Retro Gaming Club: Resident Evil 4

New RGC title up! For the next couple of weeks we'll be doing Resident Evil 4! It's available on quite a few platforms (PC/PS2/GC) so pick one that you own and go to town. RE4 is said to be quite influential on a number of games that came out this year and last, so keep an eye out for game mechanics and concepts that you see in games released recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4
  • I just bought the pc version i have got to say if you liked resident evil 4 before dont get the pc version somehow on conversion from ps2 and gamecube to pc its just been ruined. But i'll still play it to have input on the retro gaming title.
  • the gamecube version is the best in my opinion. i bought a gamecube just for this game. not really a true resi game but without a doubt a classic
  • Damn, I was gonna go grab the PC version. Nutta, what are the main issues with the PC version that you don't like about it? I was hoping I could finally use my 360 controller on my PC and use it to play..

I guess I'll go on the lookout for the GC version so I can play it on my Wii, and finally crack open the classic controller I bought months ago :)

Yw
  • This is the most fucking amazing game for the gamecube. It's difficulty and graphics (for gamecube) are amazing and balanced. Throughout the game you see so much suprises and new challenges await you beyond every corner. I still wonder why you didn't nominate this for a RGC before now.
    :D :D :D :D :D
  • yuzo said:
    Damn, I was gonna go grab the PC version. Nutta, what are the main issues with the PC version that you don't like about it? I was hoping I could finally use my 360 controller on my PC and use it to play..

I guess I'll go on the lookout for the GC version so I can play it on my Wii, and finally crack open the classic controller I bought months ago :)

Yw

You can't play cube games with the Classic controller. That's why there's 4 Cube controller ports on the Wii.

My advice is to pick up a Wavebird with a copy of RE4.
  • nutta27 said:
    I just bought the pc version i have got to say if you liked resident evil 4 before dont get the pc version somehow on conversion from ps2 and gamecube to pc its just been ruined. But i'll still play it to have input on the retro gaming title.

Gotta second that, bought one a couple days ago and afterwards I found out that you cannot use a mouse for aiming?? Though, there's a possibility of using a mod to make the aiming work, didn't work for me but try it for yourselves:

http://mouseaim.net.tc/

Cheers,
    Diego
  • I beat that game with a 93% but to be honest it was my 7th time going thru it with the chicago typewriter
    and it was on normal so... ya :oops: :oops:
  • Really fun game, I've beaten it about 5 times on normal (3 was with the infinite weapons :P) and twice on pro. Pro can be a real pain sometimes but still a lot of fun trying to conserve your ammo (knife slash knife slash knife slash....KICK!) lol.

I also did the Seperate Ways missions, they were alright, really hard with her taking so much damage though. The things I can't seem to get pass is the mercenaries mode and the Assignment Ada Missions (yea I have it on PS2, not Gamecube)

So maybe I'll retry those and learn how to not die by the crazy chainsaw guy lol.
  • silverbullet1080 said:
    You can't play cube games with the Classic controller. That's why there's 4 Cube controller ports on the Wii.

Aw man, you serious? Jesus, I should ebay my unopened classic controller then.

Guess I'll pick up a Wavebird too -- maybe I'll hit Fry's this weekend.

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=silverbullet1080]You can't play cube games with the Classic controller. That's why there's 4 Cube controller ports on the Wii.

Guess I'll pick up a Wavebird too -- maybe I'll hit Fry's this weekend.

Yw[/quote]
    yeah that pretty much sucks, anyways i've played the crapp out of this game so i don't have it with me and im not spending more money on it until they realese it for wii, then i'll spend the money, i thing we are getting it in may yuuuupiii at least im taking the dust out of my wiiiii
  • im playing on pro ive beat the game about 7 times on normal and i cant get past the second krauser fight where you have to collect the 3 things he always kills me lol not much time to push the dogde buttons,each kick from krauser takes off 3 bars, and each hit from his arm takes off maybe 4-5 bars of your health
  • booboo said:
    im playing on pro ive beat the game about 7 times on normal and i cant get past the second krauser fight where you have to collect the 3 things he always kills me lol not much time to push the dogde buttons,each kick from krauser takes off 3 bars, and each hit from his arm takes off maybe 4-5 bars of your health

use your knife or magnum, thats what i did, it took me a few tries too :) i tried using a rocket launcher be4 but i can never get it to 1 hit kill him ever lol. But i hear knife is what you are 'supposed' to use on him *shrug*
  • Hey guys, let's go get RE4 on the PC to see what it's like using the mouse.

