Spoiling thyself
  • I just finished reading the story for Metal Gear Solid 4 on Wikipedia, and I recently watched several videos from the game in YouTube (the Shadow Moses flashbacks and Codec Easter Eggs are fantastic). Now I do not have a PS3, do not intend to get one until the PS4 comes out, and have no desire whatsoever to play MGS4. I was simply interested in the story.

It occurs to me now that I have finished reading it that I have done this with several games. For example, my first game review on this site was for Red Ninja, a game with an interesting story but horrendous gameplay. I gave up on the game but went on to read the storyline. I did the same with Heavenly Sword; I don't want to play the game, but the story seemed interesting, so I watched every cutscene on YouTube.

My question is this: Have you ever intentionally read the spoilers or watched the cut scenes for a game that you never intend to play? If so, what game(s)?

thebgbb
  • If I've not intended to play it I generally just forget about it and just think about games that concern me.
  • I can only think of one and I´m not really proud of it. Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360. I´m done with Sonic games and I just wanted to know what the story was because I saw...[spoiler:479897d504] It was a random seen of Sonic dying, just at the end of the game[/spoiler:479897d504]

So anyway, I ended up watching half of the cut scenes from the game.
  • Oh yeah, I'm a lot like you Ass Juice Guy. I don't care if I spoil a game I might and probably will not ever play. Then again, I'm not always very serious about avoiding spoilers for games I am going to play either. I figure if a game is good it will stand up on its own, spoilers or not.

-Ray
  • If it's part of a series I like but can't find a copy of I usually read up on the story so I don't feel lost. Like I did with half-life 1.
  • pocketmego said:
    ...Then again, I'm not always very serious about avoiding spoilers for games I am going to play either. I figure if a game is good it will stand up on its own, spoilers or not.

And, of course, there is the corollary: if a game is bad, it will fall down on its own, spoilers or not.

This brings up an interesting question, though: has a spoiler every actually prevented you from buying a game? It has for me. As a fan of God of War, I was very interested in Heavenly Sword UNTIL I saw the cut scenes. I can't stand bad acting, even in a game, and the acting in that game looked horrendous.

thebgbb
  • so far I've done this with DMC4 and Silent Hill 2 for the bonus/alternate endings
  • yesterday a watched fahrenheit on youtube, start to end, I have no need to buy it now
  • yesterday a watched fahrenheit on youtube, start to end, I have no need to buy it now

When you play it, you actually miss some of the action sequences, because your so concentrated on the button mashing, rather than the actual scene, so in a way it is good idea.
  • so often i look up info on wikipedia and read the story thinking its just an overview of the begening and then relise it's thhe whole game. I still haven't learn't my, leason.
  • I did the exact same as Cooleo1208 and watched the ending cutscenes of Sonic The Hedgehog (360) to see if it had finally U-turned back to glory, but it turned out to be an olympic-shark-jumper which made me want to batter the employees of Sega even more than I did when I played Sonic Riders.

I also read spoilers on the forums here about Final Fantasy, as turn-based games drive me nuts.

Sorry for the rants, I've just finished watching a whole load of Zero Punctuation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week