The Sega Saturn Mascot
  • When you think of different consoles, you think of certain characters of Mascots that are FOREVER linked to that console.

Xbox and 360 - Master Chief

Nintendo (all of them) - Mario

Sega Genesis - Sonic

Turbographx 16 - Bonk

Playstation - Crash Bandicoot (sort of)

Sega Saturn - ?????? ????

Still can't think of it?

No, not Sonic. Remember, he didn't ever get a Saturn game.

No, this Mascot never left Japan. I've been holding off on the reveal for a while now. Because, I just wasn't sure how ready you guys were for the GREATEST VIDEO GAME MASCOT EVER!!!!

Segata Sanshiro

Curious...

It was a series of 20 one minute long commercials that played out over the lifespan of the Saturn. When put together it equaled a 20 minute Japanese Adventure Show styled Super Hero EPIC.

In the final "Episode" a group of Sega business men are congratulating themselves on the upcoming release of the much more powerful Dreamcast system. An evil villain from an unknown company tried to destroy them only to have Segata Sanshiro end this EPIC series of commercials in TRUE Japanese Hero style...

Had Sega released anything as cool and epic as this in America. I DO NOT doubt that we'd all be playing Sega 360's now. This is HOW you sell a game console (especially in the 90's) and THIS is why the Saturn was actually a somewhat success in a Japan and not the colossal failure it was in the States and most of the rest of the world.

We shall never again know such GREATNESS in game marketing.

All Hail Segata Sanshiro!!!

-EDIT-

Here is a short documentary I just found on the character.

-Ray
  • Lol, hilariously I actually knew about this...BUT

Spoilers:
    [spoiler:6b29a7fde2]http://www.seganerds.com/2008/05/29/segata-sanshiro-promotes-rambo-arcade-game/
    Segata Sanshiro survives and promotes Sega arcade cabinets![/spoiler:6b29a7fde2]
  • I am so glad you linked the music video when discussing the greatest hero in all of gaming. But just for the benefit of the less moon-language inclined, here it is subtitled:

Sega Saturn shiro!

I always liked the Saturn, even if it was a finicky piece of shit with an abhorrent save system further compounded by not being able to use my memory card on some games cause of the RAM expansion or whatever it was, which also managed to come loose or not be detected with a frequency bordering on the lunacy-inducing. Despite that, Sonic R. Despite how the console itself was conspiring to hate me on a basis I found mildly insulting, I could not hate the console that spawned Sonic R.

*salute*
  • Great link Demi. I didn't even know there was a sight called Sega Nerds. I'm glad to see he's still working to promote Sega stuff. :D

And Magenta thanks for posting the Sub video, although the subbed version is also at the end of the little Documentary I edited in.

-Ray
  • Ah, curses, I was still in the middle of watching that when I posted. Alas. XD

Edit: The translations on your version make a lot more sense, too. The Mognet version I linked has quite a bit of misplaced phrasing in comparison. Ah well.
  • Magenta said:
    Ah, curses, I was still in the middle of watching that when I posted. Alas. XD

That's cool.

Some people might not want to go through the entire Documentary to watch it. Options are always good.

:D

-Ray
  • That was BRILLIANT! I love the catchy theme tune he has, and the way in the opening montage he throws a guy, who then FUCKING EXPLODES! Am I reading this wrong, or does Segata have something of an inclination of violence towards children. We see three boys walking down the street to play baseball, and he starts whupping their arses. And in the Christmas scene, the children are scared beyond belief when he takes his mask off.
  • Pretty much. Segata has no respect for age or health - if you are not dedicated to your gaming, he WILL find you and he WILL beat the shit out of you. It's like TV licensing but awesome.
  • Magenta said:
    Pretty much. Segata has no respect for age or health - if you are not dedicated to your gaming, he WILL find you and he WILL beat the shit out of you. It's like TV licensing but awesome.

Yeah, basically something that really NEVER would have been allowed in US commercials.

But, it's still hilarious and extremely fun commercials.

-Ray
  • Next time I bring a girl home, I'll put this song playing. Nothing in the world is as much of a turn on as "Sega Saturn Shiro".

On another note, in the documentary, at 11:10 the subtitles say "Even if they chase after the petty pleasure of sex", now, it's not that I disagree that Segata Sanshiro is better than sex, but did they have to show children in that part of the song?
  • The actual term used in the Japanese is "moment of pleasure", which I guess one could infer such a meaning from but it's open to interpretation. I guess the subtitlers just decided to be as EXTREME as possible to show how Segata's all about EXTREME GAMING

Edit: Also, done a bit of URL haxery on my embed of the music vid on the third post to up the quality. It has delicious stereo and stuff now, so yay, it finally has a reason to be there . :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week