Listener Homework - Biggest Mistake by each of the Big 3?
  • Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all have made big mistakes. Some of the more than others, but that's not the point.

Which ONE mistake by each company is the absolute worst thing they have done, and need to remedy? Some of them are too late. Mine are:

Nintendo: No storage solution, thinking 512mb was 'enough' with a Virtual Console + WiiWare. A lot of people probably think friend codes are their big mistake, but you have to look outside of the box to see. If I pass my 360 to a 10 year old and they play online, they are GUARANTEED to see something inappropriate. Whether it's dick-flashing in Uno, offensive Gamertags, and not to mention the voice.

Sony: This one is a huge tossup for me. Part of me thinks that their online play is gimped because not everything (most people) don't have a headset. Another problem I had is the XMB not doing much in-game as we had been led to believe. I'll go with the mic problem - if you're going to play online, you need...NEED to have the ability to speak.

Microsoft: DVD still APPEARS to be doing fine, though time does march on. I think M$'s big problem, their biggest one overall, is not having a hard drive come with each system. This FORCES devs to have to program without even any benefit of caching data, even at the very least. A pity.

Your thoughts? Try to keep it to one big mistake!
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    Sony: This one is a huge tossup for me. Part of me thinks that their online play is gimped because not everything (most people) don't have a headset. Another problem I had is the XMB not doing much in-game as we had been led to believe.

This IS annoying, especially since everyone who has a mic for their computer SHOULD have one for PS3, IT CAN USE USB GODDAMNIT. PEOPLE. TALK MORE, however this isn't my problem with them.

Nintendo: Giving up on non-casual gaming, huge mistake.

Sony: Not having any solid (Action)RPGs yet (anyone else remember how the PS1 and PS2 had RPGs on them? yeah? PS3, where the fuck are you going?)

Microsoft: No really big problems. Not having a solution for the RRoD yet is baffling though.
  • nintendo: going for the money, its sad to say that i only use my wii(or as i like to call it boom blox console) when friends come over, I WANT SOME GAMES GOD DAMN

Sony: i hate all the hat towards ps3, a lot of it isnt true and its still a great console, the biggest mistake with it IMO is not including an official headset with the system. The fuck? they do TONS of stuff to make it the most open gaming platform(besides PC) and they dont give headsets? ugh.

Microsoft: my console has gone into repair 3 TIMES, im seriously thinking about just giving up, with tons of little problems, i just wish they didnt rush it to get more people to next gen.
  • Nintendo: Virtua Boy

Microsoft: Only 1 good game at 360 launch

Sony: Still making PS2 games.
  • Nintendo: I might be able to name all the good third-party exclusives for the Wii on one hand. (Not counting the endless minigame collections!!!)
    Sony: I'll go with the headset thing.
    Microsoft: Why are you guys getting cocky again? You have a claimed 30% failure rate!
  • It's easy to say Nintendo's biggest mistake is losing touch with what we refer to as the "hard core" gamer, but is it really? We all think it sucks because it means less quality games we love, but how can you say a decision that is making them billions and selling the most consoles is a mistake? They sure don't think so and their pocketbooks don't either. Also, if it was such a big mistake to go after the casual market, why is Microsoft and Sony trying to get a piece of the same pie now?

I'm with Sunflower thinking that the lack of storage on the Wii is their biggest mistake. The reason I think this is because by not having enough storage, Nintendo is losing out on potential sells. Is it easier to not buy a virtual console game or go out, buy a storage car, make room and then buy the game? If you want people to spend money, make it easy for them. And it doesn't make the situation better when Nintendo keeps saying "manage your space better". Who knew making an external USB hard drive for the Wii would be so hard.

Without going into any detail I think Microsoft's biggest mistake intended or not was their shotty hardware. So many people, whether they had a 360 or not know the things break a lot. I can't think of any other product I have in my house that breaks as much. I know as a gamer there are times I'm sitting there hoping my 360 won't red ring and I shouldn't have to think about anything other than playing the game.

