Deepest DS game?
  • After spending an ungodly amount of time with The World Ends With You, and feeling like it had a very deep experience as far as completionists go, what other games are out there for the DS that have a comparable experience with finishing a game? Obviously, the DS is intended for quick play, but TWEWY ended up holding its own, and getting played again and again, in order for me to grab EVERYTHING. Does anyone else have any suggestions? It appears that Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is going to deliver, but I'm not 100% sure.

So help me out, and you'll help out your friends too, by sharing what DS games you felt had deep gameplay experiences. :)
  • Professor Layton was pretty deep for me, and I can't say enough good things about Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.

I'd even venture to say that Etrian Odyssey was "deep", but really only for wannabe cartographers with OCD.

Yw
  • Have you tried Hotel Dusk? I wouldn't consider it deep in terms of gameplay but definitely looks to be engaging on an emotional level through the story, from what I have seen of it.

Maybe I should pick TWEWY back up if you rate it so highly, I played till the end of the first game/week and although I enjoyed it, I felt it was becoming super repetitive.

I'd even venture to say that Etrian Odyssey was "deep", but really only for wannabe cartographers with OCD.

The first time I played EO, I sat grinding for an hour and a half or so, I asked myself why the hell I found it so enjoyable >_>...I'm still yet to find the answer.
  • From what I've played of Tactics A2, it's alot more complex than I thought it was. Over 400 missions and I dunno how many jobs yet, but it's a shitload.

EO2 is like it's predessor but alot more painless with the quicksave feature and a bunch of little things they added to make the game more polished and easier to play.
  • All this talk of deep DS games makes me finally want to get one...I still think that Advanced Wars is one deep game if you want it to be. That being said, I haven't played all that much DS but I think the Advance Wars gets overlooked as being quite simple.
    I am curious to try TWEWY and see what it is all about because the dual screen fighting sounds amazing.
  • Locke said:
    All this talk of deep DS games makes me finally want to get one...I still think that Advanced Wars is one deep game if you want it to be. That being said, I haven't played all that much DS but I think the Advance Wars gets overlooked as being quite simple.
    I am curious to try TWEWY and see what it is all about because the dual screen fighting sounds amazing.

Advance Wars is definitely a really deep series in that you have to be really good at adapting to different scenarios, and that means building your army differently. If you want to be efficient at it you have to be good at building an effective, non-counterable force pretty quickly or your opponent can react easily and your battles get long and drawn-out. That said I think strategy-wise Days of Ruin is more in-depth than Dual Strike, just because almost any strategy can work in Dual Strike if you're good at managing team CO powers.

Then again I'm not sure that the depth Sunflower is intending is only combat-depth though, but more of an overall complexity and how many different factors there are to playing the game/completing it 100%. In that sense I might have to say that Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team DS had quite a bit of depth and longevity to it, especially since the Battle Network games more or less pride themselves on how much there is to do after you complete the main storyline. The storyline itself was pretty weak but the mission system (which were the main battles in the story itself, where you got to move your team around a grid and advancing to the boss and using skills strategically to eliminate enemy mini-bosses and enemy squares) and you got to have two of your partners travel around with you as you played the game normally. Overall if you can withstand the crappy storyline and kiddy-feeling nature of the game, it's a really deep experience that's fun to get absorbed into when you try perfecting your battle chip folder.
  • the only problem i have with realy deep DS games is that at a stage they always make somthing that you have to unlock through multiplayer. now i'm the nly one in my group who has completed TWEWY legitametly (the other guys an R4 whore but thats another story) and my other friend is on like day 3.
    so pretty much i would give a ds game more credit if you could complete it by yourself with only one cartridge and DS. Even if it's the long way around personaly i think its better than creating an imovable block in the path of progression.
  • The Ace Attorney series were epic and extremely deep in my opinion, if you have the patience to sit through the text, then I highly recommend you do so.
  • I recently got my hands on Final Fantasy CC: Ring on Fates : Turbo Championship edtion: The new challengers And it (And it's name) are pretty deep.

Also, the TWEWY ending made me want to blow my load.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week