Playchoice 10
  • To truly understand how popular the NES was when it burst on to the scene in America, you have but to see how it turned the arcade concept upside down and inside out.

In the days of the Atari 2600's popularity or even the Coleco with it's close to Arcade-Like graphics, no one would have filled an Arcade Cabinet with Atari or Coleco games. The idea was just ludicrous.

No one would have played 2600 Space invaders in an Arcade with real Space Invaders right there.

Yet there was the Playchoice 10 with NES Contra on it, right next to Actual Arcade Contra.

This is one of a thousand reasons why the NES will probably always be the most beloved and popular gaming console of all time!

-Ray
  • And I played and praised the whole lot of these machines! LOVE
  • Why have I not heard of this!? /shame

...Now I want one. Damn.
  • I remember playing Super Mario Bros. in the arcade. Was there actually a full arcade version or was I just playing this?
  • I hated these things. A lot of them actually only gave you a certain set of time per quarter, and then it just shut the game off. Plus they were usually filled with the crap of the crap, like Golf, Balloon Fight, and probably Kid Icarus :).

Still, it is impressive like Pocket said. I just remember them being one of the worst deals in the arcade. 5 minutes for a quarter playing Excitebike (which I had at home), or play FOREVER on Gauntlet.

Easy choice.

Yw
  • DeeStanley said:
    I remember playing Super Mario Bros. in the arcade. Was there actually a full arcade version or was I just playing this?

It could have been a Playchoice 10 or it might have been a VS Super Mario Bros. Cabinet. A year after SMB came out Nintendo released an arcade version of the game. Very little differences existed between the two games, and it was short lived and not a game that was very wide spread.

So if you did play one that is pretty cool.

-Ray
  • I've heard of these before, but never seen them in action. Check this out because there's a coin-op NES and SNES :?
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/04/coinop_nes-3.html

image Peace out, yow!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week