Will we ever see 100% backwards compatibility on the PS3?
  • So it's been some time since the PS3 was released and pretty much everyone has come to terms with the fact they will not be able to play PS2 games on their machine, unless they go out of their way and purchase one of the older SKU's with the Emotion Engine chip or software emulation.

But is that the end of BC on the PS3? or do you think that it's possible Sony developers are hard at work behind the scenes formulating some kind of new and more reliable software emulation for PS2 play. Ready to spring upon an unaware gaming public.

I don't see why this could not be a possibility. There have been a few PS2 emulators created for windows over the years and although they aren't 100% working, they exist. If an independent, hobbist developer is capable of producing emulation software for now dated hardware, would it not be reasonable to suggest that a set of focused professional developers could create a 100% working PS2 emulator for the PS3 hardware? Or are Sony through with backwards compatibility? and now focused 100% on the future and have left the PS2 in the past behind them?

An announcement of a new software driven emulator capable of running all PS2 games would surely go in hand in hand with Sony's next price drop of the PS3. Specifically because this next price drop could be considered the one that will see the vast majority of PS2 users migrate to the current generation.

Your thoughts?

[When I refer to a new software emulator, I mean something that could be included within a firmware update or available on the PSN for all to download. Not a new physical chip in new SKU's like the emotion engine chip - but something that is available to all PS3 users for no price.]
  • No way, no chance. Sony doesn't want it backcompat - cuts into their ps2 profits, and they've said they're phasing it out more and more as time goes on. Don't expect ANYTHING from them - they do not care for backcompat.
  • i dont understand :( my ps3 is able to play ps2 games quite easily
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    No way, no chance. Sony doesn't want it backcompat - cuts into their ps2 profits, and they've said they're phasing it out more and more as time goes on. Don't expect ANYTHING from them - they do not care for backcompat.

I understand how adamant they have been on the no BC topic but this is more of a speculation to the possibility. Surely it would not be a difficult task for a group of skilled developers and although I have no problem with using my PS2 to play games, a lot of people are still shitty about the whole thing.

Raven_Sensei said:
    i dont understand Sad my ps3 is able to play ps2 games quite easily

You must have one of the earlier PS3 models, backwards compatibility was removed completely from the later PAL/NTSC PS3 models.
  • guys the times are changing, nowadays the biggest thing for companies is the give us the smallest amount of content for the maximum amound of money. The only company I can think of that really try to buck that trend is valve. Sony and Microsoft could of had full backwards compat why do you think they didn't one word sequels. The only reason MS had halo 2 BC was to keep people paying for live subscriptions till halo 3.
  • Recently, the MGS PS3 edition allowed Backwards Compatibility.
  • Who wouldn't want to play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games all on one console? Backwards compatibility for the PS3 was a factor in my purchase when I bought a launch 60GB.

It is sad that Sony has decided not to keep hardware BC with the emotion engine, and it is even worse that they are phasing out the emulated BC software that some select SKUs had available.

Here is why I believe Sony is removing BC. They plan on selling old Playstation 1 & 2 titles over the PSN. Why? Money. Including BC in their consoles only enables people to find used copies of their games. Phasing out the the ability to play older games is part of their business strategy.

Would it be easy for them to include PS 1 & 2 emulation?
    Yes.

And slightly off topic, there has been a NES emulator released, that works with a USB stick, that allows PS3 users to play NES roms. Currently it doesn't have sound and can't save game files. Probably in a couple months these issues will be fixed and a SNES and/or Genesis emulator will be released. A HUGE library of games on some of the best consoles of all time, all wrapped into one. This brings me back to my first question, as I can add to it.

Who wouldn't want a console that plays NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, & PS3 games?

Original PS3, you were/are the best.
  • WhoIsPootieTang? said:
    Why? Money

yup why do I get the feeling that consumer value is dropping month by month, when EA announced they wanted to focus on microtransactions at E3 It was very sad, but Sony aren't the only protagonists here look at Microsoft there BC list is crap, EVERY next gen console should be fully Backwards Compatible it should be standard and expected :evil:
  • Speed1ng Turtle said:
    [EVERY next gen console should be fully Backwards Compatible it should be standard and expected :evil:
    fuck yeah they all should,though im lucky to have bought one of the older 60gb models its sad that the newer models are bc hell i had a cravin for Tenchu Wrath of Heaven for ps2 and i bought that shit otherwise id hate to dig up my little bros ps2 cause its crappy right now
  • I doubt the situation will get any better with time either. Especially with both major consoles selling back logged games from the previous generation.

-Ray
  • Does it really matter that much? I mean surely everyone has a PS2 by now. Sony has bigger problems with their system IMO.
  • AshGooner said:
    Does it really matter that much? I mean surely everyone has a PS2 by now. Sony has bigger problems with their system IMO.

Honestly I think the BC issue goes hand in hand with the problems they are having with the PS3.

Case in point my Room Mate is an Avid Sony Fan(not a fanboy, because he does own a few other consoles). He wanted to get a PS3 when it first came out.

Then he heard the then 600 price tag and he said no way.

When the new priced units came out he wanted to get one again, then he heard they ripped the PS2 BC out of the thing and he had a fit. H refused to buy the system since his massive library of PS2 games wouldn't play on it.

I said, but you still have a PS2 for those games. He said, that was not the point. If he upgrades he doesn't want to be chugging between 2 consoles when BC is an option that was basically cut out of current PS3 units.

He feels, and maybe rightfully so, that Sony has let their arrogance and cost cutting measures push away a valued customer of theirs since the days of the PS1.

I'm pretty sure my room mate is not alone in the world.

-Ray

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week