Best PC Game of 2008
  • What game has stood above the others on the beloved PC?

[center:965d96a0fb]image[/center:965d96a0fb]

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    Release: Nov 13, 2008
    Genre: Fantasy Online Role-Playing

The second expansion pack for World of Warcraft opens up the frigid realm of Northrend to explore, and adds the new playable Death Knight class.

Spore
    Release: Sep 7, 2008
    Genre: Strategy

Spore is a simulation game created by Will Wright that allows players to control various life forms from the cellular to the galactic level.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
    Release: Sep 15, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Clear Sky is the prequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and takes place a year earlier, when the unstable Zone is causing anomalous activity galore.

Far Cry 2
    Release: Oct 21, 2008
    Genre: Modern First-Person Shooter

Far Cry 2 takes place in a huge territory in South Africa and features day-night cycles, mercenary characters, wildfires, and much more.

Sins of a Solar Empire
    Release: Feb 4, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi Real-Time Strategy

Sins of a Solar Empire is a massive space strategy game that lets you create huge fleets of starship and conquer the universe.

Crysis Warhead
    Release: Sep 16, 2008
    Genre: Modern First-Person Shooter

Don the nanosuit of Sergeant Sykes, aka 'Psycho,' and experience a storyline parallel to the events of the original game.

Left 4 Dead
    Release: Nov 18, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Using the Counter-Strike Source Engine, Left 4 Dead has a group of four unlikely heroes band together to battle hordes of infected.

Fallout 3
    Release: Oct 28, 2008
    Genre: Role-Playing

Fallout 3 is a follow-up to the classic post-apocalyptic role-playing series with all-new 3D graphics, new gameplay, and a brand-new story.

World of Goo
    Release: Oct 17, 2008
    Genre: Puzzle

You'll be using dozens of goo droplets to build elaborate structures in this PC puzzle game.
  • How come World of Goo is only with PC 'best of'? It's on Wii, too.
  • WesFX said:
    How come World of Goo is only with PC 'best of'? It's on Wii, too.

Because we hate the wii and we hate you.

Seriously, why don't you PM me your selections for all these categories. Not who you think should win, but your actual choices you think should even qualify. I'll make it easier for you, and even let you choose 1 less game per category. Then after a week goes by and I actually recieve your PM, I will take the time to harshly criticize your hard work and research and point out why certain games are just too simply stupid choices made by a stupid person. I think then maybe, maybe, you'll understand what a fucking douche you sound like right now.
  • WOLTK by far. check my review for thoughts on it.

Spore kinda fell flat for me in the end. Its great making stuff and playing god but after that there is just nothing to do with your creations
  • I finally got my old account back yesterday on WoW and picked up WotLK. Played it for about 14 hours yesterday and today, lol. It's amazing.
  • Oh come on!? No love for the various Sims expansions!?

-Exmas :)
  • How the hell do you have Spore and not Warhammer: Age of Reckoning ?
  • Killswitch said:
    How the hell do you have Spore and not Warhammer: Age of Reckoning ?

Or Age of Conan... that was this year, right?
  • mmm i am not sure with this one, it is kinda between fallout 3, left 4 dead and World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, but since i am having lots of fun with World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King right now, il go for that
  • quahgg said:
    [quote=WesFX]How come World of Goo is only with PC 'best of'? It's on Wii, too.

Seriously, why don't you PM me your selections for all these categories. Not who you think should win, but your actual choices you think should even qualify. I'll make it easier for you, and even let you choose 1 less game per category. Then after a week goes by and I actually recieve your PM, I will take the time to harshly criticize your hard work and research and point out why certain games are just too simply stupid choices made by a stupid person. I think then maybe, maybe, you'll understand what a fucking douche you sound like right now.[/quote]

Personally I think he does have a point. I myself think that the system should be refined for next year. With users submitting suggestions a couple of weeks before and then the mods choosing the nominees. It would give everyone the chance to voice their thoughts plus it would probably make this job easier on you guys.

Anyways, back to topic. WotLK is hands down the best [s:b74c34cf82] PC [/s:b74c34cf82] game to be released this year. Its an expansion with as much content as most full priced games. It also raised the bar considerably in the MMO genre. Beating WoW has become very close to impossible for other MMO developers.
  • Avaloner said:
    Personally I think he does have a point. I myself think that the system should be refined for next year. With users submitting suggestions a couple of weeks before and then the mods choosing the nominees. It would give everyone the chance to voice their thoughts plus it would probably make this job easier on you guys.

