Suggestion Box #2
  • Hello Community! Welcome to the suggestion box, a thread devoted solely for the ideas you think that will make this community shine, and features you think that are outdated or just generally don't befit our fine site. Encompassing it all in one easy to read sentence:

This is the thread that you can be heard about what you would do if you had all the resources necessary.

But wait! Before you get your typing fingers blazing or pick up that pen and feed my mimic; we do have a few ground rules that need to be covered. *Pauses for groans* Yeah, yeah, I know. But we can't have fun without knowing what constitutes as fun now can we? So here we go.

* No complaining about any one or a group of people
    * If you have a complaint, use manners and tact. Telling us it fucking sucks will just get your post edited to something like "I like ballerinas".
    * Unlike anywhere else on Noobtoob, don't feel bad if the suggestion was made. We can point you back to the original post if nessecary.
    * Patience. I can guarantee one detailed answer a week, I will try for 2-4 a week but again... I guarantee 1.
  • First off, mostly a reminder to myself:
    Review forum sub forums - four major consoles and a retro.
  • I dont really have a suggestion but a question. You said the sub forums for game reviews that one is the 4 major consoles. Does that mean the main 3 and pc? Because there are 2 handhelds. Thanks!
  • Also a note to self: At some point we were considering placing a 'relevance limit' on Game Discussion - restricting topics to games who were released or had imminent release, as an attempt to cut down on conjecture. This would also allow us to loosen up the reins on Gaming News a bit, but was decided to be too much of a culture shock to do at the same time as the split.
  • is it possible to request a anime subforum within the media section or is that a bit hard to do?
  • i have a sorta question and suggestion

well i was wondering about the spamming your own stuff rule like how you are not allowed to post things about your site our your own videos that are unrelated to noobtoob now what if a couple people have bands make cool videos have there own website etc

and they want to show us the cool stuff that they do that are unrelated to the community now since the rule is no spamming could we possibly have a board maybe for just unrelated users content

but now i am thinking well could we not just have a thread that people just post there stuff about but then we may have 25 pages possibly with all these peoples posts and not everyone is going to read it or even having it in your signiture is a good idea but it may not be the same type of publicizing you want

so if we have a new board or even if people are allowed to post in the off topic or even the media section and are posting stuff they created that has no relevance too noobtoob we may be seeing a huge variety of new content
  • I second MBG's suggestion. An unrelated generated content bored would be amazing. It is always interesting to see what other people are doing with their freetime. And different art, video, and sites could all be posted in this.

The only bad thing would be if it got out of hand; then of course it would need to be shut down. But I think with enough moderation, it could be a huge sucess. Nice idea, MBG.
  • I had an idea similar to MBG's but was wondering what others thought.

I've seen people post a whole new thread just to link a cool video they found on youtube or whatever video site (I've done it myself) and I've always thought there should be a dedicated thread to post stuff like that (video game related or not). I've found stuff that I thought other noobtoobers might love but didn't post because I didn't think it was good enough to warrant it's own thread.

Sorta like the dedicated Zero Punctuation thread where Yahtzee's new vids are posted instead of starting a new thread for each vid.

Just a thought.. nothing big but thought it might be cool.
  • Sirch said:
    I've seen people post a whole new thread just to link a cool video they found on youtube or whatever video site (I've done it myself) and I've always thought there should be a dedicated thread to post stuff like that (video game related or not). I've found stuff that I thought other noobtoobers might love but didn't post because I didn't think it was good enough to warrant it's own thread.

Link

I started that thread a while ago for that exact reason but it didn't last very long. I still like the idea, but it didn't seem to get enough support.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    [quote=Sirch]I've seen people post a whole new thread just to link a cool video they found on youtube or whatever video site (I've done it myself) and I've always thought there should be a dedicated thread to post stuff like that (video game related or not). I've found stuff that I thought other noobtoobers might love but didn't post because I didn't think it was good enough to warrant it's own thread.

Link

I started that thread a while ago for that exact reason but it didn't last very long. I still like the idea, but it didn't seem to get enough support.[/quote]

Ah cool.. Looks like you started it in May, I wasn't around the forum then otherwise I probably would have been bumping it.
  • I think the topic that GE4M started would be great for that sort of thing.
  • i know a topic would be great but everything would get so cluttered and content from random videos is different or even seperate topics would be good too possibly
  • I've had this idea in my head for a while now, relating to the NooBTooB Arcade.

I was thinking that perhaps, it could be its own forum here. The main weekly featured game could be stickied, while people are free to post up whatever games they find themselves to add them to the arcade and compare scores. This way, it'd be more like an actual arcade in that you can hop into the forum, play a game, and post your score. Also, if moderated, a list of the top scores for each game could be kept in the first post of a game's thread for people to come back and check, as in a real arcade. In which case, that spirit of the challenge can ignite in any game that people wish, rather than just winning or losing the weekly challenge and that's that.

Of course, the weekly challenged would still be there and featured as a sticky, but I think that with additional games in a section for ongoing competition would be a lot of fun, if moderated properly.

If opening up posting to anyone who finds a game doesn't work, then perhaps a thread can just be kept for a previous week's featured game below the new featured game. This would keep the quality of games high, and the forum wouldn't be overrun by not-so-good games.
  • How about while recording the show, host it live on something like talkshoe. It will allow people to listen live to the show being recorded. And also you can take calls over it, like skype. Then instead of prerecorded calls, you can take live questions from the viewers. You could also set up a chat for everyone to hang out in while we listen, so we can share opinions with each other on the topics as you discuss them, instead of doing it all in one post each week.
  • Oh! i know!

