Listener Homework: How often do you have to cheat at games?
  • This week's homework assignment is to tell us, in 250 words or more, the following:

* How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?
    * Do you feel looking up the answers is cheating? Does it take the fun out of it for you?
    * Do you use cheat codes, and what do you think of people who use them.

Hopefully should prove to be some interesting discussion. We already talked about what we think of them, how bout you guys?

Yw
  • ((Suggestion: Ok, so the 250 words or more thing is a little much, not all of us have that much to say about certain subjects. How about just one or more sentence per question?))

1) If I ever get completely stuck, I just ask a friend for help, and it's usually not just blatantly telling me what exactly needs to be done.
    2) I don't think it's cheating if the developers put some rediculously hard/impossible without someone telling you puzzles in. It's actually helpful to the experience, since nobody wants to get frustrated and stop playing. (Main reason why I don't finish games is because I have to attempt the same stuff over and over.)
    3) I use cheat codes if they're fun, but I stay away from noobish ones like 'infinite anything', since you don't even have to try. It ammounts to wiggling your wingers while looking at a screen for hours.
  • * How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?
    * Do you feel looking up the answers is cheating? Does it take the fun out of it for you?

1. I occasionally go to gamefaqs but only if i am really stumped and have been on that part of a level for an hour plus which is very rarely.(It usually turns out 2 be something simple i over complicate things in games, you see i expect games to actually test me mentally whereas uaually its a piss easy puzzle like but this ball on a switch and you can get through the door.)
    2.I feel that looking up answers to puzzles is cheating yeah because that puzzle is part of the game and if you cheat on a puzzle you will finish the game quicker than everyone and think you are the big man at games whereas really your a whining ass little cheater.
    3.I used to use cheat codes all the time when i was younger to unlock things but now i like to see all the things i have unlocked as an achievement of how good i am at gaming (or in most cases how shit i am).It feels soo good to say something like have you unlocked the bandanna yet (metal gear solid) to a mate. Its like rubbing it in his face that i'm a better gamer. Thats why i love achievement points too because i am catching up to my mates 4000 and he has had the console since release and me since this Christmas.
  • *How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?
    **Do you feel looking up the answers is cheating? Does it take the fun out of it for you?
    ***Do you use cheat codes, and what do you think of people who use them

*Not often, I've only ever used GameFAQs for Final Fantasy X, destruction spheres are annoying ¬_¬ && some Animal Crossing. I've never bought a strategy guide, although I was tempted for World of Warcraft TBC, for the new racial quests.
    **As for cheating, it would depend on the game. Obviously questing in MMORPG's like WOW where the quest would give you experience etc Looking up things like that I would class at cheating a little since the exp would in turn mean you lvl up & have an advantage PvP wise. However things like AA:WW & Psychonauts I wouldn't say that was cheating. GameFAQs do spoil some of the fun, but when a game is stupid hard then its quite relieving :]
    ***I don’t use cheat codes, spoils the fun for me I think. I don’t really care if other people use them, doesn’t effect me. UNLESS; they beat a game before me because they put some sort of 'infinite health' code in. THAT is a major peeve.
    All in all i try not to use ANY type of cheat/FAQ/etc, but when game developers make stupid hard games it's either I throw the console at the wall in frustration or I use a simple FAQ ?? Think I'd rather save the hassle of buying a new console :]

:D :D :D
  • I don't cheat, ever. Even if I've beaten the shit out of a game. I've got a few reasons why...

First off, the developers spend a TON of time tweaking the game to find the right balance of challenge vs frustration. I don't like to put their hard work on the shelf and cheat my ass through a game just to finish it. I've got a little more respect for that, and if you immediately cheat while playing a game, you're REALLY robbing yourself of the experience. Imagine Resident Evil where you can't die--there is no terror involved, when you're hurt and trying to make it back to a save point. These are important experiences you need to be a part of, and I could never bastardize my $50-60-70 purchase by fucking around with it like that.

As far as PUZZLES go though, I have no problem checking on gamefaqs because I hate the piss out of a puzzle I can't get in 3 mins. However, I don't view that as really cheating, so much as I view it as me being mentally deficient and having no tolerance for SITTING THERE and thinking. I've always gotta be doing something.

I do remember the days of the Game Genie for NES, and making my own codes just to fuck with the game. SMB for instance, I made some random code that had the goombas flying past you as fast as a turtle shell that was kicked, and making the bullet bill noise. :) Good times!
  • Depends on the game. Certain games beg for me to cheat, such as the sims and tycoon games. I have to much creativity and need lots of cash to do what I want.

