Best PS3 Game of 2008
  • Ah, the Playstation 3. Was this Sony's year? What on PS3 did you love?

[center:1cf44ee996]image[/center:1cf44ee996]

Metal Gear Solid 4
    Release: Jun 12, 2008
    Genre: Modern Action Adventure

Metal Gear Solid 4 offers even more of the stealth-based action gameplay and grand stories that the series has become known for.

Valkyria Chronicles
    Release: Nov 4, 2008
    Genre: Action Role-Playing

Set during a fictional European War, this RPG features action and strategy elements. And tanks.

Grand Theft Auto 4
    Release: Apr 29, 2008
    Genre: Modern Action Adventure

Grand Theft Auto IV builds on the series' rock solid foundation with an awe inspiring recreation of Liberty City.

Soul Calibur IV
    Release: Jul 29, 2008
    Genre: 3D Fighting

The fourth entry in the classic weapons-based fighting series comes to PS3.

Dead Space
    Release: Oct 13, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi Shooter

Dead Space is a survival-horror game in which you must explore terrifying environments and battle disgusting monstrosities.

LittleBigPlanet
    Release: Oct 27, 2008
    Genre: Platformer

Little Big Planet is both a multiplayer platformer and a community-based toolset that lets you build your own levels to share on the PlayStation Network.

Fallout 3
    Release: Oct 28, 2008
    Genre: Role-Playing

Fallout 3 is a follow-up to the classic post-apocalyptic role-playing series with all-new 3D graphics, new gameplay, and a brand-new story.

Call of Duty: World At War
    Release: Nov 10, 2008
    Genre: Historic First-Person Shooter

Using the Call of Duty 4 engine, Treyarch brings the franchise back to World War II, including taking on Imperial Japanese forces in the Pacific.

Mirror's Edge
    Release: Nov 11, 2008
    Genre: Modern First-Person Shooter

EA DICE's new first-person action adventure game will allow you to move in ways never before seen in a first-person game.

Resistance 2
    Release: Nov 4, 2008
    Genre: Modern First-Person Shooter

This PS3-exclusive shooter sequel offers huge online co-op and multiplayer battles and two separate campaigns.
  • For the Ps3 my vote went to Little Big Planet. I put in a lot of time with this game, and had loads of fun playing with other NoobToobers, friends, and family. While I didn't enjoy the creating aspect as much as I would have liked, I still enjoyed playing other people's UGC.

I had fun customizing my Sackboy, building my NoobToob level and my crappy Slippery When Wet level, and I really liked playing through the story mode with my fellow NoobToober, Painter. I ended up beating story mode without dying on each level, collecting every single sticker, and got each trophy except for one.

I'll admit that the game had its flaws. Some of the platforming was off. It didn't live up to people's expectations. And some people just overall hated the game for what it was. I still still hold Sackboy close to my heart, and I definitely think Little Big Planet was the best Ps3 game of 08.

And Create trophy I'm coming for you. Your the only thing that stands in the way of my platinum!
  • My vote went for MGS4, its the game I got a PS3 to play and if I never play another PS3 game again (which is sadly likely given the quality and scarcity of them) I will still consider this money well spent.

Amazing game
  • I had an aboslute blast playing MGS4, that gets my vote.
  • I picked Valkyria Chronicles, despite my inability to stop playing Soul Calibur instead of the new games I buy months after it was released. VC is just such a cool game, and it deserves some recognition. I also hope it does well to help spark jrpg popularity from developers on the PS3.

Oh and I have to mention the artstyle - it's so weird (in that kinky kinda way). From some angles it actually looks like your characters are hand-drawn because of the visual effect they use, even though it really just cell-shading with a funny shading effect.

And the story is pretty good and engrossing - and infinite -___-. But best of all, the gameplay is just amazingly fun to me. It's such a cool mixture of turn-based and real-time elements for an sRPG. So yeah. I assume not enough people played it for it to win out over the behemoth that is MGS4, but here's hoping the snowball effect counts for something 8)
  • Lol all I gotta say is Soul Calibur made its list? Lol...
  • Multi-platform games made the list?

For me it's LBP. Haven't touched MGS.
  • well took a long time to decide between my one of my new favorite games Valkyria Chronicles or my good old Metal gear solid 4, but i chose mgs4 i loved mgs4 and im a fan since metal gear solid 1
  • I forgot what my choice was but it was either LBP or MGS4
  • Sunflower....
    I have an excessive quantity of respect for you sir.
    I enjoy your podcast, and I appreciate your contributions to the website.

But I feel that I must ask, "Where the hell is Bioshock?"
  • Valkyria.

or Armored Core For Answer.
  • Magma Kangaroo said:
    Sunflower....