Sony's mistake...anything and everything to do with their online gaming experience. And it doesn't ever seem to get better. Home sounded all great to start with and then the details start to come out about how it is limited because of region locks and what not. Again, I should be having fun online with any and all of my friends.
  • Nintendo- The biggest problem this company has had... ever since the beginning is simple. Just one thing... too many add-ons and peripherals. From ROB the robot to the plastic bracket somehow considered a "gun"... Nintendo really seems to nickle and dime us to death. If you go out and buy a PS3 and every possible thing for it... you will spend less money than buying a Wii and everything for it.... and I mean everything. Their latest blunder is with the 1:1 motion attatchment. That was something that should have been developed before the console ever released. But hey, if you can release a console... get good sales... and make money later... who cares, right?

Microsoft - This is both a good and bad thing. The online community. It's good in the sense that the worst thing about the company isn't related to their games or console, but it sucks that there is so much trouble else-where. If I had children, I'd be damned if they ever had a 360. But other than that... they are good for just about everything.

Sony- Its also hard to pick out Sony's big problem. But when I think about it, I guess it boils down to they put more development into their hardware and not enough into their sofware. What I mean by this is litterally it seems like they are trying too hard to make the phisical console able to handle more tehcnology than they can produce. And for what? They need take some of that focus off their console and into the actual games. I think this, though, is a problem that will correct its self in the future... which the points I brought up about Microsoft and Nintendo, it's probably never going to change.
  • kill3r15 said:

While I agree that Sony should drop the PS2, most of the games are also coming out for Wii, and the only exclusive I know of that's coming up is Persona 4. They're still putting out games because people are still buying them.
  • kill3r15 said:
    Nintendo: Virtua Boy

Microsoft: Only 1 good game at 360 launch

I agree.

Microsoft: 3 games,
    Gears 2, RB2, GHWT.
  • Nintendo - Concentrating much too much on their casual audience while neglecting their hardcore audience far too much. Having three to four "hardcore games" a year does not cut it in this day and age. While I'm psyched for MadWorld, I'm kind of starting to lose hope in what was once one of my favorite game corporations.

Sony - Not too many exclusives, I mean I guess they really don't have much control over these types of things, but there was a lack of good exclusive games early on in launch. It has sort of given them a reputation. But this looks to change this year.

Microsoft - I agree with kill3r15, lack of launch titles during the 360 launch. But other than that, they seem pretty solid.
  • SpitShine said:
    Sony - Not too many exclusives, I mean I guess they really don't have much control over these types of things, but there was a lack of good exclusive games early on in launch. It has sort of given them a reputation. But this looks to change this year.

I totally disagree - Sony has a TON of control over exclusives. They no longer court them like M$ does, or like Sony did in the past, and it's biting them in the ass. I totally believe it is their fault.
  • nintendo: making the wii's graphics suck
    microsoft: achievements. whatever happened to playing a game for FUN?
    sony: releasing the ps3
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    nintendo: making the wii's graphics suck
    microsoft: achievements. whatever happened to playing a game for FUN?
    sony: releasing the ps3

LOL I agree with sony. The next console I buy will not be a nintendo console next gen if they keep making shit peripherals and not games all the time. Next console I will buy will be the xbox 720 or whatever the hell it will be named.
  • Nintendo: What mistake? They're making gobs of money. They're doing everything they should be doing as a corporation. They're the clear leader this generation and will trounce their competition for the next 5 years. You'll easily see PS2 numbers by the time this generation is done.

Microsoft: The hardware problem is definitely the mostly costly mistake, but it may have been the side effect of launching as early as they did, which _definitely_ helped them this generation. Not figuring out how to conquer Japan will be their biggest mistake, looking out years from now. No console manufacturer ever "won" if they didn't also win Japan. It's pretty much the law.