If it's a fighting game well... do they count cheating as looking up moves? If so in that genre I cheat alot. Otherwise little if at all.

RPG's.... wtf? What's the point? RPG's are storys with puzzles if done right. If you cheat you may as well just read a book or watch a movie.

Platformers. Man this is so individual it is scary. I play them through generally then cheat like hell to get 100%.

Sandbox. I never 100% one of these, and thats cause I refuse to cheat that much. To get everything you really need a book or alot of time. If I read a book I try to make it an actual book and not one on how to play a game.... usually.

FPS. Absolutely, although I try really damn hard to complete a level without them. Once I have though, screw it. Unlimited Ammo, Unlimited Health, All Weapons and see what I can make blow up and shoot across the screen.

Special Exceptions? Of course. If you ever played Contra for the NES you fuckin cheated. Period. In fact, if you started a game without the cheats you were lucky to progress pass the spot it turns from side scrolling to up-down scrolling. That's if you didn't just hit the reset button and hoped that the NES read your game right again.
  • I never allow myself to take the easy route when I get stuck in game, be it by searching for a walkthrough on the Internet or by using a strategy guide. However, I do buy strategy guides for games such as Final Fantasy, where there's a chance that you will miss out on quite a large portion of the product if you choose to avoid reading up about side quests or other "hidden" components of the game.

I do feel that if you look up answers to problems you are cheating, but more importantly that you aren't playing the game how the developers intended for you to play it. This could leave you with a skewed perspective/opinion of the title, and I do consider that to be quite a major thing, hence my strict refusal to have a sly nip over to GameFAQs whenever I'm faced with a problem.

What do I think of people who use cheat codes? They can suite themselves, as far as I'm concerned. But I will always argue that the satisfaction that comes with completing a tough game is always well worth persisting through the frustration for.
  • I usually use gamefaqs more for looking up easter eggs and secrets rather than outright cheating. I never use things like invulnerability codes or level skips.

I'll also look at FAQs sometimes if I get really stuck in a puzzle or adventure game, which means that I've spent at least 30-60 minutes in one place and am completely stuck. Half the time in that sort of situation it winds up being that I missed something that wound up being a pixel hunt or obscured by a shitty camera. The other half it's one of those stupid, osbscure puzzles that's essentially random, or my own ideas were hampered by the game's control or physics limitations. (For instance, in Phoenix Wright I often knew exactly what I wanted to say, but the game would bitch at me because where I thought it made sense to show a piece of evidence isn't what the designers wanted. If I could have specified my own dialog, I would have liked it better.)

FWIW, I also usually try to play games the first time through on a 'medium' or 'default' difficulty if they offer that. I'mm sometimes go lower if it's a genre I'm not as good at, which is why I played Gears of War on casual. The one big time I can remember changing after I started was for the Prince of Persia: Two Thrones game. I loved the puzzle action, but the combat was just so aggravating and annoying that I restarted on a lower difficulty level. All the puzzles stayed the same, I just had less combat to deal with -- and that made the game much more enjoyable.
  • It really depends on the game. I buy only strategy guides for games that are big like FF12 and Oblivion, it's more of because in case i get stuck with some of the side quests or just to get some help with the gigantic amount of stuff there is to do. And also maps are incredibly useful and the bestiary is always helpful. I couldn't get the same help from game faq on the same game because it's just too much text and it seems hard to find your place, instead a strategy guide is more organized, with pictures and maps which really help. So a guide for a big RPG like Final Fantasy: Yes. A strategy guide for a game like Gears of War: No.
    I really only use cheats in the GTA series, not for the missions but when i want to do like an enormous mess and go on a rampage by my self, i'll use the weapon cheat and when the cops come i'll use the life cheat for the cars and for more ammo ect... but i will never save after that and during missions i might use the health cheat some times (especially on missions where you have to go against time and the cars tend to blow up more easy) but never use the no cops or infinite ammo cheat... that ruins the fun.
  • 1. I cheat if i bought a game, just for the multiplayer, but still want to get the story of the single player campaign.

2. I use a FAQ if i am very stuck, i was seriously stuck at a CnC campaign mission, and just said "Fuck It!" after i played the same map 3 times and died.

Conclusion: I use it when my patience ends and i really need to get to a new level of the game :D
  • 1. I only go to gamefaqs because I am so entirely fucked after 2-3 hours of trying to figure something out. Even then, half the time I will take a break and come back to the game the following week.

