MMOs have they changed you as a gamer?
  • I used to buy and rent all sorts of games. I had to own every console out, and beat every game I ever got my hands on. I never played an MMO until I was 22 and since then have not been able to get that same feeling I used to have when I played console games. I still play console games and MMO's ,but the MMOs have, for some reason, become the main focus of my gaming over the past several years. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't break free. I bought Age of Conan at launch, and at that point I realized I might have a problem. Hell, I'm downloading the Warhammer Online Beta Client as I type this. Serioulsy, though, after my long backstory I guess I'm asking if this has happened to anyone else?

    Have MMO's changed the way you look at or play games? Have they changed the industry, and if so is it for the better or worse?
  • i dont think it has changed the industry...but it has changed the way alot of people look at games..i think that RPG fans are starting to cry out for MMO's rather than just single player rpg's..me being one of them...i love coming online and getting into some mmo action.lol..
  • I hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeee MMO's. Mainly because my friend is a whore and won't do anything else because he's constantly got his face buried in WoW. That, and I just don't like them. I don't get off on PvP, I hate grinding, fetch quests can suck my sack, they don't have as much of a story to them unless you look REEAALLLY hard into the details of the endless amount of quests you receive to find a connection. It's... just not my thing. To each his own I guess.

    As for it changing the industry, I sure hope not... I do occasionally enjoy an RPG. Just not MMORPGs. I know the whole idea behind an RPG is that you're usually traveling with a 'party' of 'friends' in a fantasy, sci-fi or other themed environment to better yourself and potentially save the world... but I can do that just as well with NPCs. Something about people on the internet irks me to no end. People in the real world are bad enough... put them on the internet and it gets exponentially worse. If you need proof... play Runescape. Oh wait... that's an MMO. [/rant]

    This is the sanest place on 'teh intarwebz' and you people are fucking crazy. I'm going back to my chambers... I need to put on my robe and wizard hat.
  • Edge said:
    I hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeee MMO's. Mainly because my friend is a whore and won't do anything else because he's constantly got his face buried in WoW. That, and I just don't like them. I don't get off on PvP, I hate grinding, fetch quests can suck my sack, they don't have as much of a story to them unless you look REEAALLLY hard into the details of the endless amount of quests you receive to find a connection. It's... just not my thing. To each his own I guess.

    As for it changing the industry, I sure hope not... I do occasionally enjoy an RPG. Just not MMORPGs. I know the whole idea behind an RPG is that you're usually traveling with a 'party' of 'friends' in a fantasy, sci-fi or other themed environment to better yourself and potentially save the world... but I can do that just as well with NPCs. Something about people on the internet irks me to no end. People in the real world are bad enough... put them on the internet and it gets exponentially worse. If you need proof... play Runescape. Oh wait... that's an MMO. [/rant]
    I take it you don't play online games then.
    This is the sanest place on 'teh intarwebz' and you people are fucking crazy. I'm going back to my chambers... I need to put on my robe and wizard hat.

    I take it you don't play any online games. :wink:
  • I'm a relative newcomer to MMOs, with Age of Conan being my first. I don't think it's changed the way I play games all that much, it just means I always have a game I can be playing. Right now I'm finding it difficult to make time for AoC because I have a number of other awesome games on the go, but I know that if I ever get into a slump, it'll still be there.
  • I enjoy MMO's, mainly for the feeling of working as a team, whether it be PvE or PvP. Having said that, I do prefer MMO's which require at least a modicum of skill (which does not include WoW)
  • .Ethereal. said:
    I enjoy MMO's, mainly for the feeling of working as a team, whether it be PvE or PvP. Having said that, I do prefer MMO's which require at least a modicum of skill (which does not include WoW)


    Ummm? I'd ask what you play and then tell you why it takes no skill either, but I doubt you have done of the major raiding in WoW. 95% of the people that say WoW lacks skill don't partake in PVP, Arena, or Raids; let alone that most of those people don't even reach max level.
  • The first MMO I ever played was FFXI. That game FORECED you to group up. You could hardly kill something the same level as you without a group. Groups were the life of the game. Only problem was that FFXI was grindy as hell and if you couldn't find a group, you might as well play watching the grass grow because there was nothing to do if you didn't have a group.

    I have played FFXI, WoW, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, and Age of Conan. I think what makes MMOs really interesting is not the game. The game is always the same: level grinding and fetch quests. To me, MMOs have 2 things that makes them fun.
    1st - the number one rule of coop - Coop makes shit fun.
    2nd - The metagame. When you get 10,000 people together and they all have to share a world, you've got enough mass to create some really interesting economic games. You've also got a really weird situation where you put something in the game that is of a limited quantity, but you have a game where, from single player games, everyone is used to always getting the best stuff.

    For example, in Age of Conan, supposedly there are a limited number of guild city sites. The causes competition over a limited supply of land. This means there will be groups of haves and have nots. The problem is, in video games, especially single player, the player is always in the have group. We expect the game to give us everything we want in exchange for a certain about of effort. In single player games, if you want a rare item, you either kill the monster that has it, or you collect enough gil or gold or monster horns to trade for the item. Even if there is only one of that item in the game, you're the only one who's striving for that item, so even if you play extremely inefficiently, but still make your goal, you get the reward. In an MMO, either you provide a limited supply of a resource and force competition and create a class system of haves and have nots, typically based on the amount of hours played, or you make the resource unlimited, so everyone can have their own guild city or their own house and you have 10,000 special people and it ceases to be special.