Sony: Failure to launch Home this year will hurt them pretty bad, but I think their biggest mistake is letting go of their key exclusives, namely FFXIII and GTA4. Sure, they couldn't really pay for exclusivity like before, but losing those exclusives is going to hurt them, a _lot_. There will be no repeat performance of the PS2.

Great homework Sun.

Yw
  • Nintendo - Even though they are raking in the dough, abandoning the hardcore gamer. Why? Aiwata (sp?) stated in an interview that before the release of the Wii he was worried about the future of Nintendo and his job. Nintendo had been facing a decline in market, partly due to people just growing up. This saved Nintendo basically, but what happens when the parents get over the fad? What will happen when these casual gamers move to the next fad if Nintendo doesn't supply it? Sure the Wii will continue to print money, but when the time comes when the parents move on Nintendo has already abandoned the fall back plan.

MS - I would say the RROD but that really didn't hurt them that much. I would say their controlling nature. Bungie had announcement they thought was big news for E3. MS pulled the plug and now they bicker like teenage scorned lovers. The spat has spilled into PAX as instantly the guys at Bungie wanted to announce it there, on there home turf. Potentially this could lead to a very ugly exchange that costs everyone involved, including you. We lose the fan appreciation at PAX, Bungie loses the soptlight and potential $$, and MS loses out at a potential insider bond with Bungie once they fulfill their contract. Ultimately, MS will take their ball and leave when push comes to shove, ruining it for everyone.

Sony - Lack of 3rd party support. PS3 is lacking games because they don't help anyone produce them. It's not like Nintendo where they make the best games, because that is all nintendo does. They don't make Stereo's, TV's and other electronics and Sony does. nintendo can afford to ignore developers because all the money they allocate can goto the software. Sony can't do the same thing when they have yet to make a profit in there gameing sector while having to budget for multiple departments. So until they find a way to give better support, expect the shelves to be empty until Sony can bring out some polished games.
  • quahgg said:
    Sony - Lack of 3rd party support. PS3 is lacking games because they don't help anyone produce them. It's not like Nintendo where they make the best games, because that is all nintendo does. They don't make Stereo's, TV's and other electronics and Sony does. nintendo can afford to ignore developers because all the money they allocate can goto the software. Sony can't do the same thing when they have yet to make a profit in there gameing sector while having to budget for multiple departments. So until they find a way to give better support, expect the shelves to be empty until Sony can bring out some polished games.

Sony has done that before too. BetaMax was an amazing waste that mainly failed due to Sony's own doing. It would have happened again (maybe) in the HD-DVD/BlueRay race if Toshiba hadn't pulled out sooner. Sony won this time.

Edit for Clarification:
    Sony has a tendancy to do it's own thing, like compete with JVC over Video Cassettes, HD-DVD/Blue Ray, etc. In this case of gaming, they won out, but because of their lack of willingness, their console's growth has yet to really take off (in my opinion at least).

As for me, being a frustrated Wii owner and former 360 owner;

Nintendo - Too many garbage games and a poor online system. There are also TOO MANY 3rd PARTY Products. When was the last time you saw a Nintendo-brand internet adapter (whether wireless dongle or usb lan adapter) in the stores? The dongle is dead and the entirety of the internet market is ruled by 3rd-rate garbage products. Another thing about the internet; the Friend Code system is trash. I miss my very easy and useable XBL account.

Microsoft - Too many shooters and multiplayer based games. I beat Halo3 on Heroic while very drunk with a friend in 6 hours. In this generation, all games, including games that contain multiplayer, should have more than 6 hours of story game play. There are just too many generic multiplayer shooters, despite good sales. Bioshock is a good example of change, but there arent many games like that yet, and even that one wasn't perfect.

