Listener Homework: Your favorite gaming rental service?
  • This week's homework assignment is to write, in 250 words or more, your experiences with the various game rental services that are out there. Bonus points if you've used multiple ones and can compare and contrast them. Services include, but are not limited to:

* Mail order game rental companies
    * Brick and mortar retail rentals
    * Buy new and ebay it later rental scheme

Yw
  • I actually just started game rentals this week and i am having a huge hassle so i signed up to a website called boomerang, first they didn't accept my card, then i kept getting emails from them about me changing my card details (which they finally accepted) and i wasn't . So i cancelled my subscription to them and have started with a company called postbox games, you get a 10 days free trial and it seems all good up to now, they said they dispatched my number two game to me as the 1 i chose 1st wasn't in stock, for people who do not know they ask you to chose a list of around 10 games and then rank them and they will send you the 1st game in your list that is in stock. So i should be getting my game early next week as post doesn't come on weekends. I will post back if the service was any good, this is just the uk btw.
  • Either just go to blockbuster or do the buy/ eBay thing because online sites suck ass. You have to wait forever to get one game and then they take 2 weeks to get it back, so you are paying for 4 games a month.
  • Gamefly's been treatin me good for 6 months. Gameznflix is getting shittier and shittier...about to cancel. Two times I've had to report something hasn't come.
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    Gamefly's been treatin me good for 6 months. Gameznflix is getting shittier and shittier...about to cancel. Two times I've had to report something hasn't come.

It's the same fucking thing with Gamefly. Almost every single time I rent a game I have to send a report about them not receiving it. I don't know if it's the post office or if Gamefly just sucks, but it's starting to get to the point where I'm just going to write them a handwritten letter telling them to kiss my ass and why I should even use them. Is Gameznflix better?
  • In short, no, no they aren't.

There is no such thing as a quality mail game service. Your best bet is a pass for Blockbuster or Hollywood video, but good luck with latest releases. I usually just hang back a few months behind the curve. You can buy what were $50 games for a lot less, and never have to worry about rentals being in stock.

The downside? I'll probably never participate in an Iron Gamer Challenge. :lol:
  • Gameznflix sucks compared to Gamefly. Also keep in mind, it sounds like in your area you may have an unscrupulous postman..so it may not be their fault.
  • I really wouldn't trust an internet company to ship me games or something. Also it seems they really have some trouble with timing and not getting people games when they want them. It is blockbuster all the way for me.
  • I have only tried one rental service LOVEfilm but for dvds, as this was a two week trial and did not include games. Anyway for 18.99 (pounds) not cheap i no. But you can have 3 at home at once but you get as many as u want over the month with no late fees. Pretty sweet for alot of new realeses in one month ,but time is short. Also when i had the free trial the dvds took about two-three days to get to me. Which is good if you play 2, send back, then play the last 1,send back when u get your 2 new games and repeat.
    pretty good line of games and dvds.

My local game rental store (non plural) arent very good they just include old xbox games. SUPER!
    If you live on the Isle of Man you will know what I mean.
  • set up my games list with postbox games on Thursday set my number 1 game as tmnt and they sent it out Friday and i got it Saturday (this is just uk) which is pretty cool and tmnt is a new game too, and don't judge me bcos i am getting tmnt for the 1000 points. So as of yet i give postbox games 10/10 and i will be giving the my £9.99 every month for the foreseeable future
  • I've only used Gamefly, their service is spotty but better than it used to be. I still seem to have things get lost in the mail every few months, but luckily they've never actually charged me for their losses. And I have been able to get new releases through them, like God of War 2 the week it came out. I mainly use them because I like also getting older games or less popular ones, keeping them for a long time, and simply because there aren't any Blockbusters in a convenient location around me.

Gamefly did finally just open an east coast distribution center, though I haven't yet had a chance to see if it's had any effect. I desperately wish Netflix would get into the game rental market, though.
  • I can sum up every game rental place, THEY SUCK :lol:
    Anyways Cya

TRFS
  • It'd be good if you guys who use postal services can give an average time of turnover and frequency of getting new releases. Kinda like:

Time to get confirmation notice on receiving a title after mailing: X days
    Time to get game after getting shipping notice: X days
    Percantage chance of getting top new release: XX%

Stuff like this might make it easier to compare the various services.

Yw
  • On Gamefly you can put games on your queue before the game comes out so people are holding the game for months before the game comes out. So you can not get new releases at all unless you just camp out on the site until the "Rent It" button activates.

Confirmation time: like 6 fucking days
    Shipping Notice: 3-4 days
    Percentage of new games: 0%
    There's no fucking way to get new releases because they only stock like two copies of a particular game so some little kid can hold the game for as long as he wants and nobody else can use it.
  • xombie5 said:
    On Gamefly you can put games on your queue before the game comes out so people are holding the game for months before the game comes out. So you can not get new releases at all unless you just camp out on the site until the "Rent It" button activates.

Confirmation time: like 6 fucking days
    Shipping Notice: 3-4 days
    Percentage of new games: 0%
    There's no fucking way to get new releases because they only stock like two copies of a particular game so some little kid can hold the game for as long as he wants and nobody else can use it.

I don't think that's true at all. I gave up on buying God of War 2 because all the stores here suck. I put it on my queue Wednesday evening, the day after it was supposed to come out. They sent it out to me on Thursday and I had it on Saturday.
  • the only experance ive had on renting is with my local video shop,xtra-vision,its like the blockbusters of ireland.the first game i rented was zone of enders for the ps2,i only got it to get the free metalgear solid 2 demo disc that came with it.
    of course when the guy behind the counter handed over the game without the demo disc included,i had to ask"dude wheres me demo?" he said it doesnt come with the rental,which pissed me off, i know that kid just kept it for himself.

the second attempt was more recent,i wouldnt buy tmnt for,i think its about €50 here on the 360,but i would be willing to rent it,which i can do for €10 a week,i find that pretty steep though.
    and yes i am getting it for the cheap points!god damn you tobin!
  • Family Video. It's a local rental store, and you can get half-price rentals for a month. Plus, when you rent a game for 5 nights, even with half-off, you can get one of their special tagged games for free for 5 nights.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week