Forum Update - April 07
  • Some new features, implemented that reputation system and addressed all the issues in the wiki. If you can name all the new stuff I put in, I'll give you a noobie, lol.

There are still some bugs running around (about me is not working) so I'm going to go fix them.

Posting up any bugs you find would help. <3
  • I doubt I get them all but here we go....

Noobie count next to account name, related topics in threads at the bottom of the thread, reputation system (duh), view unanswered near the read new posts, Bumped from last joined to last 2 joined, Birthdays!! Hmmm... maybe the time things but I am not sure. Alot has changed in three months.

EDIT: Just noticed the moderators on the bottom of the forum and current browsers. Very nice work Sloth and so far bug free for me. For some reason I have never had the IRC work for me unless I am on the homepage... but that is firefox or my comp not your domain. Also, got the picture next to the names above the icons, damn.... I am addicted all over again.

EDIT II: DUDE!!! Your updating as I post... lol. Now you have upcoming birthdays and names. Last 3 threads started in the profiles. Hmmm what else...
  • so di just click the "Good Post" button to give people noobies? I am saving my noobies for truely good posts :) thats right folks "StealthNoobies" will be the rarest of them all...muahahaha...gotta get em all...muahahahaa

it has to be said i like the similar topics bit at the end of the the pages :) how does that work? does it just look for keywords and assosiates them with keywords in other recent topics?

nice job dude :)
  • Um, just had a quick browse through. I'll fix the about me and add in the photo section properly tomorrow morning. With the photo section, it aims to be a photo of either you, or your gaming room. Or, you can go all creative and upload a photo of you _in_ your gaming room. =O

I put the "good post"/+ noobie button at the bottom right as opposed to the top right next to quote etc so you don't have to scroll up after reading a long post. The Noobies will actually do something, lol. First thing we're going to do is add ranks based on noobies. So at 50 noobies, you get x rank. At 100, you get xx rank. With Noobies, you can't give them to yourself, you can only give one per minute and yeah. o_O

The forums themselves now have a RSS/Atom feed and yeah... I don't really remember anything else, lol.

I really hope that nobody is sad enough to abuse the noobie system. It takes a while to abuse it and I really like it, so don't want to take it down. I like how there's the noobie next to your name (its not really clear what it is, huh? =/) and whilst browsing, its really nice to see it go up by itself. "oh, somebody just gave me a point. =D"
  • ehhh I don't think the abuse will be that hard to curb if it were to happen. A couple lines of code and a database variable and you can limit how many people give out in a 24 hour period. Seen it done elsewhere, and it's a nice way to make them coveted. I personally will only be giving out noobies for really funny, in-depth, or contemplating topics. Or as prizes for like the screenshots and what not.

Also, you added a member list bonus of country pictures, and noobies.
  • I see that you have changed the avatar sizes from 100x100 to 80x80 :)

unfortunately that means mine no longer shows up, so i shrunk it down to the upropriate size...but when i upload it, it says it has done it. But there is a load of PHP script showing at the top, and the photo doesnt get uploaded.

Also if you try and upload a picture greater than 80x80 then you get an error message, but no message saying what the error is.
  • Scratch that, thats not avatar control that is photo control

so where has my avatar gone :(

oh and you dont have wales on the list of countries ^^
  • is there anyway to see what you have got the noobies for? or whom gave them to you?

i have 1 noobie :) but i have no idea what i did :P
  • yeh if there isnt a way currently to see what post you got your noobie for or who you got them from
    i think you definatly should and i think everyone on the forums should give sloth a noobie for all the hard work he has put into the forum/ site
    btw how old ru sloth ?
  • Bowdo said:
    yeh if there isnt a way currently to see what post you got your noobie for or who you got them from
    i think you definatly should and i think everyone on the forums should give sloth a noobie for all the hard work he has put into the forum/ site
    btw how old ru sloth ?

his wiki page says he was born September 15th, 1989 (which would make him 17), so i gather that the bday on his profile is just for testing the birthday function on the board :/
  • You should have bad noobies for dumb guys just posting about shit just to get a noobie. That way when someone gave them a bad noobie they'd decline in # of points.
  • Can we get noobies for winning iron gamer challenges and the weekly arcade?
  • This new system is pretty awesome...
    just one request...