Sony - I agree with the making of PS2 games being stupid. It's time to move on. It will also push many non-PS3 owners to convert in order to stay within the bounds of their beloved Sony. The only thing keeping me from getting a PS3 now...the COST. PS3 is easily the least-seen console for people like myself (college students). We can't afford to blow at least $500 on a console, an extra controller, and a few games. Sony is being unmerciful in this area and the price is hurting its popularity.
  • Nintendo's biggest mistake has been just generally being a cocky deuchbag. They are becoming fat on their own success. Oh how quickly they forget the faithful that bought the little purple cube. They don't need us now, they've got grandmas and soccer moms. Nintendo is treating their fans like an abusive father treats his child. When we ask for more storage space, Nintendo slaps us and tells us to clean up our filthy cluttered little closet we call storage space and to be thankful for what we have. We ask Nintendo to use some of their money to make us some games. Nintendo beats us with a collection of minigames.

Microsoft, meanwhile is the child molesting step-father. He offers you every game you'd ever want. He offers this sweet candy called xbox live. Then he sweetens the deal with Netflix streaming movies. Then he says, oh but you have to give me something in return for all this, its not free (that's silver, its what the creepy microsoft gives to the unattractive kids). So you give him the allowance money your mom gave you (which he spends on his other family). Then he takes you into that dark place called live and shows you multiple penises and teachest you every dirty word and racial slur you can think of. Microsofts biggest mistake is thinking those of us who don't want to pay for gold are too unattractive to at least be worth fondling a little... Fondle me Microsoft!!

Sony is like the guy your mom is cheating on these crummy guys with. He's hot. He's sexy. His dad was rich, famous, and popular. He's young, powerful, sleek. He's also completely full of himslef and thinks he's too good for you and your mom. He dates tons of women, and they all leave him eventually, mostly for your cheating pervert step-dad, microsoft. He thinks, its no big deal. He was too good for those bitches anyways. They'll still come sleep with him occasionally. Ps3 forgot about his dad's lessons. His father and grandfather had to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They had to work for their popularity and fame. PS3 was handed it all on a silver platter, and just like most young men of this variety, PS3 thought the world would love him too. Sony is squandering everything that ps1 and ps2 worked to build. Sony's biggest mistake was thinking people would pay anything for a ps3 and wouldn't care if there weren't even any games for it. Its a blu-ray player too afterall... Letting FFXIII and GTA4 go stopped me personally from buying a ps3.

So the choice is yours kids. Who do you give your love to? Your drunk abusive father wii, your pervert step-father Xbox 360, or your mom's new sexy, self-indulgent bodyfriend Playstation3.

Apparently I'm a masochist because I let Nintendo beat me and I like it. Hurt me more, Nintendo!
  • Nintendo: I think their lack of aggresssive online implementation along with a lack of harddrive means one thing; losing the hardcore gamer. While right now they are making gobs of cash off the expanded, casual market, they have to remember that the core gamer will always be there. They don't buy games for fads or to be popular, they buy them because they love to, and you can't lose that market.

Microsoft: Two things come to mind here: the RRoD and the lack of successful marketing in Japan. I'll go with the former, which served as a frustration to hundreds of thousands of owners and cost Microsoft millions of dollars in repairs. The fact that they released a system with such a high failure rate is dissapointing.

PS3: Failure to lock down big third party exclusives. The Xbox 360 has totally beat them in this regard, hell, more JRPG's have been released for the 360 then the PS3. This, combined with the stupidly high original price tag hurts them. Still, even with the price tag, if they had more games they could sell more, but more and more developers are jumping off the exclusivity bandwagon, especially as the PS3 continues to struggle. Sony needs to do a better job courting these guys.
  • Sunflower4000 said:

Nintendo: No storage solution, thinking 512mb was 'enough' with a Virtual Console + WiiWare. A lot of people probably think friend codes are their big mistake, but you have to look outside of the box to see.

