Sleeper Hit of 2008
  • What game snuck in under the radar, and provided a surprisingly solid experience with almost no hype whatsoever?

[center:795f06c4bc]image[/center:795f06c4bc]

Culdcept Saga (360)
    Release: Feb 5, 2008
    Genre: Card Battle

Culdcept Saga is the latest entrant in the popular magic-meets-Monopoly game franchise and includes online battles via Xbox Live.

The Club (Multi)
    Release: Feb 19, 2008
    Genre: Modern Shooter

Fight as a modern-day mercenary gladiator in The Club, an underground blood-sport in which ruthless killers try earn respect and infamy in deathmatches.

de Blob (Wii)
    Release: Sep 22, 2008
    Genre: 3D Platformer

Bounce, ricochet, and swing through Chroma City as you, de Blob, try to restore the world's drained color.

Space Invaders Extreme (Handheld)
    Release: Jun 17, 2008
    Genre: Shoot-'Em-Up

Space Invaders Extreme features classic alien-shooting action with all new graphical design, soundtrack, and power-ups.
  • Seeing how many people vote for Culdcept saga vs. the people on Noobtoob who actually own it is going to be pretty interesting.
  • Culdcept Saga, of course!
  • battlefield bad company has to be my sleeper hit because it was such a great game with its funny story mode and great online as well a new aspect of an fps with destructible environment that makes it hard to hide behind cover is great
  • Although I didn't play the game, I voted for Space Invaders Extreme. From the reviews I read and Sunflowers overall enthusiasm for the game, it really made the game look great. I liked the original Space Invaders, and this one only looked better!
  • Culdcept SAGA certainly has a special flare with this community. It's hard to identify many silent gems as many-times, they are unpopular, but I say, this game is a very fun game to work around.

I'm very glad I have it.
  • I think both Space Invaders and Culdcept have a special place in the hearts of a lot of NooBTooBers, myself included. My dad and I play multiplayer Space Invaders at the office practically every day right now during the slow time. Culdcept has become my crack game of choice on 360 lately as well. Both very deserving games.
  • Why wasn't de Blob on the best of Wii list?
  • As I read through these threads I get the impression these are not the "NoobToob's Choice" awards so much as they are the "Sunflower's Choice" awards. Some of the titles appearing in these polls, and some of the omissions, show extreme bias.

Do we really need polls anyway? I feel kind of insulted my vote is getting limited to what some other random dude thinks makes the cut. I wouldn't vote for any of the games on this list.
  • Probably doesn't count but World at War surprised the hell out of me. I thought it was going to be as bad as COD3.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    As I read through these threads I get the impression these are not the "NoobToob's Choice" awards so much as they are the "Sunflower's Choice" awards. Some of the titles appearing in these polls, and some of the omissions, show extreme bias.

Do we really need polls anyway? I feel kind of insulted my vote is getting limited to what some other random dude thinks makes the cut. I wouldn't vote for any of the games on this list.

Thanks for being an ass. 5 of us got together and brainstormed this, not me. Jeez, if it's so horrible, don't vote. Thanks a lot. >:(
  • Dr Flibble said:
    As I read through these threads I get the impression these are not the "NoobToob's Choice" awards so much as they are the "Sunflower's Choice" awards. Some of the titles appearing in these polls, and some of the omissions, show extreme bias.

You know Flibble, we do our best. These are not Sunflower's picks. We as a mod team came up with these lists and they had been posted for several days to allow each of us to have our input. If you aren't happy with our picks, sorry. I guess our best isn't good enough for some.
  • I disagree :(
  • I voted for The Club, they said half will hate it half will love it, and i was part of the half that loved it. I loved going for the high score or a faster time, just the panic you get when your combo meter is going down and you cant quite hit your target. The rush i got from playing the game was glorious, it so fast paced, intense and just plain fun. It shows that game doesnt need to be complex to be good, and i need to pick this up on 360 as i have it on PS3, i just want to beat the scores on my friends list. :P
  • i wont vote for any, since i havent played any on this list, i really think Valkyria Chronicles should be on the list =)
  • My enjoyment of Culdsept is limited because I can see how great it would be if only _blank_. The matches are long... the inability to trade cards with friends is infinitely frustrating... and the AI in the single-player mode cheats like no one's business. But I'm still really glad I own it.
  • Thanks alot Sunflower for putting all this work into setting up the Noob Choice Awards - you totally fucked it up by not only deciding with your mod team but making a great addition to the community.
    Next year maybe you can try harder....

Hp1703 has the exact same feelings as I do for Culdcept - tough love. It has been so good to me so I have to go with it, even if I do feel dirty picking it over The Club (which is awesome).
  • Locke said:
    Thanks alot Sunflower for putting all this work into setting up the Noob Choice Awards - you totally fucked it up by not only deciding with your mod team but making a great addition to the community.
    Next year maybe you can try harder....

Spent some 5 minutes trying to understand this paragraph but I just gave up :P

I think a huge sleeper hit this year was Braid. It came with no fanfare, no hype and no advertising. It became the critic's darling instantaneously. Not my cup of tea, but I can see why people like it.
  • Yeah..I was pretty sure that everybody in the NoobToob Community was given the ability to have an opinion...

but lately whenever somebody says something the Mod or Admins don't like...they shit all over them.

Strange.

Oh well..

My sleeper hit is definitely The Club. Love the game...only wish I could try out some multiplayer with some folks on NoobToob. It's seriously like crack.
  • My favourite sleeper hit of 2008 was definetely The Club. Continuously trying to better myself and reach some of the highest scores. I actually managed to reach slot 129 leaderboard wise on one of the levels.
  • what about far cry 2?!?!?!
  • super gamer said:
    what about far cry 2?!?!?!

How is Far Cry 2 a sleeper?
  • It has to be Space Invaders Extreme.

It was a great remake of the original, adding just the right extras and challenges to change it into a completely different and much more fun game.

I would have chosen de Blob, but de Blob was originally freeware, so I'm not going anywhere near the Wii version.
  • Civilization Revolution anyone?
  • coldcept saga was better than i thought, i dont own the game but i have played it
  • NHL 09 is my vote, this is because its a sleeper sport by a sleeper company, and they slept on the ultimate vision this game has for decades.
    Even if you suck at it, plz do a review on Noobtoob! I really want to hear what you think!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week