfield's movies, is just a front for his witty one-liners. I'm not complaining; Rodney Dangerfield is one of my favorite comedians, if not my all-time favorite. I like that he still remained largely the same person by the end even though he did go through an ordeal for his family. Perhaps he's no better a man, but you see that he was always a good man to begin with. B+

Piranha 3DD lacks the campy charm that its predecessor had. Everything about this movie is bland; the gore is bland, the nudity is bland (when it happens every five seconds it loses any effect, especially when half of the boobs are fake), and the film mostly just relies on cameos. There are some good parts involving Ving Rhames and David Hasselhoff, but most of the film is dull and boring. (John Gulager, 2012, 83 min., R) D+

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is just as entertaining as when I first saw it. Everything about this film is just so cool, from the action to the effects to the characters to the comedy. It's all brilliant, although people who aren't geeks may not take to this as well as I have. (Edgar Wright, 2010, 113 min., PG-13) A

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is stupid and childish, but damn is it funny. Most of the humor is just the two morons laughing at sexual undertones and double entendre, but you'll be laughing along with them the whole time. Mike Judge strikes again. (Mike Judge, 1996, 81 min., PG-13) B+

eXistenZ had promise in the beginning, but it ended up being pretty dull and boring. Cronenberg seems to be hit and miss, and unfortunately this is a miss. It's not weird enough, nor is it even remotely interesting enough to be a true Cronenberg classic. (David Cronenberg, 1999, 97 min., R) C
  • Avengers-10/9 Its so......yeah......no....fuck yeah. Yeahhh.

30 Minutes or Less- 8.5/10 Alot funnier than I thought it'd be, great movie although it dragged on a bit, it still was always pretty funny.
  • Rock of Ages - 8/10 I actually really enjoyed this - perhaps a little too much! A musical full of 80s rock set in an iconic rock club in the 80s. High School Musical on sex and rock and roll! Funny moments throughout with excellent singing and decent acting!
  • 50/50

9 out of 10
    It was a good mix of funny and emotional, another great performance from Joesph gordon-levitt.
  • Kaiji: The Ultimate Gamber - The way the actors acted was soooooooooooo animu, but near the end the story really grabbed me and overall I enjoyed it. 6/10
  • The Expendables 2 - Pretty much what you'd come to expect from the first film. Cheesy dialogue, action, and people exploding into bits of red mess. I liked it a little bit more than the first film but some of the jokes in the movie made me cringe. Specifically Chuck Norris making a joke about a King Cobra, and the "I'll be back" jokes. Other than that it was a fun ride. 8/10
  • just back from watching Prometheus in the theater.
    8/10 i liked the whole new addition in the alien mythology.
    although some actions that David did are never explained.

i had one gripe though:
    When the alien ship rolls and the are fleeing in the same direction the ship is rolling,
    like in a cheesy b-movie where the victim is chased by a car on a forest road, get off the road!Oh and the Prometheus had no offensive capabilities what so ever?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week

• Joker

commented on: 6 days ago