I own a PSP
  • I just listened to episode 13 of your podcast and you asked who all had a PSP. I own one. Darn things a paper weight at the moment. I play Stars Wars Battlefront 2 on it. Thats about it. Medievil sometimes as well. I just like the series. Anyway, just my two cents
  • The PSP is pretty much useless for gaming (unless you put homebrew stuff like NES,SNES,N64,PS1, or Genesis emulators on it). I have to admit that it is useful for watching videos and listening to music (But I'd still rather carry around an i-pod). There are only a few good games on it like Lumines,Loco Roco, and Medievil
  • Yeah, I'm pretty close to selling mine since I stopped using it for movies once I got an ipod video. Might use the money for a PC upgrade when Vista ships.. :)

Is there any reason at all to hang onto it this year? I can't think of a single game I'm uber excited about.
  • yuzo said:
    Yeah, I'm pretty close to selling mine since I stopped using it for movies once I got an ipod video. Might use the money for a PC upgrade when Vista ships.. :)

Is there any reason at all to hang onto it this year? I can't think of a single game I'm uber excited about.

Sell it to meeeee! Buy second hand consoles? Hell no! Buy a second hand console from Yuzo? ... Mmm... Yuzo doesn't seem like a dirty person and its not like the psp will be uber used/scratched or smell.

I use my psp daily because i don't have an ipod or anything. Its fine for day in school use. Plus I'm into anime, so it makes a great portable anime viewer.

Mine is currently at 3.0. I chose to upgrade from 1.5 because homebrew, seriously, not interesting. Atari emulators? Fuck off. GBA emulator at 10 frames a second? I've got a DS. Buying games is fine, support the developers. Plus 1.5 can't interact with a PS3. But now that 3.03OE came out from the homebrew community, which is essentially all the official stuff up to 3.00 PLUS the ability to play videos at the full 480x272 consoles... Argh, I want a 3.03OE. T_T Otherwise, I'm hoping that the next official firmware patch will allow full res 480x272 videos. Its fucking stupid how its capped and makes you stretch it.
  • ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:)
  • tobin said:
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you got time to sleep then you have time to beat my super-awesome 5 point higher then yours point total in Lost planet :twisted:

Yuzo said:

Uh yeah , FF7 Crisis core ? Check out the subbed trailer on Youtube , looks awesome.
    Also there are a few other Square games coming out on the PSP .
    Top picks are as follows

- Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
    - Sega`s Crazi Taxi : Fare wars
    - Burnout Dominator
    - Capcom Puzzle World
    - Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventures
    - Rocky Balboa wich looks like SNES mike Tyson punch out in gameplay .

Most of the above games are coming out between February and march with the exception of the Square games .

So yeah - Good line up to me man .

At any rate . I have a (J) PSP ever since day 1 of the Japanese launch .
    I have been very happy with it , I have spend alot of evening and night shifts @ the office playing with it finishing games left and right .
    Lately I have shifted to another job , whilst IT i have regular desk hours and am not able to really play it here at my leisure like I was used too .
    But I am still liking it especially with all the options I have at my disposal being able to use homebrew.
    Now the choice of buying a console , be it handheld or regular rests upon one thing .
    The games .
    If there arent many / any games on said console that you enjoy , you shouldnt buy it no matter how advanced it is.
    So offcourse there are people who arent liking the games on the PSP and in general Sony could do a whole lot better by beating Nintendo at their own game : wich is easy accesible, addictive 2D games.
    Why ? The PSP dishes out better and faster 2D graphics then even the DS can do .
    Sorry DS fanboys thats a fact, go and play Guilty Gear , Street fighter, Super Robot wars or any other cross platform title on the DS and compare it to the PSP version . Its just not even funny how ugly DS sprites are .

Sony focuses too much on giving you actual console experience on the handheld wich is their wrong doing.
    I do like how Kojima solved that in Portable Ops by giving the best of both worlds i.e full on 3D but with bit-sized 5 minute missions for on the go use.
    If you look at all the popular games in general on the PSP are classic ported titles and titles such as Lumines.
    Sony needs to focus on this and everything will work out for the better.

Having said that . I myself do like a whole range of PSP games for a few examples :
    Metal Gear Acid 1&2 / Lumines 1&2 / Ridge Racers / Super Robot Wars / GGX / SF Zero 3
    Gitaroo Man / Maverick Hunter X / Liberty City / Armored Core / Portable Ops / Loco Roco

And those are the more PSP specific games . Besides that I absolutly love the retro packs Like Gradius , Twinbee , Metal Slug and Parodius collections and not to mention remakes of Classics like Megaman , Ghouls n Ghoblins and what not in wich they actually improved on the original in every way
    including gameplay .

