Collectibles in video games.
  • Hey guys,

I have noticed that alot of video games now days have alot of collectibles in pretty much any game you play.For example CoD4 has intel, Gears has the tags to collect and so on.
    When playing these games on 360 i find it incredibly boring getting these things, but i do for the achievement.lol

So my question is, What do you think about these collectible items and do you take time getting them?
  • i don't go for them because there boring and painstaking, but if all you want is the achievement i don't think its worth it to go after them.
  • Lol well i don't really think its worth it as such.But would drive me insane if i were to have every other achievemnt in the game apart from that particual one.
  • I don't mind collecting them, I find it fun. Especially if it involves taking a more dangerous path or some tricky platforming to get to them.
  • I think the last collectible i collected was the skulls in halo 3 and that was just 4 that ninja armor, ill collect the stuff if it is challenging or it unlocks something else but just for a achievement i say F**k it
  • I'm kinda obsessive about collecting items in games. The flags in Assassin's Creed. The intel in Call of Duty. I even had to collect the cogs in Gears twice because when I got 28/30 they somehow got all erased.

I think the collectibles came as a result of having big open worlds. Developers want users to explore the world they created so they put those hidden items in the world knowing we'll go hunt after them for a few achievements points.

I would prefer if all collectibles worked more like the skulls in Halo 3 where there is a purpose to getting them. They have some affect on the game.
  • Only if it unlocks something like new weapons, videos or alternate skins. If it's just for the right to say I got it then I don't care, unless it's some really really hard then the bragging rights would mean something. .
  • McMason said:
    Only if it unlocks something like new weapons, videos or alternate skins. If it's just for the right to say I got it then I don't care, unless it's some really really hard then the bragging rights would mean something. .

This I agree with completely!

The orbs in Crackdown or the Comic Covers in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction are fine examples of GOOD collectibles.

-Ray
  • I don't bother with them, seems like a lame way to make a short game longer
  • Collectibles for the sake of collectibles are kinda annoying, unless they make the game more FUN, like the crackdown orbs. However i do prefer useful collectibles, collecting them all may provide a secret level, alternate ending, or an added experience which rewards you for your effort.

In castle crashes there are MANY hidden weapons that I guess could be categorized as a collectable, and have the added bonus of being useful (Well some at least), It really makes go find them all.

"Gotta catch em all" my pokemans let me show you them.
  • Again, we're all pretty much in agreement here.

Collectibles that don't get you anything special are crap. Not worth it, don't bother. Unless you're super-uber-over-the-top obsessive about stuff like that. A bad example of collecting items here would be eating all the foods in the mall on Dead Rising (20 achievement points).

Collectibles that net you more than say 10 or 20 achievement points, get you a better ending, open a secret level, or something to that extent are okay. Most people like to aim for that 100% rating and this isn't the worst way to do it. Good examples of item collection are the nuclear missile plans from Mercenaries (better ending) and the orbs from Crackdown (higher skills).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week