OH WAIT, IT SEEMS TO BE A DOS GAME WITH LACK OF MOUSELOOK.
  • I can't wait until RE4 comes out on Wii :)
  • Damn, I was gonna go grab the PC version. Nutta, what are the main issues with the PC version that you don't like about it? I was hoping I could finally use my 360 controller on my PC and use it to play..

I don't know it just doesn't feel right the movement is fooked up (i am using the 360 controller) also the right and left trigger buttons don't work with this game for some reason so you have to use the bumpers to equip your gun or knife. It is a shabby port of the ps2 version.
  • yuzo said:

Yw

the only way i would buy your classic controller is if you open it and personally autograph it
    just make sure you leave a link
    P.S. Im willing to go up to $50 for that
    PP.S $80 if tobin also autographs it :wink:
  • is there no mercinary mode in the gc one?
    if not then ill get the ps2 version
  • G-ihuahua said:
    is there no mercinary mode in the gc one?

YES! im not sure whats the differnce between the GC and PS2 version
  • NPCBOT2000 said:
    [quote=G-ihuahua]is there no mercinary mode in the gc one?

YES! im not sure whats the differnce between the GC and PS2 version[/quote]

The PS2 version has more pointless crap and slower framerate
  • the ps2 version has the extra bit where u play as that woman (cant remember her name) i think
  • I've never played this game before, so I thought I'd be a good candidate for the RGC idea of seeing if the games still stand up today. I haven't had much time recently so I've only got about an hour in, but so far I am very impressed. I'll keep posting as I get further.

First impressions are that this is probably the best looking game on the GC. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Rogue Squadron 2, and that was a launch game. It really goes to show how few developers were able to truly unlock the power of the 'cube. Factor 5 showed us what it could do, and then no one else followed. As was typical for the console, there was loads of potential but very little support. How awesome would online MKDD have been?

Anyway, moving back on topic, the gameplay is a bit odd. It works, and is fun to play, but at the same time it feels as though the controls were deliberately made different from the norm to add to the tense atmosphere. It's like in a horror movie, when a character is exploring somewhere and the camera is right in front of them, showing only their face. If a monster jumps out, the audience gets scared because they couldn't see where the character was going and what they could see. Rather than the content providing the excitement, it's the restrictions placed by the director. Not being able to strafe means that something that would be easy in a third-person shooter, going round a corner, is now full of risk.

This isn't really a criticism though. The scares are part of the experience, and being able to slide round corners and instantly shoot enemies would spoil that. It's a bit like with Halo. Playing with twin sticks rather than mouse and keyboard is a restriction which changes the nature of the game, providing a different experience, which is part of the game design. I've played both the Xbox and PC Halos and it works so much better on the Xbox. That was the way it was intended to be played. RE4 is another example of a seemingly restricted framework being used to make the game better.
  • kenkaze said:
    [quote=NPCBOT2000][quote=G-ihuahua]is there no mercinary mode in the gc one?

YES! im not sure whats the differnce between the GC and PS2 version[/quote]

The PS2 version has more pointless crap and slower framerate[/quote]

And less polygons and textures.
  • And is harder to control.
  • I have it on PS2, I haven't found any problems with it. I guess since it's harder to control I'm master of the Resident Evil 4 cause I can beat it on Playstation 2 :P But seriously, I find the controls very easy to use.
  • I was mainly thinking about the R2 button in comparison to the R trigger on the GC version. It's more comfortable, hence easier.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week