Japanese 3rd parties
  • We've all seen how the big boys sold their systems. We know all about the BIG N and Sony. But, how do 3rd party players get the word out about their stuff?

Here is a collection of 3rd party game commercials through the ages from Japan. The commercials are much more abstract then the stuff produced in the West for many of the same games.

Pac-In-Time, in particular, was just WEIRD.

An interesting look at a wholly different cultures way of selling an ever evolving product. I do notice that Video Gaming was pushed VERY strongly as a family affair in Japan, where as here in the US it is pushed MUCH more heavily as a solo activity.

-Ray
  • i like how they used tron-esque CG to advertize a zelda clone.
  • FUCK YES SUPER ROBOT SPIRITS ADVERT at 6:40 or so. I'd never actually seen the advert for that. To see all those seperate shows being animated - proper anime style, not CG - into one single sequence is really awesome. I've always wanted to play SRS as it was the game that introduced the Judecca to the Super Robot Wars series. Bah.

Personal highlights, anyway: Adventure Island, "Do you believe in destiny?" With graphics like that, I sure wouldn't.

Dragon Quest III was awesome, as was Populous' ad, actually.

Rockman 8. Hell yes. Electrical Communication is an awesome song.

Did the King of Fighters ads really need to be so overdramatic, though? Props to them for getting a native English speaker, however.
  • Magenta said:
    FUCK YES SUPER ROBOT SPIRITS ADVERT at 6:40 or so. I'd never actually seen the advert for that. To see all those seperate shows being animated - proper anime style, not CG - into one single sequence is really awesome. I've always wanted to play SRS as it was the game that introduced the Judecca to the Super Robot Wars series. Bah.

Personal highlights, anyway: Adventure Island, "Do you believe in destiny?" With graphics like that, I sure wouldn't.

Dragon Quest III was awesome, as was Populous' ad, actually.

Rockman 8. Hell yes. Electrical Communication is an awesome song.

Did the King of Fighters ads really need to be so overdramatic, though? Props to them for getting a native English speaker, however.

Did the King of Fighters ads really need to be so overdramatic, though? Props to them for getting a native English speaker, however.[/quote]

I LOVE Super Robots, ever since I was a kid watching Mazinger Z and Voltron, and all the Force Five stuff. I never even knew this game existed, I'd love to play a Super Robot fighting game.

I also love the Drangon Quest theme and that it plays somewhere in ever DQ ad in Japan.

-Ray
  • I liked the music in the Megaman 8 ad. I don't know why, I think it was the lazars. Best marketing tool ever. I don't know why they put the prices in half of their ads though. Explanation?
  • There's no real standardized pricing mechanic in Japan, that, and you can often attract a lot of attention to your product by pointing out the competitive pricepoint. The western world tends to have this infatuation with 'you get what you pay for' and not wanting to be seen with cheapskate goods, as were, whereas you can get away with being more practical there.

Oh, and Mego, do a bit of YouTubeing for "Another Century's Episode". They're a modern take on that sort of thing, similar types of crossing over lots of old robot shows into one combat game. ACE3, the last game, put in a lot of the more super robotty-type shows as opposed to the Gundams and Robotech-style mechs the first two games went for.

Edit: Force Five, you say? Gaiking was part of that lineup, wasn't it? In my work as a fan-subtitler I worked on the recent remake of Gaiking. Was when I started growing some balls as a typesetter, actually.
  • Magenta said:
    There's no real standardized pricing mechanic in Japan, that, and you can often attract a lot of attention to your product by pointing out the competitive pricepoint. The western world tends to have this infatuation with 'you get what you pay for' and not wanting to be seen with cheapskate goods, as were, whereas you can get away with being more practical there.

Oh, and Mego, do a bit of YouTubeing for "Another Century's Episode". They're a modern take on that sort of thing, similar types of crossing over lots of old robot shows into one combat game. ACE3, the last game, put in a lot of the more super robotty-type shows as opposed to the Gundams and Robotech-style mechs the first two games went for.

Edit: Force Five, you say? Gaiking was part of that lineup, wasn't it? In my work as a fan-subtitler I worked on the recent remake of Gaiking. Was when I started growing some balls as a typesetter, actually.

Cool, I'll check it out thanks for the info. Nothing beats a good Super Robot! You can have your realistic mecha, I like primary colors and super weapons. :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week