The PC Engine and Arcade Card
  • Retroware TV takes a look at the MOST POWERFUL 8-BIT Gaming System EVER MADE!!!

I can't help but think that had NEC just put more development into a 16 or even a 32 bit system, they might have survived beyond their short and POPULAR run in a Japan and certainly beyond their VERY SHITTY run in the USA and Europe.

But, it comes down to games as well. I mean it's nearly 20 years later and people can remember maybe 3 games from the system...

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

Bonk

Snatcher

and that's about it.

Besides having a GREAT portable unit that played EXACTLY the same game cartridges as it's big console brother, the NEC machines are destined to forever be a small footnote in gaming history.

Which is a shame, because they had GREAT potential.

-Ray
  • Wow, I had no idea about this. Amazing stuff, I love watching all the videos you dig up.
  • killswitch423 said:
    Wow, I had no idea about this. Amazing stuff, I love watching all the videos you dig up.

Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

-Ray
  • A great blast from the past. The PC Engine / Turbo Graphics 16 is well under rated.

image Peace out, yow!
  • I know literally nothing about the Turbo Graphix and thought it was a write off worldwide, never knew of its success in Japan. Some of the games look fairly fairly playable though. Do you know the name of the RPG that was shown? and if it was ever ported to the US?

That Retroware TV site is full of gems, I could sit watching all day >_>.
  • raskit said:
    I know literally nothing about the Turbo Graphix and thought it was a write off worldwide, never knew of its success in Japan. Some of the games look fairly fairly playable though. Do you know the name of the RPG that was shown? and if it was ever ported to the US?

That Retroware TV site is full of gems, I could sit watching all day >_>.

Near as I can tell it was this game...

Anearth Fantasy Stories/Seiya Monogatari

And in answer to your question, yes it was eventually ported to the United States (and probably Europe)...on the Sega Saturn.

-Ray

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week