Photorealism thanks to AMD
  • Just take a look at this picture:
    http://www.joystiq.com/photos/amd-cinema-2-0/970671/

Wow, total photo realism. Of course this is not fully practical yet in video games, or at all. But I have to say that if this where the future of graphics is heading.... holy shit that looks real.

But the realistic portion is not what I am excited about, it is the way that art directors can take this technology and make their true vision a reality in fucking amazing detail.

What do you all think? Is this going to be the new, and most importantly, practical video game graphics? Or is this going to be the new Hollywood engine that we will have to watch instead of play?
  • quite impressive, this tech will be ready by the ps9
  • I'm gonna quote myself from another thread:

"You know, I"m going to go out on a limb here and not say any specific game, but rather a mindset in the gaming industry. I think that hyper-realistic graphics are overrated. I don't want my games to look like real life, though I can understand the craving for immersion through graphics. However, I believe that graphics alone can't create immersion in a game. Hell, I don't even believe they're necessary for it. Some of the most immersive games I've played (Okami, Super Mario Galaxy, Killer 7) didn't have hyper-realistic graphics. I'd much rather play a game that thinks outside of the box visually than one that spends millions of dollars to make one brownish greyish thing look browner and greayer than the brownish grewyish thing next to it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my games pretty. But 'pretty' and 'realistic' aren't the same concept. "

That being said, DAMN. That's some impressive shit.
  • I mostly agree with killswitch that not everything has to be realistic, especially if it is fancy fantasy game or a platformer.
    However, certain type of games simply require a realistic look due to their story and setting. This is where the realistic look is used as a style to create that immersive feel. For instance, something like Max Payne just wouldn't do in Cell Shading graphics.
  • holy shit! if there was game with those graphics i would definatley get it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week