Best Handheld Game of 2008
  • Cast your vote here for the best handheld game - that's DS and PSP for the sake of convenience - of 2008. It's been a fairly bleak year for the handhelds, but what is there has been of high quality. It'll be a tough fight all around to see who's your top choice for the year!

Remember to discuss your choice here in the topic.

[center:760afd3f8e]image[/center:760afd3f8e]

The World Ends With You (DS)
    Release: Apr 21, 2008
    Genre: Action Role-Playing

The World Ends With You is an anime-inspired game set in modern day Tokyo, from the team that made Kingdom Hearts.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
    Release: Mar 24, 2008
    Genre: Action Role-Playing

Set seven years prior to Final Fantasty VII, this game follows the adventures of Zack, a soldier in the Shinra Corporation.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    Release: Oct 21, 2008
    Genre: 2D Platformer

Konami's classic series returns to Nintendo's portable in this new adventure.

Patapon (PSP)
    Release: Feb 26, 2008
    Genre: 2D Platformer

In this quirky strategy game that mixes strategy with rhythm, you play as an all-powerful guide who must guide your tribe of worshippers to victory.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)
    Release: Feb 10, 2008
    Genre: Edutainment

Professor Layton and the Curious Village has you using skills such as reasoning, knowledge and creativity to solve various puzzles.

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)
    Release: Mar 4, 2008
    Genre: Fantasy Action Adventure

Chains of Olympus sees the return of angry demigod Kratos as he hacks and slashes his way through an ultra-violent adventure on the PSP.

Chrono Trigger (DS)
    Release: Nov 25, 2008
    Genre: Role-Playing

The classic SNES game makes its way to the Nintendo DS featuring dual-screen presentation and touch-screen functionality.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
    Release: Feb 19, 2008
    Genre: Adventure

The Ace Attorney series gets a new leading man - Apollo Justice, a lawyer at the beginning of his career.
  • Oh wow, this was a hard choice for the handheld game of the year. There were a ton up here that I thought deserved the win, and I found myself nearly clicking a couple of them, only to stop mid click and choose a different one.

In the end my vote went to Professor Layton. This game was fun and original, and it achieved something in gaming that many games have failed to do. It game the user a chance to complete puzzles in order to procede in the story. Each and every puzzle, save maybe the princess in the box one, was unique and interesting and they all really got me thinking. I really loved the story, the twists and turns, really kept me wanting more.

My other choices would have been: The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger, or Crisis Core. Crisis Core may have won it for me if it would have come out later in the year. So much other things have come out since then that I had completely forgotten that this game was an 08 release.

The World Ends With You was a really really close second. I can't tell you how many hours I put into this game. Maybe somewhere over 50 or 60? I played through the story mode and absolutely loved it! The characters were a bit bitchy and whiny at times, but after you get the overall picture for the game, you'll learn to understand. It's gonna be a close one for the Handheld game, I can feel it.
  • This is a tough one - each game on this list is fantastic. In the end I chose God of War Chains Of Olympus - this is probably one of the best action games on a handheld ever. The only downfall I think this game had is the quick time sequences as I hate those in games.
  • Yeesh. I haven't played any of these, yet.
  • the world ends with you ftw =)
  • I have a feeling that when I get my hands on Layton it will be my favourite but for now in the interest of fairness I have to go with a game I have played so Crises Core gets my vote
  • Total toss-up between Crisis Core and God of War, but in the end I think Crisis Core was a bit longer.
  • It was either gonna be Layton or TWEWY, and I had to choose TWEWY. It brought something very new to the table, and is one of the few games I played non-stop until I beat it. It all gets very surreal and bizarre towards the end, but I was hooked all the way through.
  • I really liked Crisys Core, but I had to go with God of War in the end..
  • i loved god of war on psp and i still am playing it and guess what a few days ago i beat it in GOD mode hell yeh bitch
  • I hate that I lost my PSP and my DS broke... I can't vote on anything really. I hope Xbox comes out with a hand held it would be legendary
  • I tried to like TWEWY, I really did but the combat just never seemed to click for me. My vote is Layton because it actually made me think hard for a change and I loved the feeling when I completed a puzzle.
  • I have thoroughly played each of the games proposed....
    I must admit, I loathe myself for the swelling sensation of joy when I play one particular game...

The cynical flames of my heart fail to taint the glory of this particular game.....

Goddamn you Square Enix....
    Damn you from straying from Final Fantasy....
    Damn you for releasing an original rpg on the DS!!!!
    Damn you for the little publicity and advertising, I was completely surprised....
    Damn you for forcing me to admit..... That I simply adore The World Ends With You....

I said it! I actually enjoy a Japanese rpg, on the Ds of all things!
    :roll:
  • My vote goes to Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney because it adds to one of my favorite hand-held series ever, and this game rules :D
  • Crisis Core is my winner.
  • Crono Trigger, need I say more?
  • Because i hardly play my psp now days (i use it as a media center). i play ALOT of ds.
    My vote. 'World ends with you' a very exciting game, that brings something new.
  • well, since my favorite isn't on the list (advance wars: days of ruin), I put down my #2.
  • It had to be The World Ends with You. That was such a joy to play from beginning to end, cracking story, great gameplay and a brilliant soundtrack.
  • I feel sorta bad since in this list of Handheld Game of the Year, I only played about half of them. Those being Crisis Core, Patapon and God of War. Out of those three, I'd pick Crisis Core as the best. God of War was amazing, yes but it was too short in my opinion. And Patapon was fun, but I didn't play it for that much. Crisis Core didn't really disappoint me other than the ending which I was dreading when I began playing but other than that, I have no real complaints.I heard great things about Layton and World Ends With You and I do plan to play those and Chrono Trigger is unfortunately a game I missed out on the other two times it was released and I plan to get it this time.
  • Have to go with FF7 Crisis Core - 20 hours of pure awesome.
  • What?! No PocketVG?
  • Final Fantasy IV DS should have been there :(
    Falls to Crisis Core then. The reason I bought a PSP. Really good game. Can't wait for the next FFVII game! Oh, plus, I can't vote Chrono Trigger as the damn game isn't out in the UK until next year. I hope I'm willing to get it then...
  • Patapon. I'm not really sure why but I love this game, just something about it.
  • The World Ends With You ftw. I put a total of 200 hours in that game, it's one of my all time favorites and probably always stay one.
  • Professor Layton.
    I always did love to play with matchsticks!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week