We did that the year before, and it did NOT work out well. And it was a combination of things that contributed to it not working well.
  • Well I was not a member last year so I cannot comment on that. I am sure there is a better solution though. Anyways this is not the place or time to discuss it so I will just sign out.
  • I voted WotLK. The game is amazing. The new content is fantastically fun and I have spent many, MANY hours on it.
  • Fallout 3 (PERIOD!).
  • WOTLK is indeed a nice expansion pack, some new content is nice for anyone stuck at level 70 for a while.
    But I have such a love/hate relationship with WoW, I haven't been excited by anything new there yet.
    Played a little Fallout 3 too - maybe it's just me or maybe I should have given it more time, but damn I got bored fast with that one.
    Spore is a great game (I'm so glad it is here - still not sure why it would also be in the Biggest Disappointment category...) but it just can't quite live up to Left 4 Dead. Damn that is an incredible game. Props to Valve, again.
  • Dont forget that a game can dissapoint on a really high level, that is why Spore is on both. The game is not complete trash, but it just does not provide what *most* people expected.
  • ExmasCarroll said:
    [quote=Killswitch]How the hell do you have Spore and not Warhammer: Age of Reckoning ?

Or Age of Conan... that was this year, right?[/quote]

Because AoC was a huge flop, seriously half of all the free 1st month subscriptions did not renew.
  • Sins of a Solar Empire is an awesome game, glad to see it up there. These days good strategy games are hard to come by but SSE is such a throwback to my old hardcore RTS gaming days.
  • It had to be STALKER: Clear Sky for me, that game was such a huge improvement on the origonal in every way. The graphics better, gameplay smoother, the plot better and the atmosphere it gave off is one of the best ive ever experienced.
  • I had to go with SPORE, as it was something totally new and definitely was filled with ingenuity mixed with charm. SPORE is a great platform and creation tool that will be on my PC forever, as you can always go back and dip into your own little universe.
  • Far cry 2 here. I think in the PC version the Map editor really shines and its a good game :3

WoTLK isnt fair >.>
  • Yeah I chose the WOW expansion, mainly because I know it will keep my interest (read obsession) for a long time. It's a good addition to the Warcraft games, with adding a continuation and possibily a finalee to the Arthas/Lich King Storyline.
  • I have to go for WOW sheerly for the fact that atm its taking up about 90% of my spare time, but that should change on christmass day
  • quahgg said:
    [quote=WesFX]How come World of Goo is only with PC 'best of'? It's on Wii, too.

Seriously, why don't you PM me your selections for all these categories. Not who you think should win, but your actual choices you think should even qualify. I'll make it easier for you, and even let you choose 1 less game per category. Then after a week goes by and I actually recieve your PM, I will take the time to harshly criticize your hard work and research and point out why certain games are just too simply stupid choices made by a stupid person. I think then maybe, maybe, you'll understand what a fucking douche you sound like right now.[/quote]

quahgg,

I was going to PM you, but then thought you didn't extend the same courtesy to WesFX. I am not going to speak to the argument you two are having at all, but I'm going to speak to you as an individual.

Reread what you replied with. Then wonder who's sounding like a douche. There are site rules in place. If you feel he has violated them then feel free to take the appropriate action. You need to really take a step back and think about what your perception is as a member of this board. As a fellow member regardless of your "rank" your actions are inappropriate and unacceptable. It doesn't look good. If you put a lot of work into this then thanks for doing that. You are violating the rules as it stands. To the admin's who have participated in this thread, with all due respect (and I love everyone here mind you) you need to moderate your own team in the same manner you'd moderate the rest of "us".

Don't be a dick. You're not promoting the right behaviour on the boards.
  • Decker said:
    [quote=quahgg][quote=WesFX]How come World of Goo is only with PC 'best of'? It's on Wii, too.

quahgg,

I was going to PM you, but then thought you didn't extend the same courtesy to WesFX. I am not going to speak to the argument you two are having at all, but I'm going to speak to you as an individual.

Reread what you replied with. Then wonder who's sounding like a douche. There are site rules in place. If you feel he has violated them then feel free to take the appropriate action. You need to really take a step back and think about what your perception is as a member of this board. As a fellow member regardless of your "rank" your actions are inappropriate and unacceptable. It doesn't look good. If you put a lot of work into this then thanks for doing that. You are violating the rules as it stands. To the admin's who have participated in this thread, with all due respect (and I love everyone here mind you) you need to moderate your own team in the same manner you'd moderate the rest of "us".

Don't be a dick. You're not promoting the right behaviour on the boards.[/quote]

This has already been completely squashed a day or so ago, I'd like for everyone to talk about PC games of the year, please.
  • Tottaly has to be WoW : WotLK, I mean, what other game has gotten people not associated with playing games at all to devote so much time into that universe? I congratulate Blizzard for being able to suck so many people into their game and keep em coming back for more :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week