bit of free advertising for ya
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noobtoob

kinda sparce i know but feel free to hop in and expand it
  • What the fuck. Someone named NawlinWiki deleted your Noobtoob article on wikipedia.

I've not really added much material to Wikipedia. How do you contest when someone deletes your content like that? If a bunch of noobtoobers go on and re-add data, will they eventually realize that it's notable enough to keep?

We've got several thousand regular listeners at this point, I'd figure that's big enough to warrant being on Wikipedia. There's plenty of crap on there that thousands of people don't care about.
  • Advertising or other spam without relevant content (but not an article about an advertising related subject)

I would guess that would be the applicable reason for the deletion. Nevets said he didn't go too in-depth and maybe if he had they would have kept. I guess we just keep trying until we aggravate them into letting us have the page.
  • Yeah, apparently the guy that erased it is an administrator of some sort. You'll have to treat a NoobToob article like a FAQ crossed with the standard encyclopedia entry. Put in a good 1,000 words before you think about posting an article.
  • ah bugger i didnt think they would do that. i really only made a headline article and a bit of background info on the site and the hosts, maybe 4 or 5 paragraphs in total i figured the rest of ya could pop in and add a line or two. I wanted the page to be made with a little from everyone here.
  • I looked through about 10 pages of bullsh*t on how to get a page undeleted, and the process is just too complicated, you either have to have a discussion with the deleting admin via PM's, or open a deletion review. It would be too long to go through, someone will just have to recreate it. But what we can do is start gathering content on these forums, and the person who will create the page can compile it all into one file. Lets try and shoot for over 1000 words, and we could do a little paragraph going over every single episode on NT as well. That would definitely give us enough content to not be chosen for deletion.
  • pinman said:
    I looked through about 10 pages of bullsh*t on how to get a page undeleted, and the process is just too complicated, you either have to have a discussion with the deleting admin via PM's, or open a deletion review. It would be too long to go through, someone will just have to recreate it. But what we can do is start gathering content on these forums, and the person who will create the page can compile it all into one file. Lets try and shoot for over 1000 words, and we could do a little paragraph going over every single episode on NT as well. That would definitely give us enough content to not be chosen for deletion.

Pinman, that's a great idea! I've set up a wiki here that can serve as a placeholder for how the wikipedia article should look:

http://www.noobtoob.com/wiki/Wikipedia_Entry

Focus all your guy's energies here and once it's nice and stable we'll try and resubmit.

Yw - (plus it'll be a good way to see how quickly a wiki page can be cleaned up by the community)
  • Finally back from internet hiatus!

Yeah, Wikipedos are assholes. Really huge assholes. It may be hard to actually get the entry submitted.
  • I think a lot of people are rather annoyed at the way things go on on Wikipedia, as Fred the Monkey demonstrates here:

http://www.fredthemonkey.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=49

Having written an article for Wikipedia that was deleted for not being "notable" I can totally relate, especially since I put quite a lot of effort into it. Whilst in my case it was probably fair to delete it, it's still a kick in the groin to officially be told "you're not popular enough". I'm rather confused as to why Noob Toob or Fred the Monkey would have been deleted (Fred is back up nowadays). Both command pretty large audiences.
  • For what it's worth, there are actual rules on what notable actually means. For regular people, I think it's something like three independent news sources have to mention the person by name. This makes it easy for people like Paris Hilton to have entries, but it'll still probably be a while before we get regularly mentioned in places like the gaming press.

As we get bigger we'll become more and more notable and stuff will pop up on the net. In the meantime we have the wiki article getting prepped which should help somewhat :).

Yw
  • What a stupid criteria that is. A website could be fantastically popular and still never be mentioned by any sort of news source.

And what's a news source, these days? We've been mentioned in a bunch of gaming blog outlets, and linked to by some pretty large sites. We've been featured by Youtube and had a video with 140k views.

Their view is far too narrowminded.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week