For me ? DS has no value cause it has no games that I am interested in .
    O.K , just one game actually and i`m still "meh" on that since the sprites are ugh compared to what i am used to seeing now . And that is Rockman ZX .

The ability to use homebrew to play SNES , Genesis and GBA emulators is perfect.
    I really love alot of oldschool games that are - PERFECT - to play on the go .
    Who doesnt remember giant mech shootouts in Assault Suits VAlken on the SNES , better known as Cybernator
    in the US . Or hilarious Bomberman matches , Super Mario World , The Zelda GBA games And now there is full on PSX emulation . Fuck yeah I been playing Raystorm and Einhander the last two weeks at the office and its been a blast . Thsoe games still hold up against time.
    All in all , if the PSP was a device that could just emulate , much like the GPX2 from gamepark I would
    have still bought it .

But that is my opinion on it and I see that the rest on Noobtoob dont share it . Fine , your choice i respect it.
    But dont complain that you got RSI for using that tiny Stylus :P

Sloth said:
    Mmm... Yuzo doesn't seem like a dirty person

Are you sure ? Have you been watching the videocasts ? :P

Sloth said:
    Mine is currently at 3.0. I chose to upgrade from 1.5 because homebrew, seriously, not interesting. Atari emulators? Fuck off. GBA emulator at 10 frames a second? I've got a DS. Buying games is fine... etc etc

Dude , GBA and SNES emulation has been perfected since last summer .
    You can now run anything up to a PSX at 60 fps , that also includes CPS1,2 and NeoGeo CD , hell you can even use Wi-Fi with emulators for multiplayer action .
    Why didnt you use Devhook ? With Devhook you can emulate a higher firmware version then you actually have on your PSP`s flashrom , thus using the features of said higher firmware but stil keep the 1.5 for homebrew AND for the purpose of selling the PSP at a higher price then it`s worth second hand.

Also do realise . That whilst it is fine to buy games . And i DO buy games that are worth it . There is still merit in having a game`s iso file .
    Why ? LOADING TIMES . Ever played SRW on the PSP ? No ? Well trust me . You will see alot of loading going on .
    The game is super-awesome and to my liknig but the loading really makes that strat game take 4 times longer then it should .
    ISO loading it from your memorystick suddenly give you near-instant loading times .

And that alone is a very good reason to still have homebrew ability AND buying games .
  • Gwenster, you're awesome. <3<br />
    When I upgraded, SNES was good but GBA was still slow. I really don't understand why people buy consoles to play old stuff. o_o; I have a PSP. I want PSP games. When I have the time, I want to kill as many as I can. Its the same with the Wii VC. I'd rather nintendo go put their vc division to something useful rather than churning out old, old games.

I dunno why I didn't use devhook though. The only homebrew I had on my PSP was... SNES with a 2d plane shooting game. Er... Can't remember anything else. The game was called Sonic Wings. Only released in japan. When I was little, I would dodge something by 1 pixel. Awesome game. Booted it up once on my psp for the novelty of it.

The load times in valkyrie profile ugh. Going from screen to your menu meant a two second lag. I'd probably save battery life by dumping the games too? But yeah, when I upgraded I only had ridge racer, wipeout and i think lumines. The loading times weren't an issue and I only had a 1gb stick.

What I wanna do with my psp is make it that OE firmware. Dump my games into a 8gb stick, so I don't need to carry around my precious UMDs/more portable and put 480x272 res anime~

I think the main reason that made me upgrade again was the web browser. I actually use that a few times a week in bed before I sleep. Still do.
  • And the worlds longest post award goes to...
    i have a DS and a PSP. I play the ds most i don't know why but my psp has become very good at collecting dust.
  • all i have at the moment is a psp but i think its pretty cool,ok not many ggreat games but fire team bravo on wi-fi is good craic,at the moment pro evolution 6 is glued into the game slot ive played the master leauge up to the first devsion and sit on topof the table 10 points in the clear with 6 games to go,i as getting a ps3 in march but after listening to llaurel and hardy here im gettin a 360 before the weekend
  • blakfingernail said:
    getting a ps3 in march but after listening to llaurel and hardy here im gettin a 360 before the weekend

...!

Omg, noobtoob needs to be stopped.
  • Sloth said:
    [quote=blakfingernail]getting a ps3 in march but after listening to llaurel and hardy here im gettin a 360 before the weekend

...!

Omg, noobtoob needs to be stopped.[/quote]

Don't try to resist the 360 tide, you will be crushed beneath our ACHIEVEMENT POINTS OF DOOM.
  • I like some PSP games but I find anything with a lot of fast action seems to make me kinda sick and it is hard to play. They say the screen is all great and everything but too me it seems to have a bit of a slow refresh isssue and this makes action kind of blurry and BAD for me. I like luminaries and some of the homebrew and GTA is okay since it allows you to use the bootloader but many other games are just BLEAH!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week