Mario Kart isnt a core game!
  • I was on youtube the other day and i saw this video of some guy trying to make an argument that mario kart is a core game. I just dont understand it. Mario Kart is a party game. Just because Mario is in the title of the game, doesnt mean that it is a core game like super mario bros. correct me if im wrong, but i believe that a core game has to have a some what deep story, deep control system, and takes skill to play it. Mario Kart just like most of the Nintendo games now a days takes no skill what so ever to play. Just look at Super Smash Bros Brawl....i suck at fighting games, but with Brawl, i could beat it on hard. (watch noobtoob's review on Brawl) again i just dont understand how anyone in there right mind would think that a game that takes no skill to play would be a core game. that like saying that mario party is a core game and ninja gaiden isnt. Let me know what you guys think, is mario kart a core game or not?

Yow
  • Who cares if Mario Kart is a core game or not? It doesn't matter if it is. Either you enjoy or don't, that's what's important.

Brawl also takes a hell of a lot of skill to play at higher levels.
  • I disagree. To me, a core game has to be fun. It doesn't have to have a compelling story or amazing graphics, I only care about how fun a game is. And, to me, Mario Kart is fun as anything else out there.

I'd also like to agree with GE4M about Brawl, it takes a lot of skill at higher levels. But that's off topic :P
  • First off lets use the definition that toleco diuqil [the net does that name mean mon?!?] means for a core game.

Core game is a game that requires skill in order to win. Now...the older games this is true. The ratio for getting a super duper item was weak. Even for the Game Cube I found my self getting my special more during last or even 2nd place. So...Mario Kart Wii....no its not hard core. The reviews of the NoobToob have show me this.

Now...I can't talk about brawl but...beat Boss mode on the hardiest mode and then we talk about skill in that one.
  • This whole idea of casual and hardcore game is just a marketing move done by developers and publishers so they can create a casual market and is promoted almost only by elitist morons that want to call themselves "hardcore" because they think they're cooler than everyone else just because they can beat this or that game.
  • God said:
    This whole idea of casual and hardcore game is just a marketing move done by developers and publishers so they can create a casual market and is promoted almost only by elitist morons that want to call themselves "hardcore" because they think they're cooler than everyone else just because they can beat this or that game.

Groan objection.

Back then games were casual. There were no hardcore games back in Atari games. Heck I would not even call the like 3 Firesword [Earth, Fire, and what ever] Atari adventure games as hard core. It was all simple stuff back then.

Then we get to the NES. Games are getting harder and people are doing dumb programing things. [3 lives on Contra, BattleToads, passwords that are 30 sections long, BattleToads and BattleToads] But a few games like color a dinosaur [rom only or real game they sold in the market...you look it up] and learning games popped out.

SNES/SEGA ect area. With PCs. Math Blaster, Organ Trail, Reading Rabbit. Treasure Island, Mario Teaches Numbers. [Worst rental ever. I WAS A KID BACK THEN. Sigh...my youth.]. These are not hardcore games. In fact learning games just about never died. Still haven't died. It lurks around Nintendo like a ghost. Stopping the good games from getting in.

You could say that the programmers are doing that as a plain but the point being is that some games are made for just one thing. The sales. [Cough ET programed in 4 weeks/months? BAH]. Now...they might have changed that. Nintendo majorly seems to have done this. They have changed to allow their games to be perhaps easier to allow Non gamers in. But I don't think most of them are thinking they are hard core gamers.

Is Guitar hero a hard core gamer? DDR? Light Gun based games? These are games that can some what be picked up by anyone and they can do well with it. Heck even puzzle games are like Non-Hard Core long as they know how to work the game.

Hard core is almost not around any more. Hard core is playing God of war on HELL mode. Hard Core is finishing with 100%. Hard Core is replaying the same darn game the 10th time and selecting each different choice in the text menu boxes. And I just stated the simple games. Beating perhaps the Light Gun based games [Time Crises, House of the dead] might be hard core. DDR and Guitar hero are not what I like to call hard core games.

Overall people can have their own thoughts. Hard Core gamer to me is betting every game you got fully. Its buying the super rare shiny cover for an extra 10 bucks with a DVD you'll watch once and upload onto youtube so no one else needs to buy it.. Not a whole lot of the Wii only games are unlock a bunch of stuff by being a good gamer now...maybe Wii fit. After all you have to unlock all those training programs. That makes you a hard core gamer right? >.>

Using it as a market plain....yes I think Nintendo is doing it. But while the gaming world has its dumb dumbs....show me the Youtube video of a kid with some lame Wii game calling him self a hard core gamer and I'll step down from the soap box. I don't think hard core is around any more...its just a name MADE by someone that just about everyone on NoobToob will think diffrently on.

iCEMAN is hardcore. He has figures, and just about every Megaman game in English, Japan, China, Hong Kong, and UK.

No Yuzo is hard core. For wearing a binging Cube chain.

No this person with super Mario levels tattooed on his back is hard core.

You know I take everything back...last post and this post. You read it and just take it in as my thoughts but I my self can't label what hard core is. And everyone is gonna disagree a little on how much you have to do to be Hard Core.

Shaving head for Tobin to beat Bioshock. Hard Core or just plain dumb? 8)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week