Viewer Homework (9/1/08): Fair Play?
  • Pocketmego is running in terror from some man named Gustav. So, for this week, I'll step into my old role as Professor and bring on the viewer homework for you all.

Do you find yourself losing games on purpose in order to keep other people happy and into a game? Or are you the kind of person that NEVER wants to lose, no matter who you're playing against? Some of you are the second type...shame!

The question is...Why do you do this? Why do you let someone else win, and how does it affect you? Or the reverse...why are you a prick who has no sense of fair play and sporting? Why do you do this? ANSWER ME, PEOPLE!

Personally, I find myself letting people win at times to keep the game fun - it also gives me a chance to study the game from an angle beyond just "winning" - for a fighting game, for instance, I'll mess around and see and feel the different nuances of it. Plus, nobody likes to get blown out every time. So yes, I'm up for fair play.

And you?
  • when playing with mates I go easy on them to start, let em win a few times to let them get into the game and grasp the controles if they don't now em, I might then start beating them but not by a mile or anything, its all about fun at the end of the day and if one of ya is having a crap time that ain't good.
  • I can't have fun if I know the person I'm playing against isn't having fun. I feel bad if I am beating someone too badly. Especially when it comes to fighting games, I like to go easy on people to keep them interested at least until they become a challenge, then I play them normally. This carries over into online games too, I don't like to beat the opposing team too badly, I prefer close matches.

I think it's just because I know what it's like to be on the worse team or just be the worse player, so I empathize with them and don't want to make them feel that way.

So yeah, I like to even things out, but I try not to make it obvious, I don't take handicaps, I just play less seriously.
  • I have a cousin, who I play with now and then, and he is very competitive. He is one of those people who will moan for ages if he loses and will rub your face in it when he wins. It's not nice to listen too. So, sometimes I don't try as hard in order to let him win, just so I don't have to listen to him moan about his defeat (because listening to him when he wins isn't as bad).

I really don't like sore losers and if it was a friend I probably would not play with him anymore, but because he his family I feel that I have to be tolerant of it. I have raised the issue with him and he has just used the excuse that he is very competitive, but you can still have that, and be gracious in victory and defeat.

At the end of the day, I play games to have fun. I usually play to win, but I won't 'throw my toys out of the pram' if I don't. Fun comes first and competition can add to that, if people don't act like dicks when they win or lose.

I hope my cousin doesn't read this lol. But then again, it might help if he does. :)
  • For me the only time I go easy is if its someone who doesn't game much then I'll go easy on them to keep it interesting, and to let them think they are doing well so that they don't just give up after a few minutes. I also will go very easy on any of my family members that never game but want to try it out like my niece for example who likes to play Wii Sports but isn't very good at it.

People I play with on X-Box Live I always play to win. I'm not the greatest gamer so usually I have to play my best anyway just to stay competitive.
  • I absolutely hate losing, no matter who its against. Even against little kids I will go all out. Tough. It's good for them to learn and not be handed stuff on a silver platter. Against family, friends, I always play to win, I am extrememly competitive. Anything less then me winning is complete failure in my eyes. Don't know why, that's just how I am; a perfectionist.

But fair play and sporting? As long as I am not cheating I am playing fair. You'll win some, you'll lose some, tough, get over it. I shouldn't have to handicap myself just to appease someone else.

I will say though, I never brag or bitch about losing, I take pride in that. I just suck it up and move on, and look for ways to improve. If I win, I don't have time to gloat, I have to get ready for whatever is next. Plus, winning doens't make me feel guilty, but bragging does, and if it coems back to bite you in the ass then you're doubly screwed.
  • being a sore loser is sort of in my bones, as I don't like losing pretty much anything, whether it be an online fight or an arm wrestle. Having said that, I will accept that I lost fairly, and will probably want to have another go, mostly for a chance to redeem myself.
  • Fair Play is really necessary when playing games of skill with non gamers.
    Ash Gooner said it perfectly "I play games to have fun." That mantra goes for non gamers/ casual gamers. If I am playing a fighting game with my cousins I will go easy on them because I just trying to have fun.

What I think is interesting is that alot of games implement handicaps to try and even the field for gamers skill levels. Fighting games are infamous for this and really make the games more fun for gamers of varying skill. Mario Kart has item drops including the infamous/ hated Blue Shell which equalize the game to a certain degree. However it is very hard to get non/casual gamers to play competitive mulitiplayer games, what will usually come out instead are Co-op games like Rock Band where people can rely on eachother making the gaming more of a bonding experience rather than a "want to strangle the other person because they button mash with Eddie Gordo" experience.

But when it comes to evenly matched gamers I think fair play has to take a back seat to competition which is the essence of games from Street Fighter to Counter Strike to COD4. With that being said though, people should learn to take defeat and victory humbly. Boasting and being a dick in a funny way is quite fun with a group of close friends who know how to take it, but when people take the ideal of winning at all cost to the extreme I think that is a problem, and one that goes beyond their gaming persona and into their personal life.
  • I don't hate losing but I never "let" anyone win. If I let them win then they ALWAYS say "Yeah I won a couple times, but you let me." Which makes me feel worse because they think they really do suck at the game we're playing and they'll never want to play again. If I'm playing competitive game such as Budokai or Soul Calibur then I'm going to give it my all, but unless if I'm playing my six year old cousin then I'll let him win... sometimes :).
  • Well, I don't play against people that often. The only person that I really play is my brother. When we were kids, I used to let him win, because if I'd win he'd kick or punch me, and one time, he even threw the controller at me face. That hurt! But now he's more mature so doesn't do that so I don't let him win.