Nintendo is messing up all over the place...they focus on third party games that are for the most part pretty shitty, The actual Nintendo games that are made are amazing but way way to far apart from each other, and looking at release dates im not seeing a whole lot of great games to be looking forward to!
    Another thing that bugs the crap out of me with Nintendo...where are the actual Nintendo brand accessory's? there all third party knock offs that usually don't work as well as Nintendo ones would.
    Im not sure what they were thinking with the 512 mb...i mean they knew that 360 had gb's over them.
    The whole friend code thing to play with each other is pretty lame too. there will always be ways to get random peoples friend codes and its not like there is speech on most of the games played over the wii network. the friend code thing just adds another step and makes it harder to game with other wii owning friends!
    Don't get me wrong i love Nintendo to death, hell i slept outside of bestbuy the night before launch just so i was sure i would get my hands on one because it was going to be a whole new gaming experience, but right now after what 2 years of it being out i am left pretty disappointed and looking at old ps2 games to play and PC games
  • Sony: Well this is easy sony are trying to hard. Yes M.A.G will no doubt be good but when you look around at what the others are doing with the 360 on generic shooter 26 and the nintendo wondering why can't games look as good as the Dreamcast etc. But sony seem to think if we don't give they wont buy. Come on M.A.G Resistance 2 Killzone 2 and the secret game are all shooters but they all are different Mag is massive Resistance has 2 story lines Killzone 2 the A.I.

Microsoft: Biggest mistake was to fear sony yes sony's black machine can out power and preform the 360 but you allways had the feeling that the 360 was rushed causing MASSIVE failure rates

Nintendo; No mistakes for this one as Yuzo and Tobin once said nintendo didn't want a small piece of pie they want a new bigger pie. But they have lost some hardcore fanboys with the annoucements or lack of any at E3 and over time without the ahrdcore gamers sales will drop.
  • I think the subject title explains itself for sony xD.

Another thing with sony is genji 2.. : Set in real japanese history.. Giant enemy crab... Weak point for massive damage? Yeh.. good one. (I know this isnt really sony and it is more the creators of the game but i had to.. lol)

Microsoft: WHY IS THERE NOTHING IN THE ENGLISH MARKETPLACE.. compared to the others.

Nintendo : Nice release date on brawl guys.. And what happened to games??
  • man can everyone feel the ps3 hate lol

just to point it out ps3 and 360 are about equal in quality(except the whole 360 breaking thing)
  • Sony: Assuming that their incredible market position with the PS2 would allow them to take liberties when launching the PS3. The pricing, the lack of rumble and the failure to implement the things that Microsoft had gotten right a year previously meant that Sony lost a lot of mind-share with the core demographic, which may have something to do with the state of their exclusive titles. Contrary to what other people have said, I actually think Sony readopting the PS2 as a third pillar at E3 is a very smart move, as the huge install base and potential appeal to the casual market due to the low price could be very useful.

Microsoft: Releasing the 360 a bit too early. Sure, the year's head-start meant they got a good lead over Sony, but it was also probably responsible for the hardware problems they've been having. Their returns policy has done what was possible to reduce the impact of this, but even if future hardware variants fix the problem people will always see the 360 as the machine that will melt from the inside. Think about it, without the RROD there's virtually nothing to complain about with the 360.

Nintendo: As Yuzo said, what mistake? Just because they aren't supporting us as much as they have in the past doesn't mean it's a mistake. Despite what people may say, I don't think Nintendo will let the Wii become a fad that will fade away in a year or so. They'll keep presenting people with new reasons to buy a Wii and once they've gotten all the mileage they can out of it, they'll come up with something else. The chances on them suddenly being abandoned by the new market they've created are pretty slim. Plus, if that really happened, can you see hardcore gamers staying mad at Nintendo once a new Mario game comes out?

If you want a mistake by Nintendo, I think you need to go back to the late '90s when they decided not to use the new CD technology and stuck with cartridges. This made N64 games expensive to develop for and buy, and resulted in a large loss in third party support, which contributed to the Gamecube's miserable performance. They've managed to make lemonade out of those lemons now by switching their focus, but at the time it wasn't a smart way of competing with the Playstation.
  • I'll make this short and to the point.