    MMOs have taught me to be happy being a 2nd class citizen, to weigh the time investment versus the reward.
  • Well, the thing I like about MMO's is that the game never ends and you see your character getting better and better. I'm not a MMO-whore I only played WoW, but for a long time.
    What I'm trying to say is for example in Bioshock, you are in the end of the game and you finally are super powerfull, and what happens 10 minutes later? Game Over. I love single player games aswell but I always get this feeling of "damm I wish I could play more with my character". I think MMO's changed that on me.
  • Jam Enslaver said:

    . Right now I'm finding it difficult to make time for AoC because I have a number of other awesome games on the go, but I know that if I ever get into a slump, it'll still be there.


    well...maybe, AoC is very lacking in the MMO market right now. I wouldn't be surprised at the release of of WAR if it either dies out, or has a massive over haul to stay in competition.
  • The first MMO I ever played was Warcraft 2 when it first came out in the 1990's (everyone had dial up, it was wierd playing online while taking up the phone line).

    Recently, the only MMO I have been playing is StarCraft, at which I only play with friends. I played RuneScape for a long time, and that game tired me out of a lot of MMO based games.

    As of the last year or so, I haven't had any desire to play MMOs.
  • Fuzzy said:
    The first MMO I ever played was Warcraft 2 when it first came out in the 1990's (everyone had dial up, it was wierd playing online while taking up the phone line).

    Recently, the only MMO I have been playing is StarCraft, at which I only play with friends. I played RuneScape for a long time, and that game tired me out of a lot of MMO based games.

    As of the last year or so, I haven't had any desire to play MMOs.


    hnnmmm i wouldnt really call a multiplayer game an MMO, as you can still only have about 8 people a game. MMO is more like legend of mir, WoW, AoC etc....least thats what i count them as. Don't really see SC or WC2 as MMOs as they are not Massively Multiplayer.
  • Good point Stealth. I guess all I ever played was RuneScape and a little bit of WoW (and by I little bit, I mean I got to like level 27 and quit because I got bored).

    Massive games can sometimes frustrate me. Communities are very hard to work with, especially if the base of the group is younger or immature. I played WoW alone, so at low levels, I was playing with lot of idiots who would go halfway through an instance and then quit because their "mom is saying it's bedtime." It was really hard to get money and items when your success as a character depends semi-heavily (since Instances werent 100% necessary) on other players in the community.
  • I played Runescape for a very very long time. 3 or 4 years at least. It wasn't the fact that it was absaloutely amazing, it was due to the fact my laptop isn't good enough to play WoW, Everquest, LOTRO etc. Very very soon however, im hoping to get a great new computer to play Age of Conan, hopefully with noobtoobers.

    Runescape definitely changed me as a gamer. Runescape demanded hours and hours a day for you to get anywhere. It was just grinding. After a while i lost motivation, and that's what's bringing me to start AoC.

    I really really really REALLY can't wait.
  • Fuzzy said:
    Good point Stealth. I guess all I ever played was RuneScape and a little bit of WoW (and by I little bit, I mean I got to like level 27 and quit because I got bored).

    Massive games can sometimes frustrate me. Communities are very hard to work with, especially if the base of the group is younger or immature. I played WoW alone, so at low levels, I was playing with lot of idiots who would go halfway through an instance and then quit because their "mom is saying it's bedtime." It was really hard to get money and items when your success as a character depends semi-heavily (since Instances werent 100% necessary) on other players in the community.


    i know what you mean, i tend to get bored with MMOs unless I know someone who is also playing. Thats why i am hoping that AoC goes well for me as their is a bunch of noob toobers on there :)
  • Malicious said:
    I played Runescape for a very very long time. 3 or 4 years at least. It wasn't the fact that it was absaloutely amazing, it was due to the fact my laptop isn't good enough to play WoW, Everquest, LOTRO etc. Very very soon however, im hoping to get a great new computer to play Age of Conan, hopefully with noobtoobers.

    Runescape definitely changed me as a gamer. Runescape demanded hours and hours a day for you to get anywhere. It was just grinding. After a while i lost motivation, and that's what's bringing me to start AoC.

    I really really really REALLY can't wait.


    Funcom reported the worst quarterly losses in Company History
    http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Ep...-Funcom-Under/

    Quote:
    After six weeks of waiting, we finally have our hands on Funcom's 2nd Quarter 2008 Financial Report, and the prognosis is decidedly negative. Buzz from the mid-May launch of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures failed to overcome the disappointment as Funcom reported the worst quarterly losses in company history.

    Quote:
    Unfortunately for Funcom, nearly half the customers who purchased the game failed to subscribe beyond the "free month" included with the box. The official figure released in the financial report indicate that only 415,000 subscribers were active by June 30, 11 days after the free month expired.

    Jebus, I didn't believe it is that bad.

    UPDATE: Funcom CEO sells 18.7% of his shares
    http://www.funcom.com/wsp/funcom/fro...&table=CONTENT

    Arminius AS, has on 15 August sold 400,000 shares in Funcom N.V. at NOK 17.2824 per share. Arminius AS, is wholly owned by Mr. Trond Aas, the CEO and Managing Director of Funcom N.V. Arminius AS sells the shares in Funcom primarily to cover Mr. Aas’ acquisition costs of the shares as well as accumulated wealth tax costs of the past six years as a result of the holdings in Funcom. Mr. Aas and Arminius AS have over the course of those 6 years not sold any shares in the Company. The sale represents 18,7% of his outstanding shares and exercisable options.
    After the transaction, Arminius AS and Mr. Aas own a total of 1.187.825 shares, corresponding to 2.25% of the outstanding shares in the company and 552.500 options in Funcom. Mr. Aas and Arminius do not plan further share sales over the coming 12 months, except potentially to cover tax costs related to options exercised during that period.
    For Further Information, please contact;

    Olav Sandnes
    CFO Funcom
  • The way its changed things is it majorly increased the number of adults that live with their mom still. I was once addicted to an mmo. Never will I play one again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week