That's a last year release, just a port with some added content to PS3. Same reason Okami on the Wii isn't eligible. Sorry, we all know it'd win anyway :)
  • my vote goes to fallout 3, because even though i didnt play it on the ps3 i know it blows the socks off the other games listed there (and because i wont let the win go to mgs 4, it was like moving a character from one place to another to activate another 10 minute cutscene for 14 hours)
  • I voted for Metal Gear Solid 4 of course. Wouldn't have it any other way!
  • [center:b8f3fc1fb5] :!: [/center:b8f3fc1fb5]

The MGS series was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. From 1 to 4 it had something for everyone. I'm still floored at the audio and visual quality this game has. MGS4 is a crazy ass game with a uniqueness all its own. I loved every second of it. Great game.
  • I voted MGS4, because of its story and development of all of it's characters.
  • olme said:
    well took a long time to decide between my one of my new favorite games Valkyria Chronicles or my good old Metal gear solid 4, but i chose mgs4 i loved mgs4 and im a fan since metal gear solid 1

I hear ya on that. I wanted to vote for VC, but I couldn't bring myself to when MGS4 is on the same list. If I'd had enough time to beat VC by now it may have gotten my vote, but I won't be able to devote much time to it until after finals :(
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=Magma Kangaroo]Sunflower....

That's a last year release, just a port with some added content to PS3. Same reason Okami on the Wii isn't eligible. Sorry, we all know it'd win anyway :)[/quote]

Hah!
    A very witty, and credible retort Sunflower! :lol:

Well, given the widely varying choices......
    I have to vote for Resistence 2, a rather ironic occurence, considering that Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favorite ps2 game!
  • I voted Resistance allthough going from the beta I still felt it to be the best co-op on the PS3.
    I liked the original was my first true onlnie games and since then I have yet to find a game that boast such class. COD 4 has host ended game and lag with little option but Resistance 2 is not perfect but it's fun and has last-a-bility. Nice post too Sunflower noobie for you. No mtorstorm 2 which deserved it more than WAW just out of the fact that WAW didn't feel completely new.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4.

For all the people who constantly say "this game is like playing a movie!". Well, if that's the case, then you obviously don't enjoy Metal Gear Solid, so why would you play it? Just to complain about it?

Anyway, the reason this deserves the PS3 award is because the gameplay was absolutely spot-on, the game was well-balanced delivering the goods constantly. The storyline is just epic, you can't get any better than MGS when it comes to a storyline. Hideo is a genious, and MGS4 was just another masterpiece he decided to make :)

Snake? Snaakkke? SNAAAKKEK!!
  • keyransolo said:
    Metal Gear Solid 4.

For all the people who constantly say "this game is like playing a movie!". Well, if that's the case, then you obviously don't enjoy Metal Gear Solid, so why would you play it? Just to complain about it?

Anyway, the reason this deserves the PS3 award is because the gameplay was absolutely spot-on, the game was well-balanced delivering the goods constantly. The storyline is just epic, you can't get any better than MGS when it comes to a storyline. Hideo is a genious, and MGS4 was just another masterpiece he decided to make :)

Snake? Snaakkke? SNAAAKKEK!!

I give it to MGS4 purely on Act 4 alone.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4. THE reason I bought a PS3. And unlike Crisis Core, I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. I NEVER play through games twice but I did for MGS4 - once ordinarily, once making sure I never used a health item, got an alert or killed anyone etc. And it works so well in both ways. Making it my game of the year. And I didn't even care about Metal Gear before this year!
  • i understand why its not there but if it were my vote would have gone bioshock

however as its not there i have to choose mgs4, not so much the main game, which was good but i only played through once, but for mgo which i lost alot of hours to.

i dont think gta deserves it , they already get their dicks sucked by all the mainstream gaming media anyway and i dont think noobtoob needs to stoop down to that level.
  • I voted for Metal Gear Solid 4, i loved the game so much. It is one of the only games i keep completing numerous times, hell i bought a Dualshock 3 just so i could see a variation of a certain boss battle. I would just spend hours fighting at points where the enemys respawned just becuase i enjoyed it so much. So what you want about the cutscenes but i watched all of them and loved every single one. I cant really say more than i fucking love this game!. :D
  • This is an incredibly difficult choice.
    MGS4 was an incredible experience with an ending battle that almost made me cry because of the emotions of the situation.
    Littlebigplanet is unlike anything I have ever seen and I am interested in finally digging into the level creator and seeing what I can do.
    Fallout 3 is awesome, involving, vast, and fun.
    Resistance 2 is addictive as hell (freakin co-op is awesome, please all noobtoobers add me: feralwolf13, so we can play together)

But I always root for the underdog, and Valkyria Chronicles is doing something to a genre that has become stagnant by infusing it with great mechanics, a killer art style, and some thing that Square Enix can't seem to get into their tactics games anymore, a really gripping story.
  • fuck this was a tough choice for me between fallout 3 and LBP eventually i went towards LBP because i can see me playing that game for many more months and its fun as all hell.

God i hope MGS4 doesnt win!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week