2. Hell yes looking up the answers is cheating!

3. I do not use cheat codes because they are cheating (hecne the cheat in the cheat codes)
  • 1. i never look at guides until i have beaten a game atleast once. even if it takes me weeks to get past one part.
    2. i personally think the looking for help online or from friends is cheating.
    3. i NEVER use cheat codes, even if i have beaten a game multiple times. i don't really care if other people use them, so long as it isn't an online game.
  • yuzo said:
    This week's homework assignment is to tell us, in 250 words or more, the following:

* How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?

Hopefully should prove to be some interesting discussion. We already talked about what we think of them, how bout you guys?

Yw

* I go to gamefaqs once in a when I get stuck in a place thats a bitch to get out. While doing that I try and make sure I don't read anything else so that nothing get spoiled. I don't really use strategy guides, I would use GameFAQs before getting a strategy guild for the price alone :lol:.

* Now this question is open, Do I feel that looking up answers is cheating? I'm thinking it mean when you get stuck or don't know how to do something in the game: My answer to the question is maybe, I say maybe because if you are just being lazy and want to get though a game really quick and look at what to do than yes you are cheating but if your really stuck and cannot find out what to do next and you look at how to do that part than I say no it's not cheating. For the next part of the question: Does it take the fun out of it for you? Yes, if you constantly look at a strategy guide and want to find out where everything is and what you have to do next. No, If only you looked a strategy guide a few times to find out where or what you have to do and than stop reading and continue the game.

* Do I use cheat codes: When I was younger I use to play a game and bombard it with cheat codes, for infinite live, health, weapons, etc. I remember a cheat for game called Shadow Run for the Genesis and it goes: A B B A C A B START. You could get just about anything you wanted in the game. Now that I a older I find that using cheat codes are a way to ruin the fun. Now for the question: Yes, I still use cheat codes (and no) but only and only if I beaten the game, for example: If I played GTA:SA I would beat the game without cheat codes and when I beat it than and if I wanted to play again, I could use cheat codes. For the second part of the question: What do I think of people who use cheat codes? I think that there ruining the game, if they use them the first time around. If they did indeed beat the game than I have no problem with them using cheat codes cause you already went though the game and your going playing it again, so why not cheat?
    But for other people who like to cheat It really does take all the fun out of it.
    The end of a long ass rant :lol:
    Anyways Cya

TRFS
  • 1) erm, I only use Gamefaqs when I've been stuck in one place for a looong time, 'cause after that I'm just getting bored of that place and starting to get a bit pissed off. and a lot of the time there are game scripts on Gamefaqs, and some of the quotes from the game are just kickass, AND half the time I can't remember them, so that helps :P

2) in my books if you get really pissed off at one part, then go look for help, in a way its still cheating, but no way as bad as having a walkthrough open while you're playing and just sticking to the guide. that just takes the experience away, and then I got nothing to play for really, so the sense of achievement is goooone! :shock:

3) Nah I don't. I do stuff like.. in GoWII when you've done the game once, you can find thse urn things and activate them, and you can get stuff like 10X red orbs, and unlimited magic, BUT you can only use them when you've been through the game once before, and you can turn them on and off at your own will, so I duno if its real cheating or not :P
    To people who do use cheat codes, I dont really care if they do, but I reeallly wouldn't, like I said it takes away the whole experience. say if I'm doin a really difficult part, the adrenaline rush just wouldn't be the same if I knew I couldn't die at any second.
    and sometimes I'll use cheats for fun, like when I've just beaten the shit out of a game, then I find some funny tricks and cheats online, I'll do that for fun :)
  • * How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?

* I do go onto websites like gamefaqs or gamespot to look up online strategy guides, but usually when I do it's to locate collectible items, like for example the figments and the psi-cards from Psychonauts in the hopes of attaining the coveted level 100 to get the secret bonus ending (haven't got it yet). I don't normally use them to find out how to beat the bosses, as I usually try to beat them on my own (which is easy since my game stock mostly contains RPG and Action/Adventure).

** I don't feel that it's cheating if I'm using it to find stuff, because if I want to have more fun on a game, I make sure I collect the collectibles as much as I can because if I do the game is more fun for me. I mean, how bummed would I be if I can never attained the coveted level 100 and see the bonus ending after defeating ruthless butchers and meat circuses at the end of the game? (still bummed). However, if I used cheat codes, like getting easy experience points, I have to say it does take some of the fun out of the game because I get invincible sooner. On the other hand I'm a very impatient person and I dislike having to slave hours just to get the ultimate weapons or trying to level up, but I do feel disinterested in the game after using cheats for a while.

