Listener Homework: Does Your Significant Other Game?
  • This week's homework assignment is to tell us, in 250 words or more, the following:

* If your SO games, what sort of games do you play together?
    * If not, how have you tried to get them into gaming? How'd it go?
    * If no SO, have you ever met any through gaming? Want to?

Now, I'm guessing if anyone does have an SO, it'll probably be a girlfriend since it's a big sausage fest in here. But for the few women who do frequent the boards, it'd be interesting to hear situations where you game but your boyfriend/husband doesn't. Or hell, anything really -- since it'd be educational to hear about things from the "other" side, so to speak. :)

Yw
  • Yeah my SO played before she met me...it was a definent plus when i met her...she loves Zelda, Okami, all the mario games, Guitar Hero, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari, Shadow of the Colossus...she likes reading me the stratagy guide to Resident Evil 4 but closes her eyes half the time...what can i say i love her :P
  • Absolutely, and I started it. She had always toyed with gaming, Mariokart and Nintendo games reaching her casual hands, but then we started dating. I love me some video games and will play them non-stop for many hours to this day. Well, it was around the time I got EQ for PS2 and as me and our roomie started getting involved, her interest became peaked. It was a game that she could enjoy. No memorizing button combos or special moves, straight forward yet complex in it's intricacies. So she was sold, making it the 3rd PS2 in the household all humming along to the tune of EQ.

We did this day in and out. Up until about level 40-50, in which I could not bear the repitition any longer. Luckily Socom 2 had come out and I could now talk to people online while I tried to kill them. Much taunting was available, so *poof* canceled my EQ. They (the roomie and my lass) continued on EQ, raiding and grinding away. She eventually ran to guilds and was known throughout her server, entirely on her own motivation. Yes my roomie and I spawned her interest, and they did play together, and her guilds often helped her; but when the roomie quit she continued to play. She had become hardcore.

Now we play WoW together. I actually got involved because of her... and the one time (well many time, but digression) roomie kept influencing me. I keep trying to push her to Guitar Hero 2, but she holds firm on WoW, not ready to dip the 100+ for both of us to play GH2. Gotta say she is right, gotta move soon and just fixed up the car (1.5k in repairs...ouch!) In fact, I really enjoy WoW now... it doesn't hurt once you get used to it...

Anyways thats my story, she plays amplitude and frequency on PS2 (well did) and now WoW and whatever game I can convince her to buy later.... like GH3.

PS... She can't stop me from buying GTA4...
  • she was a casual gamer till she met me now if i want any sex i have to beat her at 3 multiplayer games in a row :D
  • quahgg said:
    Anyways thats my story, she plays amplitude and frequency on PS2 (well did) and now WoW and whatever game I can convince her to buy later.... like GH3.

Hmmm, if she likes Amplitude and Frequency, there's another game called Rez that's somewhat similar..

Plus, there's an.. um.. interesting "attachment" that's sold with it.

details here..

http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archives/2002/10/26/sex_in_games_rezvibrator.html

Yw - shocking!
  • I get crushed by mines. It's not one of those things where it's like "oh, honey, let's play something YOUD like" this is more of a beatdown being administered to myself by someone who knows the fighting games better than myself (and I know a ton) and it's always entertaining. Wouldn't change it for the world, feels just like two gamers beatin' ass.
  • My ex stole 5 or 6 games of mine when she left.

FUCKING WHOOOOOORE.
  • well my girl friend and i just play on the ps2 pretty much any multiply player game there is, its pretty much a battle between the both of us.
  • yuzo said:

Hmmm, if she likes Amplitude and Frequency, there's another game called Rez that's somewhat similar..

Plus, there's an.. um.. interesting "attachment" that's sold with it.

details here..

http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archives/2002/10/26/sex_in_games_rezvibrator.html

Yw - shocking!

:shock: theres only one thing i can say about that..... EROTIC 1000 PP also ACHIVMENT UNLOCKED :D
  • My Girlfriend is a definate gamer, she plays quite a lot, but she's not in the hardcore category,, i mean she's tried gears of war a couple of tmes which i'll get into later, but for the most part she prefers casual games.

So before i met her back in the day she & her family had a snes anyway and she played on that loads so she already had a history of gaming before i met her, which of course helps loads, i really don't know how i would get on with a girl that hates games to death like yuzo.

