Designer: Koji Igarashi
    Genre: 2D Sidescrolling Platform Action Adventure
    Release Dates
    JP: 03/20/1997
    US: 10/02/1997
    EU: 11/01/1997
    XBLA: 03/21/2007
    Rating: Teen (T)

This is Castlevania's: SOTN 10 year anniversary and it's the new hot game on XBLA. This is the first real "Metroidvania" of the castlevania series, and Igarashi-san did an amazing job incorporating the open ended gameplay and RPG elements into the series.

This game also has the best soundtrack of any of the Castlevania series, and actually, out of most games ever made IMHO. I have one of the tracks as my ringtone :)

Wikipedia excerpt

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a 2D action-adventure game developed and published by Konami in 1997. Its Japanese title is Akumajō Dracula X: Gekka no Yasōkyoku (悪魔城ドラキュラX月下の夜想, Akumajō Dorakyura Ekkusu: Gekka no Yasōkyoku?, lit. "Demon Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight"). It is the 13th installment of the Castlevania series, the first installment released for the PlayStation and is a direct sequel to Japanese exclusive Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo for the NEC PC-Engine CD.

Watch the 50 minute speed run through the entire game!

Edit the noobtoob wiki for this game

Check out the IRON GAMER CHALLENGE wiki page for this game.

More Info:
    Wikipedia
  • I usually have high hopes for games (worms to name one) where I say I am going to buy it and then don't after DL'ing it. So I am going to say something different this time. I am excited about getting the demo and feel I will be more likely to sink money into this for 2 reasons.

1) ALOT of people say this is the ONE Castlevania game you have to play, and I remember a roommate of mine that was obsessed over it.

2) I haven't played it, so it might actually hold my attention more than the demo can supply.

So if all goes well, my itching to spend some money will be met with a good game. I just hope the downgrading or devolving factor doesn't ruin it for me.
  • Nice to have it on the 360, but goddamn, did it get harder? I usually would breeze through Slogra and Gaibon but I...died?! What? I never die! And I usually perfect Dracula in the beginning! What has happened to my skill? Is it just me?
  • I wonder if this is out yet. I'm gonna go check after I finish posting on here. I've heard so much about it.

Edit: Guess so, if sunflower is already playing it. :)
  • How did I manage to miss this? I just got to get home and download it asap, gonna be awesome since I am kind of in a gaming wasteland at the moment. :)
  • Do it up! Let's have a mini-iron gamer challenge for it :) I say this because I snagged 200.6% in the old PS1 version, of course ;p
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    Do it up! Let's have a mini-iron gamer challenge for it :) I say this because I snagged 200.6% in the old PS1 version, of course ;p

All for that, it wouldl make me buy it :D
  • This game set the mark for all the others Castlevanias and alot of games too. Im definitely getting this and down for the Iron Gamer too.
  • Cool deal, someone make up an Iron Gamer Challenge thread for it and set up the wiki..

(I figure the more we empower you guys to do these sorts of things, the more they'll happen) :)

Yw
  • been playing it loads recently but man it hard! I never played the origanel so i dont know if it was different but i like it so far. going to take a break from it now for awhile seeing as my long awaited PS3 is arriving in the morning
  • Woo IRON GAMER CHALLENGE! I went ahead and changed this topic to be the Iron Gamer Challenge, since there's no use in having two threads for it. I'll be grabbing this tonight and checking it out. And maybe taking an early lead. :)

Here's the wiki page:

http://www.noobtoob.com/wiki/Castlevania_SOTN_Battle

Anyone got any points yet?
  • tobin said:
    Woo IRON GAMER CHALLENGE!

Anyone got any points yet?

I got 5... lol. The rampage one within 5 minutes of playing it. I did play this game, but my roommate drowned me with enthusiasm and I was on my Perfect Dark kick. I think at that time I had 100 hours and was catching my friend in couple marks (accuracy, kills). Damn my pigheaded self, this game is awesome. And for 800 points? Steal. TMNT was 800 points of mind numbing cow shit. This has merit, but maybe because it's my first time through.
  • Taking the lead with 25gp, Weapon Master, Demon Slayer, Rampage. Not the hardest ones exactly.

I'm at the Alucard clone, get totally trashed every time I try him. Might backtrack to get better stuff and more levels.
  • as soon as i get to my 360 im up for the challenge
  • Oh SNAP. Diabloslayer just got beat out by Willytheman. The competition at the top is fierce.
  • lol i might get my 360 tommorow obviously i have to pick up some microsoft points and get this i have never played a Castlevania so i'm gonna get OWNED last place FTW
  • There are like at least three XBLA games I'd hit up before Castlevania, unless you really like Castlevania games or want one with an actual plot. You should try demos before you get ANY of these games.

Anyway...

1) Geometry Wars - Must have for any 360. Don't get any other XBLA game before this.

2) Marble Blast Ultra - Great marble madness type game. Only gripe is that it doesn't last that long, so you might want to check if they've lowered the price before you get it. (Was 800.)

3) Worms - It's fucking Worms, man.

Oh, and obviously New Rally-X.
  • How do I enter the Iron Gamer thingie? Can I just edit the wiki and add myself?

// Wastegate
  • WasteGate said:
    How do I enter the Iron Gamer thingie? Can I just edit the wiki and add myself?

// Wastegate

Yeah. Just take the text from the other competitors, and change it to match you.
  • yah i got it back
  • I`ll join in on the iron gamer fun somewhere this week as well for some hardcore ass kicking , Dutch style 8)
  • it's over, i won it days ago.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week