*** I do sometimes use cheat codes, and as for what I think of people who use them, I am indifferent.

only with certain games that would still be fun, but has very difficult spots. i only use it for the monkey island games and grim fandango at the moment

hell yes, it cheating, its getting the answers to everything with no effort whatsoever.

i hate those who use cheat codes and then claim the beat the game. i only used cheat codes in one game and that was extreme g 3.

1. Generally not that often, but if I do get stuck somewhere then it doesn't take me long to get fed up and look up the answer on the internet.

2.Depending on the situation, looking up the answers could be considered cheating, but it could also be considered saving yourself some time. Games are supposed to be entertainment, and in these cases the enjoyment is derived from figuring out the answer for yourself. However, if you're not enjoying yourself and have become frustrated roaming around looking for something, there's no reason to not look up the answer and get back to having fun. It's only really cheating if you use your ill-gotten knowledge to get the better of another player, i.e. "I managed to do X the first time without dying/really quickly. I am so much better than you at this." If you're just clearing a bottleneck in an adventure somewhere then the only person you're really cheating is the game, and I don't think it cares too much.

In terms of taking the fun out of a game, it really depends on the situation. as I've said above, looking up the answer can actually add to your enjoyment by preventing frustration. On the other hand, if it's something that I really should have figured out by myself then I always feel bad for looking something up. If, however, it's something that I would never have gotten, then I feel vindicated. For example, in King's Quest 2 you are given a silver bridle and a sword with a snake carved into the hilt. You then come across a snake blocking the path. The logical step of killing the snake with the sword didn't work (it's a parser game so maybe I just couldn't figure out the right words), and the actual solution (put the bridle on the snake) makes absolutely no sense. When I looked that up I was glad I'd done it, because it had saved me a lot of time going through all the map squares looking for something else to use on the snake.

3. I used to love cheat codes, and were the first part of any gaming magazine I bought. I had an action replay too and loved getting new codes for it. Principal amongst these was the All Cheats mode for Goldeneye, which saved me having to unlock all the special modes like All Weapons and Invincibility. Because none of these could be used to beat the game, it was just harmless fun. I was never going to be good enough to unlock that stuff by myself, so it was just a way of getting the most out of the game.

In conclusion, it just goes back to what I was saying before. Cheating is okay so long as you're not using it to unfair advantage over another player.
    I usually post out the gamefaqs when I am stuck on an RPG. That's about it. If I am stuck on a single part for more than 1/2 an hour, I check online for help.

If you're doing it right off the bat, that is cheating. Yet if a certain part of a game is giving you an issue for a while to where it makes you want to stop playing it, no problem in getting a little help.

Nope, it doesn't take out the fun. It helps me progress further into the game unlocking more fun, or achievements!

The last time I used cheats was for RE4 after I had beaten the game. I used action replay to give myself unlimited ammo and the most powerful gun. It's great exploding people with one shot uncontrollably.
  • How often do you have to go to gamefaqs or strategy guides when playing games?

I've only used GameFAQs once in the last month. That was when i was playing Gears of War and I just couldn't kill General RAAM, I tried so many times, I was feeling that i just wanted to take the disk and throw it out of the window (Thats NEVER good :P ) So I looked at GameFAQs to find out how I kill him. Turned out I was doing all the shooting right, I just messed out when i was moving around.

Do you feel looking up the answers is cheating? Does it take the fun out of it for you?

IIf you download a Walkthrough before even playing the game, then whats the point of playing a game? I think you should play the game without aid, and if its getting to the point of "going to go and shoot the game designer" Then you should look up a walkthrough JUST for that point your at.

And it doesnt take the fun out of it, if you've already beaten the game. For example, some walkthroughs will tell you where hidden items, or easter eggs are. And most of the time, those eggs are entertaining.

Do you use cheat codes, and what do you think of people who use them.

I tend you use codes after finishing the final mission, take Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Some of the cheats in that are great. Like in 2 player, you can make Player 1 and 2 invinceable. (Which means one MASSIVE killing spree.)

I think its fine for others to use them. Unless its a multi-player cheat-code/ hack/ whatever.
  • It's not 250 words but, I basically agree with everything Exmas said.
  • Never cheat :) , but if i get stuck I would pop on the net and look at a walkthrough from time to time :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week