Best New IP of 2008
  • Here, cast your vote for the best new IP of 2008! Remember, sequels or games built on the lore of a previously-released game are not eligible!

Also, feel free to discuss what you have chosen and why!

[center:9f84192e2d]image[/center:9f84192e2d]

Sins of a Solar Empire (PC)
    Release: Feb 4, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi Real-Time Strategy

Sins of a Solar Empire is a massive space strategy game that lets you create huge fleets of starship and conquer the universe.

Boom Blox (Wii)
    Release: May 6, 2008
    Genre: Puzzle

This action-puzzle hybrid game is a collaboration between EA and Steven Spielberg that features a variety of family-friendly game modes.

Spore (PC)
    Release: Sep 7, 2008
    Genre: Strategy

Spore is a simulation game created by Will Wright that allows players to control various life forms from the cellular to the galactic level.

Dead Space (Multi)
    Release: Oct 13, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi Shooter

Dead Space is a survival-horror game in which you must explore terrifying environments and battle disgusting monstrosities.

LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
    Release: Oct 27, 2008
    Genre: Platformer

Little Big Planet is both a multiplayer platformer and a community-based toolset that lets you build your own levels to share on the PlayStation Network.

Mirror's Edge (Multi)
    Release: Nov 11, 2008
    Genre: Modern First-Person Shooter

EA DICE's new first-person action adventure game will allow you to move in ways never before seen in a first-person game.

Left 4 Dead (Multi)
    Release: Nov 17, 2008
    Genre: Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter

Using the Counter-Strike Source Engine, Left 4 Dead has a group of four unlikely heroes band together to battle hordes of infected.
  • I would have voted for Little Big Planet on this one, but I think that Mirrors Edge was just a bit better when you are talking original IP's. Mirrors Edge did something totally unique and interesting, that it almost gave you this Portal esque feeling of leaving you with wanting more.

The way the first person view was used in this game was phenomenal, and it was done in a way that made you feel like you really were Faith. Sprinting through levels, running from the cops, made you heart beat faster and made the game all the more intense.
  • I chose Left 4 Dead. It's probably given me the best multiplayer gaming experience since MLG for the original Halo.
  • Dead Space has my vote. This game was a great new franchise to meet.
  • Its so hard between L4D and Dead Space. Both games I love. Both games I hope get sequels.
  • Looking at this in terms of sequel potential, none of these are very good.
    Simply because all of them were very fully realized.
  • Had to be Mirror's Edge to me. Great fun game, with a few poor design choices in parts, but generally enjoyable. I loved the cast, and the ending totally demands a sequel.

[spoiler:c00190fa1f]Many complaints about how the game doesn't do combat right, and yet we end Mirror's Edge with a team of three. Platforming segments as Faith, combat segments as Miller - more sturdy and able to survive fire - and maybe using Kate to garner the balance we had with Faith in this game? The plot demands a higher-octane sequel where you actually start to take down the government.[/spoiler:c00190fa1f]
  • For me it has got to be Mirror's Edge, for having an original background story and providing a unique touch to gaming. I hope they are going to use the potential and make this a great franchise.
    With the other candidates I just do not see as much potential for expansion of their universe.
  • I voted Mirrors Edge It was a great new game and was a nice twist to gaming. I really hope the plan to make sequels because it has a lot of potential.
  • WesFX said:
    Looking at this in terms of sequel potential, none of these are very good.

Are you kidding me? L4D had only four campaigns! They could crank out a set of four every year until the next console generation (which they won't... but they could).
    All of these IPs are great new editions to the world of gaming. And, while Mirror's Edge may be the most original in terms of what it is, and Spore may be the most original in terms of what it does.... Dead Space is the game I enjoyed the most--it gets my vote.
  • LittleBigPlanet gets my vote.
  • hp1703 said:
    [quote=WesFX]Looking at this in terms of sequel potential, none of these are very good.

Are you kidding me? L4D had only four campaigns! They could crank out a set of four every year until the next console generation (which they won't... but they could).
    All of these IPs are great new editions to the world of gaming. And, while Mirror's Edge may be the most original in terms of what it is, and Spore may be the most original in terms of what it does.... Dead Space is the game I enjoyed the most--it gets my vote.[/quote]

That's just it. What would you expect out of sequels to these games? More of the same, I'm guessing. I mean, I can see that that is the meaning of "great" here for others, that you could keep playing under the same parameters for a long time, but for me, a good new IP is something that has room to grow in the gameplay department. In a good way.
  • I went for LBP simply because I love to create. I have no talent in creating levels but just to make a ramp or a rocket balloon husky with a couple of real life friends is awesome. I beat the story mode and I must say it's pretty satisfying.
  • I have to give this to Mirror's Edge. Not because the other games are great...but because I think it was the most original and has the most potential to get better.

Dead Space...Space Marine? Deep down..that's been done before. Not taking anything from the game...I'm sure the dismemberment technique was awesome...but its still about a space marine stranded in space with aliens.

Left 4 Dead: Zombies Survival.

Meh...

:-) Mirror's Edge....It ended in a bit of a meh way..but I'm excited for a sequel.
  • I think Left 4 Dead is also the best in this section. Playing as the zombies is a great idea - fantastic fun on a LAN server. :D
  • Left 4 Dead for me here. It's the first game thats gone full multiplayer (Since noone should buy it for single player) and done it damn well. Plus the guys that made L4D need all the praise they can get these guys where independant modders doing it for fun and Valve certainly took notice of them. ;)
  • Left4Dead blows everything else out of the water for me. The PC version in any case.
  • Little Big Planet.

Such a unique and creative game that could potentially last forever based on the amount of user-generated levels people have made around the world. LBP is the sort of game that reminds you what games are supposed to be - FUN.
  • Dead Space
    Tough call for me between SPORE and Dead Space. I probably would have given this to Mirror's Edge had I played the game, but I had a lot of fun with Dead Space so it gets my vote.

Tactical dismemberment and necromorphs are sweet. Zero G was pretty cool too - I thought that Dead Space was a tight, complete package - whereas Spore didn't quite get the fine tuning down with regards to gameplay so Deadspace squeaks by.
  • I chose Mirrors Edge, i like the game and love the concept. though i think it has much room to improve. :O
  • Mirror's Edge has my vote.
  • My vote HAS to go to LittleBigPlanet. The people at Media Molecule has crafted an outstanding new IP.
  • Would have voted for No More Heroes, but it wasn't there. I chose LittleBigPlanet, mainly because I think it looks awesome and I can't wait to play it at Christmas. Along with like the 5 other games I'm gunna get. This Christmas is going to be hectic.
  • Boy I really want to try little big planet but... Its not worth buying a PS3 for it. Maybe I could rent one...hmm
  • Tough category, but in the end I had to go with Left 4 Dead. I've been loving the shit out of that game ever since I jumped into versus mode. It alone delivers more thrills and flat out awesome moments than any other IP this year. Even Dead Space.
  • I feel retarded asking this, but what does IP stand for? Introductory platform? Improvable playstyle? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, it must be innovative something...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week