... don't start trading noobies for ingame money :evil:
  • sloth, excellent work first of all...

is there a thread that explains all the current udate notes? i havent scanned through everything just yet..
    cuz i am interested on how the noobies work, cuz say someone has a great post, can like 10 different people give him a noobie for that and his number would goto +10 ??

i need more explanation.. i mean.. im just a noob...

also, just like everyone else is saying, it would be cool to be able to see who gave u a noobie, and for what thread.

can u give yourself a noobie? that option should be eliminated
  • Cool features thumps up : )
  • Love all the features you put in, as they say on ebay A++. :lol:
    Anyways Cya

TRFS
  • We'll work to figure out the right levels of noobies to various ranks, but in general I think they should follow the following guidelines:

* First rank should be pretty easy to obtain, and be able to go from noob who doesn't post at all, to basic contributor. So a low limit like 10 to go from unranked to something like "initiate" would be nice

* Subsequent ranks should be harder and harder to obtain, maybe on a geometric scale like (10, 100, 1000). The actual progregression should be based on how many noobies people have after a week or two. The worst thing to do would be to implement a rank system and then change it again, which may piss a lot of people off. So we'll spend a good amount of time on a good system before we implement

* I think negative noobies could go pretty badly if they're user wide, but moderators should be able to dock points as more effective "warnings". I'd rather have the user community big up good posts and let mods hand out the infractions.

* I really like the idea of limiting the number of points awarded per day. Anything that would make them a little more valuable so people don't give out hundreds seems like it'll be a good idea. Sloth, any way to implement that?

Yw
  • Could you make it so that we see who gives the noobies?
  • I've also noticed that you can "noobie" yourself...
    I really hope there won't be any noobie farmers
  • kenkaze said:
    I've also noticed that you can "noobie" yourself...
    I really hope there won't be any noobie farmers

this is strange, when the changes were first implemented the "Good Post" button didnt appear on your own posts. I think something may have gone wrong somewhere >.<
  • Sloth, what have you DONE?!
  • No, you can't noobie yourself, it clicks and it looks like it goes through but it doesn't register it.

I'll add in a second button for noobie + message. That way you can opt to send a noobie without the hassle of a message or type something in.
  • Ew... consider me weird or whatever, but I'm definitely NOT liking the idea of 'noobies'. It destroys the concept of generally identifying who has been around the longest and is an active poster. Also, without clearly identifying what is worthy of a noobie, you'll generally have a small cabal of core posters that will bolster their own numbers. Its too random, and if left as is would definitely turn me away from the forum.
  • Ok here's the thing you can't noobie yourself but you get noobies from noobing others. :evil:
  • Look up the meaning of the word cabal. :lol:

Eh, screw it, I'll put it here for you:

Function: noun
    Etymology: French cabale cabala, intrigue, cabal, from Medieval Latin cabbala cabala, from Late Hebrew qabbAlAh, literally, received (lore)
    1 : the artifices and intrigues of a group of persons secretly united in a plot (as to overturn a government); also : a group engaged in such artifices and intrigues
    2 : CLUB, GROUP
    synonym see PLOT

You've basically substituted board presence for a popularity contest. But hey, if you like that, then good for you. I'm just saying that is moving the board in a more 'exclusive' direction.
  • Dart said:
    Look up the meaning of the word cabal. :lol:

Eh, screw it, I'll put it here for you:

Function: noun
    Etymology: French cabale cabala, intrigue, cabal, from Medieval Latin cabbala cabala, from Late Hebrew qabbAlAh, literally, received (lore)
    1 : the artifices and intrigues of a group of persons secretly united in a plot (as to overturn a government); also : a group engaged in such artifices and intrigues
    2 : CLUB, GROUP
    synonym see PLOT

You've basically substituted board presence for a popularity contest. But hey, if you like that, then good for you. I'm just saying that is moving the board in a more 'exclusive' direction.

You have a point. *noobie* :D

Well, I don't think noobies will substitute board presence as thats defined by the posts you make. Noobies are intended to complement this "good" presence and at the same time phase out post count.

Hm... How do you suggest we fix this problem?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week