Anyway the main games she plays are things like Civilisation 4, she can play that shit for hours on end, same goes for age of empires, the sims of course is a safe bet, also she has her own DS .. and she bought me my ds too! how awesome is that. so yeah she plays games all the time, if im playing a game on the 360 she'll go on the pc.. theres not many 360 games shes got into yet, i just got kameo that she'll probably get into.

I play often with some friend hardcore girl gamers on the 360 on things like gears of war & crackdown, and that kind of helped get my gf introduced to more hardcore stuff becuase she was talking to them over the 360 and they were kind of giving her some guidlines, girls playing together kind of made it acceptable i guess, and she was holding her own chainsawing people online, but she didnt really go back to it afterwards, i think its just too bloody for her, she likes more puzzle/sim games.

Oh Also..

I was trying the iron gamer challenge recently (Guitar hero II) I got about the same points as yuzo and tobin, then fate stood in my way and my appendix burst and i spent a week in hospital, and when i came back out she said she's been practising on Guitar hero II .. i come back to find out shes completed it all on easy , and medium and is now 5 starring all medium songs.. that makes me proud! I was so fucking shocked, when i went into hospital she was scared of the stage 2 songs on easy..

it rocks having a gmaing girlfrind.
  • Sure, my significant other games. It's responsible for aiming and shooting when I play First Person Shooters.

What?
  • She plays the sims religously... i dont know if you'd consider that real gaming :))
  • Zeroth said:
    Sure, my significant other games. It's responsible for aiming and shooting when I play First Person Shooters.
    What?

A wise man. :)
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=Zeroth]Sure, my significant other games. It's responsible for aiming and shooting when I play First Person Shooters.
    What?

A wise man. :)[/quote]

Thats fucking halarious.
  • Well i`m since not all that long ago without a SO *sob* but I do have stories to tell regardless :P

Two exes back i was with a girl who comes from a gamer family of Asians who`s two brothers kicked all sorts
    of ass in videogames .
    I however , never saw her interested in playing anything at the time , but she did tell me how she used to like the SNES back in the day .
    One day at my place , I was playing my favorite iteration of Mario kart , namely the SNES one ( i never liked any other MK game )
    Then she wanted to race against me .. heh - i tought , since i `m insanely good at it .
    As a handicap I let her use the gamepad whilst i used the keyboard .
    I lost .. ok .. its just a fluke with the keyboard thing and your going easy on her .
    10 matches later , 10-0 for her .. she playfully asked me if SHE could use the keyboard and i the gamepad to "even things out"
    grrr .. Seems like she was an ace at racing games , platform games and puzzle games wich also saw my demise .

But it was fun nonetheless !

My recent ex , is a super-mainstream gamer who hasnt gamed for the last few years.
    The only thing she had was a playstation 1 still in the closet and she used to like games like Spyro the dragon and crash bandicoot .
    I often let her try and use my PSP but she wasnt into the games i had on it.
    When the Wii hit last december I got a Wii especially with her in mind , seeing the only thing i actually wanted to play on the wii was zelda and i could as well get that on the cube .

The wii was an instant success , and appealed to her greatly .
    That just shows you how great a mainstream device the wii is and the power to captive the hearts of even people who dont play any games no more .

As for the third and final question wich actually does reflect my current situation :

Q.[/b ]If no SO, have you ever met any through gaming? Want to?
    [b]A.
    I`ve met a few great gals trough gaming , but none of them will become anymore then just online war buddies .
    The problem with that is you always meet up great people across the big pond , and secondly I prefer to meet people IRL doing a random club / bar thing :-)
  • My girl is sort of a gamer, though she mostly prefers JRPGs and games don't require fast action or reflexes. I know she's looking forward to the new Pokemon, I'll probably have to wind up getting her a DS soon. :) For some reason she's also really into the Bratz games. *shudder*

She at least does have a good sense of history, especially for old Genesis games. It's cool that we can bond over Shining Force memories.