However, one time a girl came round to my house, and I let her win, but didn't make it blatantly obvious. We ended up making out so something went right. And if any little kids came into my house, like cousins or something, I'd let them win coz then they'd feel good and stuff :) I find people who are sore losers and winners really annoying. One time I was destroying this guy when battling him on Pokemon gold, so he unplugged the link cable. That was just low, and I think stuff like that can mess up your game, but not too sure. I really would have killed him if it had of messed up my game, just because he didn't like losing.

Also, if I lose fair and square, I'm not bothered. I play games and have fun whilst I'm doing it. I don't have to win to have fun.
  • I´m a bit of a fair player and a competitive type. Most of the times my goal is to win because I´m a perfectionist, like Magenta said. But if I know that certain game isn´t just my best and I play a friend who´s really good at it, i just try to have fun and enjoy the beat up. I only hate losing in a game that I feel I´m good at (ie Gears of war). If the game is TF2, which I suck ass juice, I will try to support my team the best possible knowing I might die a lot.

Hehe, now that I remember, an uncle came one Christmas and we played a soccer game. It was his first game and I utterly destroyed him 8-0... but it could have been 20-0...
  • You have a different view of fair play then me, to me fair play means not cheating and unfair behavior like team killing. To me if i didn't try my best then i would be lying and to me it would not be fun. However it depends on the game type and the mood I'm in, if I'm happy ill go easy on people, if I'm angry its take no prisoners time. Its not that i hate losing, its just i like winning more, i dont cheat to win, and if i lose i can take it fair and square but i would let them win as it takes away from the game.
  • well i play games alot with my little cuzen raey (raeygean) and because she was only 10
    i let her win to get her into gaming its fun to see a little kid have fun playing gta or fable or even gears of war. but now shr kiks my abs at guitar hero she can beat Jordan on expert and shes only 12
    last week 4 her B day i got her a ds with nsmb and cake mania
  • I also think that fair play is different from giving someone a sporting chance. If you're better than them, then playing fair means that you will normally win. However, if you win all the time, then it's less fun for all involved.

A sporting chance means levelling the playing field, by giving yourself less health or whatever, so that you have a more or less equal chance of winning. If you're introducing someone to a game, and you want to play with them, then you shouldn't go all out right away. If they want advice, then you can be like a martial arts master, give them an insect name of your choice, and introduce them to the basics. Once they can beat you with a certain handicap, or at a particular level of play, then you can up your game/ reduce the handicap so that they improve. If they get better than you, be happy for them.

Lesson ends

Sensei Wookie
  • I really only let "non-gamers" win. And like most people say, only to give them a fair chance to properly get familiar with the game.

Afterwards that is it.

-Ray
  • when I play with some of my friends who aren't really gamers ill let them win a couple matches in cod4 so they don't get bored and give up, ill shoot my gun all around them so it looks like im going to kill them but they'll win
  • I almost always play to win, which (surprisingly) actually keeps the games fun for everybody. I still remember when my Dreamcast was set up on a projector with PenPen Tri-icealon loaded and ready, and it almost became a competition to see why could even just get close to even passing me in that game (only one person ever did, and was quickly passed again by me). I only let my little cousins beat me, but thats only after the kart 'stalling' right before the finish line on the final lap.
  • Whenever I go up against a weaker opponent that I dont want to scare off with my uber-skillz :wink: I tend to try other things. Rather than playing in the best way I can, I will try other/new tactics, try some fun stuff, which basically means that my opponent has a better chance of killing me, while I still have fun.
  • Plankton said:
    Whenever I go up against a weaker opponent that I dont want to scare off with my uber-skillz :wink: I tend to try other things. Rather than playing in the best way I can, I will try other/new tactics, try some fun stuff, which basically means that my opponent has a better chance of killing me, while I still have fun.

Yeah that´s a pretty useful strategy. Like in Halo 3, I try to stuck people if there not good in the game.
  • cooleo1208 said:
    [quote=Plankton]Whenever I go up against a weaker opponent that I dont want to scare off with my uber-skillz :wink: I tend to try other things. Rather than playing in the best way I can, I will try other/new tactics, try some fun stuff, which basically means that my opponent has a better chance of killing me, while I still have fun.

Yeah that´s a pretty useful strategy. Like in Halo 3, I try to stuck people if there not good in the game.[/quote]

New players that keep getting stuck might find that quite patronizing, i know if some one went about just trying to stick me I'd be insulted no matter how good/bad i am.
  • headhuntercat said:
    [quote=cooleo1208][quote=Plankton]Whenever I go up against a weaker opponent that I dont want to scare off with my uber-skillz :wink: I tend to try other things. Rather than playing in the best way I can, I will try other/new tactics, try some fun stuff, which basically means that my opponent has a better chance of killing me, while I still have fun.

Yeah that´s a pretty useful strategy. Like in Halo 3, I try to stuck people if there not good in the game.[/quote]

New players that keep getting stuck might find that quite patronizing, i know if some one went about just trying to stick me I'd be insulted no matter how good/bad i am.[/quote]

Maybe...but it´s fun!
  • I used to let my ex win at guitar hero, until she got good at the game and then we would have legitimate games. But if I play my little brother in a game since he's such a little shitbag asshole, I kick his ass at the game. Thank god I moved out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week