The Genesis Generation
  • Are you part of the Sega Generation?

From 1989/1990

Wow, do I miss the Genesis/Mega Drive

-Ray
  • I always preferred the SNES. I just... didn't like the look, feel and style of the Genesis. Golden Axe was fun though, but aside from that and the Sonic series... there just wasn't much that appealed to me. The Dreamcast was amazing though. Too bad they got it right at the wrong time...
  • im a sega fanboy so till n64 came out nintendo could suck it
  • Well I wasn't born until 1991 but god I loved the Genesis.
  • I honestly liked snes better. More and better games.
  • See, I was lucky enough to own both so I'm not a fanboy of either.
  • killswitch423 said:
    See, I was lucky enough to own both so I'm not a fanboy of either.

I never owned either but I played them at my freinds house all the time. Unfortunatly I missed out on donkey kong country. Is it worth downloading on the virtual console?
  • Donkey Kong Country was an AMAZING platformer.

At least for it's time, I haven't played it in years so I'm not sure if it would hold up. But definitely worth a few bucks.
  • Edge said:
    I always preferred the SNES. I just... didn't like the look, feel and style of the Genesis. Golden Axe was fun though, but aside from that and the Sonic series... there just wasn't much that appealed to me. The Dreamcast was amazing though. Too bad they got it right at the wrong time...

I got my Genesis with the 2nd Check from my very first job when it came out in 1989. Prior to that I was still playing my Commodore 64 and my brother's NES, but I had become a big fan of Video Game magazines which were really just kicking off at the time.

There were so many cool articles about the Genesis/Mega Drive from Japan and the TurboGraphx that I knew I wanted one of them.

It was the article about revenge of Shinobi and Ghostbusters that finally won me over and I knew I had to have this cool ass NEXT Gen super-Machine.

So I got it and it came bundled with Altered Beast which I loved playing in the Arcade and it's first few games were like any console, kind of weak. Except Phantasy Star 2 which was fantastic.

Such fun as I played Co-OP games like Toejam and Earl and Streets of Rage with my then best friend (current roommate) for hours and hours. We both went crazy for Populous.

But, as time went on the games just got better and better and better.

Then came Sonic and everything else fell into place.

Eventually I got a SNES, but I never played it as much as I played my Genesis. I was definitely a Sega Fan boy growing up. I got the CD ROM Drive and even the 32X eventually.

It was the ultimate suck of the 32X and the kind of on the fence shitty machines that were coming out (this was the dark and terrible time prior to the PS1) and I switched to PC games as I got my first PC.

But, I'll never truly forget one of my best friends growing up... My Genesis!

-Ray

(PS Donkey Kong Country still holds up really well and is worth your time)
  • Oh my god Streets of Rage was amazing.
  • "fire breathing caterpillars"
  • raskit said:
    "fire breathing caterpillars"

Phantasy Star 2, huh.

Those lil' Sons of bitches were mean. :D

-Ray
  • Funk-O-Tron motherfucker, hahaha. I forgot all about Toejam and Earl. GREAT game. I vaguely remember playing that with my brother at the time it came out. Good times...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week