Nintendo - After I play Mario and Zelda what then? I'm afraid my love for Nintendo lived and died with the SNES.

Microsoft - As a non online gamer, there are times where I can only scratch my head and wonder why anyone would put up with the RROD. Live worth it? Exclusive games worth it? Maybe for you, but not for me, and because of its failure rate, picking up this console on the decline isn't an option for me. Cons out weigh the pros on this one.

Sony - Should have stuck with what came out of the gate. 60gig with full backwards compatibility. Not allowing a smooth transition over to the next generation is their biggest flaw.
  • Taeryn said:
    Nintendo's biggest mistake has been just generally being a cocky deuchbag. They are becoming fat on their own success. Oh how quickly they forget the faithful that bought the little purple cube. They don't need us now, they've got grandmas and soccer moms. Nintendo is treating their fans like an abusive father treats his child. When we ask for more storage space, Nintendo slaps us and tells us to clean up our filthy cluttered little closet we call storage space and to be thankful for what we have. We ask Nintendo to use some of their money to make us some games. Nintendo beats us with a collection of minigames.

Microsoft, meanwhile is the child molesting step-father. He offers you every game you'd ever want. He offers this sweet candy called xbox live. Then he sweetens the deal with Netflix streaming movies. Then he says, oh but you have to give me something in return for all this, its not free (that's silver, its what the creepy microsoft gives to the unattractive kids). So you give him the allowance money your mom gave you (which he spends on his other family). Then he takes you into that dark place called live and shows you multiple penises and teachest you every dirty word and racial slur you can think of. Microsofts biggest mistake is thinking those of us who don't want to pay for gold are too unattractive to at least be worth fondling a little... Fondle me Microsoft!!

Sony is like the guy your mom is cheating on these crummy guys with. He's hot. He's sexy. His dad was rich, famous, and popular. He's young, powerful, sleek. He's also completely full of himslef and thinks he's too good for you and your mom. He dates tons of women, and they all leave him eventually, mostly for your cheating pervert step-dad, microsoft. He thinks, its no big deal. He was too good for those bitches anyways. They'll still come sleep with him occasionally. Ps3 forgot about his dad's lessons. His father and grandfather had to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They had to work for their popularity and fame. PS3 was handed it all on a silver platter, and just like most young men of this variety, PS3 thought the world would love him too. Sony is squandering everything that ps1 and ps2 worked to build. Sony's biggest mistake was thinking people would pay anything for a ps3 and wouldn't care if there weren't even any games for it. Its a blu-ray player too afterall... Letting FFXIII and GTA4 go stopped me personally from buying a ps3.

So the choice is yours kids. Who do you give your love to? Your drunk abusive father wii, your pervert step-father Xbox 360, or your mom's new sexy, self-indulgent bodyfriend Playstation3.

Apparently I'm a masochist because I let Nintendo beat me and I like it. Hurt me more, Nintendo!

that was equally disturbing and insightful, and probably the best post here(pretty much summed up everything i was going to post, minus the sexual fuckary). Noobie for you, you creepy bastard.
  • nintendo: deciding to go the easy way, and mooch off little kids and families, and disregarding quality hardcore games.

Sony: They have almost about 2 years now under their belts as a console (the PS3), but imo they dont have enough good exclusive games, I think they could of got gta4, and obviously final fantasy now.. Plus, in the very beginning, I think the price totally turned off a lot of people, as with enough products, I think during launch they needed a couple strong exclusives, a price where their fans can oblige to, and enough ps3s to go around.

Microsoft: While they dominate the online console market, and they have lots of exclusives and quality hard-core games, the failure rates of 360's are just atrocious. I mean, disc trays, rrod, etc...

Good thing MS gave rrod victims a warrantly, or god knows where they'd be right now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week