Why dont we add a section of arcade games on NoobToob so that the community can have a little fun competing for top scores on just random arcade games and top people who score in the week will be posted on the home page and maby be given a noobie or two?

Just a thought.
  • I definitely like the idea of having a thread to collect various videos and the like. That way the mods can just merge over threads over there and not have to lock them.

We'll look into that in the next week or so.

Yw
  • MBG

Sorry dude, but that probably isn't going to happen. This is a video game message board. It probably isn't the best place to start publicizng a band or any other venture any one is doing. There are already huge socializing networks out there. Myspace and Facebook come to mind immediately. Dane Cooke got a damn lot of free publicity from MySpace. Regardless if you like him or not, if you work at it you can make it happen.

I don't think lifting that ban would result in anything but thousands of users spamming the website with useless shit that I don't care about. That includes bands, websites, retail goods, and illegal medicines... okay I like the medicines; but the rest stinks.

Raven
    Um... The answer is kind of the same as MBG's. Why not join an Fanime site? You don't see me pressing for a Play by Post DnD board here. That's because there are sites where I can do that if I want to.

I know that Anime is actually a good tie in with video games, but the fact remains that this is a video game forum and not an anime forum. Though, who knows... In time that might actually be feasible, even though I am against it.

Killswitch & Honda
    No forum getting added for flash games. Sure there are hundreds out there, but once we had links to them all then what? Also how many posts do you think would be
    duplicated over and over again because someone didn't bother searching. I don't want to moderate that board, I can tell you that much.

However, I have seen a few forums/sites that have a feature similar to this. I will do some research on it, but if it isn't super easy to implement; don't expect it to happen unless Sloth sees the high value in the work involved.

Lastly,

These are my opinions and not the final word. It doesn't mean any of this will happen or not happen, but at least you know we are reading and taken things into consideration. ;)
  • quahgg said:

Killswitch & Honda
    No forum getting added for flash games. Sure there are hundreds out there, but once we had links to them all then what? Also how many posts do you think would be
    duplicated over and over again because someone didn't bother searching. I don't want to moderate that board, I can tell you that much.

Good point. But what if it were to be something like Addicinggames.com? Kinda like on the top of this page where it says Front Page, Podcast, Community, and Wiki. Just add another slide like "NoobToob Arcade" or something like that. But like you said this would be WAY to much of a hastle to moderate and to put together.
    But it would be cool if it happened. lol

Oh, and for Killswitch. Dude, if your reading this i dident mean to take your idea i just read the thread and then went straight to "Post reply". Sorry if it seemed like i was just copying you.
  • Beta section for games. Instead of having a topic in the games discussion swamped by new games that everyone is playing, perhaps a section for people to post up on the latest beta they have gotten into. Obviously, you have to deal with NDA's and so forth, but I would like to see this. We would just have to trust our members enough not to breach the NDA and bring the site into trouble.

Perhaps something that will take some planning, but something I would be willing to help with and engage in. Many betas are going on out there right now that people can enter that people just don't know about, but would like to try. I have more ideas for it, and if you guys want to hear more I would love to share.

Another suggestion is that the fellow administrators should force Sloth into delivering on photos of an inanimate object in a weird orifice. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with false promises!
  • quahgg said:
    MBG

Sorry dude, but that probably isn't going to happen. This is a video game message board. It probably isn't the best place to start publicizng a band or any other venture any one is doing. There are already huge socializing networks out there. Myspace and Facebook come to mind immediately. Dane Cooke got a damn lot of free publicity from MySpace. Regardless if you like him or not, if you work at it you can make it happen.

I don't think lifting that ban would result in anything but thousands of users spamming the website with useless shit that I don't care about. That includes bands, websites, retail goods, and illegal medicines... okay I like the medicines; but the rest stinks.

i see what you mean quahgg but to mee this isnt just a game site its more of friends talking to eachother about their common shared intrests so if you have done something else and you want to show someone why not just post something you have done?
  • HondaKiller720 said:
    [quote=quahgg]

Killswitch & Honda

Oh, and for Killswitch. Dude, if your reading this i dident mean to take your idea i just read the thread and then went straight to "Post reply". Sorry if it seemed like i was just copying you.[/quote]

Not a problem, Honda. Happens. :) Plus, good to see someone else likes the idea.

What about the idea to make the forum only include games that have been part of the NooBTooB Arcade? This would keep the flooding at bay while still stocking a forum with a great, working arcade. Sure, the forum would probably need a moderator willing to work hard at it, but I think it could work if you find someone willing to do it.
  • eh, a forum with one new topic a week? I dunno.

IMO we should make more of the Hall of Fame. At the moment it's basically entirely comprised of old Listener Homeworks, which is nice and all, but I think we should use it to archive all topics that get show features - Member of the Week, Shoop Contest and, of course, the Arcade.

Thoughts?
  • I agree with you Magenta. I do think we should make more use of the Hall of Fame or we might as well rename it the Listener Homework Archive.
  • Is it just me, or is there an AWFUL lot of stickies in gaming culture? At least 1 or 2 of the threads could be un-stickied, not to say they're bad or anything.
  • Magenta said:
    eh, a forum with one new topic a week? I dunno.

Well, that is just one extreme. A middle ground would, I suppose, include some sort of filtering process for games in the forum.
  • lukey19 said:
    Is it just me, or is there an AWFUL lot of stickies in gaming culture? At least 1 or 2 of the threads could be un-stickied, not to say they're bad or anything.

does seem to be alot for sure. Maybe a limit of like 5 stickies per section or something?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week