The Rise of Multimedia and Casual Gaming
  • Note: I wrote this out in around 15 minutes so it's probably not perfect.

Over the last 20 years, we've seen the technological advance of many consoles, improving upon the graphical and storage capabilities of their predecessors and creating a much better gaming experience with every new release. Gaming was centralized upon bigger and better - more technologically advanced games that you could purchase at any retail store, and this was the constant for some time. That point leads me to my next one.

As of 2005, the introduction of seamless online connectivity was brought to the Xbox 360, and in 2006 to the PS3. With it, came an array of new possibilities, ranging from online arcade classics to downloadable movies and TV shows. Before, you were limited to Blockbuster, DVR, TV, the gaming console, and the computer, but now with the expansion and further development of technology, all of that can be placed inside one $300-$600, cohesive piece of hardware.

With that, came the attraction of more casual gaming, and a much larger population of movie lovers and multimedia freaks (I say freaks with tongue in cheek) which joined the gaming console market. Thus, the big 3 console companies saw the shift in console gamers, from the hardcore - finish a game that you purchased at the store crowd, to rent-a-movie, play-a-casual-game, crowd. Thus, consoles are now becoming multimedia centers, rather than gaming consoles, and with this expansion comes a lack of cohesive software titles, as developers now see that the money is in the cheaper casual, or arcade game. I mean, look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing. Every 6 months they put out a new console with a larger hard drive, and faze out the older one. Why? I mean, game saves don't take up 80gbs. You know why? It's because they're aiming for more and more people to download movies.

So what's next for console gaming? Most annalists believe that CD style gaming is going to be further intertwined with multimedia, giving it more of a backseat to movies and casual, low-tech games. I mean, look at the friggin' Iphone. It's now being marketed as a gaming phone. Apple is now a competitor in the gaming market? Their games are being advertised on TV? What is the world coming to?

So I ask you - Do you believe that CD-console hardcore gaming is dying? Do you believe that gaming in general is diverting back into low-tech, shoot-em-ups, platformers, and adventures quests, from HD-mindblowing-hardcore graphics and gameplay? Do you think that console gaming has taken a back seat to multimedia?

Note: How I got the idea to write this:

Gametrailers Bonus Round - EP #26 - Part 1

Gametrailers Bonus Round - EP #26 - Part 2
  • I think we're entering into an era where classic style arcade games, casual games, and hardcore games are going to be a shared unity. Nothing is going to stop that from happening.

As a retro-gamer, I'm certainly not upset about the return of old-school arcade games, but I like the modern stuff as well and I think there is more than enough room for both.

This is the generation of consoles that is changing what people think of Video Games FOREVER.

GREAT topic. NOOBIE for you, sir.

But, don't bump topics anymore, we don't do that here.

-Ray
  • When it gets kicked down to the 3rd page with no views or replies after I put 15 minutes of my work into it, it gets a bump from me. Thanks for the reply.
  • Ready2Rumble said:
    So I ask you - Do you believe that CD-console hardcore gaming is dying? Do you believe that gaming in general is diverting back into low-tech, shoot-em-ups, platformers, and adventures quests, from HD-mindblowing-hardcore graphics and gameplay?

Hardcore games are never going to die, they just might not be the majority. And honestly? I'd love to see more "low tech" Platformers and Adventures over the current "HD-MIND BLOWING-HARDCORE GRAPHICS" and WALLET EXPLODING production costs. I think that the larger gaming gets, the more of a chance these indy developers that we keep seeing popping up making great games we'll have. I mean look at the film industry, we get plenty of blockbuster movies that everyone watches and likes, then decently often enough, and indie movie comes along and gets great critical acclaim. I see gaming becoming like movies really (if they aren't already), but that's just me.

We'll see more casual games than hardcore, naturally, because there will be less effort and money put into them, but that doesn't mean you have to buy them.
  • Ready2Rumble said:
    When it gets kicked down to the 3rd page with no views or replies after I put 15 minutes of my work into it, it gets a bump from me. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I went ahead and sent youa PM.

-Ray
  • Yeah I don't think games of the hardcore variety disappearing soon, if any thing I think we'll see more soon because of all the casual games. My logic being that the more mainstream gaming becomes the more people get into gaming which will result in many of these 'casual' gamers trying out games like COD4 and maybe become 'hardcore' afterwards.
  • McMason said:
    Yeah I don't think games of the hardcore variety disappearing soon, if any thing I think we'll see more soon because of all the casual games. My logic being that the more mainstream gaming becomes the more people get into gaming which will result in many of these 'casual' gamers trying out games like COD4 and maybe become 'hardcore' afterwards.

Lol. I think it is really funny people consider shooters "hardcore" gaming. Seeing as how the gaming mechanic is go around and...shoot...things. hell that's as hardcore as Duck Hunt.
  • IamTHEshit said:
    [quote=McMason]Yeah I don't think games of the hardcore variety disappearing soon, if any thing I think we'll see more soon because of all the casual games. My logic being that the more mainstream gaming becomes the more people get into gaming which will result in many of these 'casual' gamers trying out games like COD4 and maybe become 'hardcore' afterwards.

Lol. I think it is really funny people consider shooters "hardcore" gaming. Seeing as how the gaming mechanic is go around and...shoot...things. hell that's as hardcore as Duck Hunt.[/quote]Well duck hunt is still more hardcore than half the wii games out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week