Shigeru Myamoto - Insights
  • Here is a quick video from the mid-90's where Shigeru Myamoto shares his inspirations for the creation of Mario and Starfox..

I didn't know about the inspiration for Starfox, that is pretty amazing. The man is a certified genius.

He is ,and will probably be, remembered as the Walt Disney of our generation.

-Ray
  • The man's a genius, I'd played computer games as a really young kid, but it was Mario and the NES that got me totally hooked. There was something about every game that Miyamoto was involved in, they all had this polish and attention to detail and were totally packed with character, even if they were only squeezed into a few Meg of data. Brilliant.

I can't think of many game studios that have come close to the consistently high quality of the games that Nintendo produced for the NES and the SNES. Yes the games were simpler back then, but that just presented the programmers with a greater challenge about how to get their story across.

It's a pity about Nintendo these days. I mean, I'm glad they're back from the brink and are having a lot of success, but looking at their current catalogue of games, it's only really Mario Galaxy that I think represents anything like the level of original thinking that they were doing back in the day.
  • It always amuses me to remember that Mario's iconic design was born of essential design choices to get the most out of the limited technology. I never knew that about Star Fox, pretty interesting stuff.
  • i don't think that was exactly what the creators of shintoism had in mind when they said the fox god could fly, but it makes for a good game.

also, i remember hearing that miyamoto's kids hate games, and hate miyamoto for making games, and by making casual games, miyamoto hopes to get his children into gaming so they won't hate him. is there ANY evidence that this is true? because if so i am fucking sad.
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    i don't think that was exactly what the creators of shintoism had in mind when they said the fox god could fly, but it makes for a good game.

also, i remember hearing that miyamoto's kids hate games, and hate miyamoto for making games, and by making casual games, miyamoto hopes to get his children into gaming so they won't hate him. is there ANY evidence that this is true? because if so i am fucking sad.

I remember a couple of years ago Miyamoto talking about his 'wifeometer' or something like that, where he said he can tell how successful a game is going to be with Nintendo's new audience by showing it to his wife, who doesn't usually play games.

Here's the video:
  • Jam Enslaver said:
    [quote=Lucien_Lachance]i don't think that was exactly what the creators of shintoism had in mind when they said the fox god could fly, but it makes for a good game.

I remember a couple of years ago Miyamoto talking about his 'wifeometer' or something like that, where he said he can tell how successful a game is going to be with Nintendo's new audience by showing it to his wife, who doesn't usually play games.

Here's the video:
    [/quote]

I remember this video. He came off as utterly charming and fun to listen too.

-Ray
  • I was at that GDC when he gave that talk -- it was _very_ inspiring. The only thing that kind of sucked was all of the jaded gaming journalists around me rolling their eyes and cracking jokes.

Assholes.

Yw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week