Oh, and her brother just gave her all his old PS1 stuff, and I just borrowed a bunch of old games I never played; things like the original GTA, some old Shiny games, etc.
  • My "significant other" loves to play video games, she loves all types of games from your simple casual game to the hardcore games. She just got into playing games about two years ago and is addicted to games. I'm constantly downloading free flash games and shareware so she has something to play for fun, She really addicted. She loves playing Coop and always wants me to play, and sometimes I have to turn her down but that doesn't get her down. She wait until I can play the game with her, It's like heaven.

This might sound like crazy but most people who are reading this might have the same "significant other" and she is.......
    My Computer.

Hope you enjoyed reading that little post. :lol:
    Anyways Cya

TRFS
  • therealfirestarter said:
    My "significant other" loves to play video games, she loves all types of games from your simple casual game to the hardcore games. She just got into playing games about two years ago and is addicted to games. I'm constantly downloading free flash games and shareware so she has something to play for fun, She really addicted. She loves playing Coop and always wants me to play, and sometimes I have to turn her down but that doesn't get her down. She wait until I can play the game with her, It's like heaven.

This might sound like crazy but most people who are reading this might have the same "significant other" and she is my.....
    My Computer.

Hope you enjoyed reading that little post. :lol:
    Anyways Cya

TRFS

I walked right into that, lol noobie+1.
  • I walked right into that, lol noobie+1.

I second that , noobie +1 !
  • My girlfriend would be a very casual gamer. She won't sit down and play gaes by herslef but really likes playing multi-player Mario Kart and games like that. Like Tobin was saying on the last episode about his girlfriend, my girlfriend also likes to watch me play games like Zeldawhile she does stuff like reading or painting her nails or something. She's not into blow-shit-up games or FPSs or anything like that.

And the important question: is she hot?
    answer: very.

and no she's not standing behind me as I type this! The only proof I have of that is that I'm in Ireland and she's in Switzerland. This time tomorrow I'll be on my way over there for a week.
  • Where would you find a gaming singnificant other?
    Most of the girls who play free mmo are bleh
  • booboo said:
    Where would you find a gaming singnificant other?

Easy , go to places where gamers would gather in large numbers.
    Cons ? :wink:
  • gwenster said:
    [quote=booboo]Where would you find a gaming singnificant other?

Cons ? :wink:[/quote]
    yeah but my parents are over protective and dont let me go anywhere unless my brother is with me or one of my parents or go with a reliable extended family member or friend that my parents now
  • Well, You all know I'm a gamer and a girl, and I'm into mainly shooter games, strategy games, and anything with action. I'm not really that much into casual games (although when I was on maternity leave I was very much into casual games as well as my shooter games). I will admit that recently I have found myself playing some casual games since I got a PSP for those boring times at work.

My husband is a gamer of sorts as well. He would say that he's more into turn-based, rpg, and strategy games and he typically plays PC games. We do try to get games where we can play together and thus have bought extra consoles that now collect dust (2 regular xbox's and 2 xbox 360s). We do play guitar hero together and he does occasionally beat me to the console and play some games on the 360. BUT, I must admit that I'm the one that usually hogs the 360 and takes over the tv most of the time.

Since we both "met" on an online rpg based "game" (and I say game loosly because I never really found the "gaming" in it) I know we both liked games before we met and still do together. :D
  • gwenster said:
    [quote=booboo]Where would you find a gaming singnificant other?

Cons ? :wink:[/quote]

Jeezus, a con? Maybe I'm too pretty for this, but all the cons I hit up, the people in general (both male and female) were UGH. And I went to a lot in the year of 04 ;p
  • * If your SO games, what sort of games do you play together?
    ** If not, how have you tried to get them into gaming? How'd it go?
    *** If no SO, have you ever met any through gaming? Want to?

(use of term SO lightly)
    * We used to play WoW, but now I cant afford it ^_^ GOW2 was released here last friday. I pre ordered & agreed to wait til he came over to play it, but was err.. too tempting :] So he'll get stuck watching me play now :] GUTTED.
    ** We both enjoyed games beforehand so it was kind of like "oh fancy playing wow?" "yeah k". However trying to persuade him to get an 360 is like trying to squeese blood out of a stone. He bought me a NES ^_^ & lots of gamess. So I bought him Hello Kitty for the PS2 (as a joke) && I swear he must be like 1/2 way through it :o
    *** I didn't meet him through gaming but I think the gaming help alot, in terms of things in common.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week