Listener Homework: What games should be cross platform?
  • Specifically on the new Games for Windows Live, which games do you want to see cross platform so that PC's and 360's can play together? As it is now, Halo 2, a launch title for GFW Live, isn't going to be cross platform, and it's doubtful Halo 3 will be. But Shadowrun will be the first one to go, and sources say it's going to be quite a lot of fun (but look like ass).

Yw
  • You know... Imagine the logitech mx revolution mouse or greater ontop of a 360 controller. ... =)

"Ooooh, you PC players think you're so leet. Well, name one thing you can do that I can't do as good."
    "Turning around."

B-itch!

I dunno. Cross platforming is still so weird and foreign to me. How do you make one game work on the keyboard/mouse and gamepad without compromising one? D=

I'd like to see racing sims cross platform. Sim fans usually have a wheel anyways, so its all good. Couple that with voice chat, a big community and you have one happy sloth. (forzaaaa. *wank wank wank*)

I think RPGs would work out alright. Harvest moon online cross platforms would be alright. o_O
  • id like to see css but pc woudl win hands down.

i think games like the teken series would be interesting to have cross platform and be able to take on someone who using a keyboard
    extreme micro vs small buttons close configuration ad console micro lol
    yeh i think that it is a great step in the future
    ]
    any game done in this waywill be different and exciting
  • I'll just simply say all of them :lol:
  • kenkaze said:
    I'll just simply say all of them :lol:

Second that. As long as you have the option to choose if you want to play console-PC, console-console or PC-PC, I don’t mind it at all. A lot of people I know don't have 360s, if I could play against them PC-console, I would.

I can see how racing, flight and sports would work well.
  • I just read an article regarding the fact that many game developers and publishers are making their products cross platform. Simply because pirate-software is so common these days and as a result they have to make more games cross-platform as a result of this.
    The president of ID games has admitted that "piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform" and "Piracy has pushed id as being multiplatform,"
    Well this clearly states that some of the multiplatforming is a direct result of lack of sales because of piracy, which clearly is a negative thing.

"Comments made by Epic's Capps carried a similar tone. "PC gaming is really falling apart," he revealed. "It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house."

- This is probably also why we are experiencing less activity on the pc-platform, stuff to think about right?

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079
  • Ronzar said:
    I just read an article regarding the fact that many game developers and publishers are making their products cross platform. Simply because pirate-software is so common these days and as a result they have to make more games cross-platform as a result of this.
    The president of ID games has admitted that "piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform" and "Piracy has pushed id as being multiplatform,"
    Well this clearly states that some of the multiplatforming is a direct result of lack of sales because of piracy, which clearly is a negative thing.

"Comments made by Epic's Capps carried a similar tone. "PC gaming is really falling apart," he revealed. "It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house."

- This is probably also why we are experiencing less activity on the pc-platform, stuff to think about right?

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079

We're talking about cross-platform online interactivity, not multi-platform games. You're on the wrong subject, dude.
  • Yeah, I am aware of what the topic is about, but if the reason why they have begun to make cross-platform interactivity is because they have lack of sales and therefore needs to expand their player base in order to at least have players on stable servers is caused because of piracy then it's a point that you have to consider.
    I am aware of what the discussion is about but I still haven’t understood all the reasons why they want to make cross-platform gaming completely yet.
    I am just trying to add another side to the discussion :)
  • UT3 Has gotta be cross platform only problem i have is that the pc guys will annihilate the 360 guys on all fps games that are cross platform unless Microsoft bring out a keyboard and mouse.
  • nutta27 said:
    UT3 Has gotta be cross platform only problem i have is that the pc guys will annihilate the 360 guys on all fps games that are cross platform unless Microsoft bring out a keyboard and mouse.

Well, from what people are saying, you'll be able to use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 when playing UT3:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gamespy/ps3-ut3-supports-keyboard-mouse-sixaxis-243125.php

Veeeeery interesting. The 360 has usb ports, I have no clue why it can't work there too as long as developers put in support for it.

Also, some folks came out with a weird mouse/keyboard combo for the PS3 a few days ago.. searching for a link.

Yw
  • If you're using a mouse and a keyboard on your PS3, and playing against people on the PC, why wouldn't you just use your damn PC? :)

I for one am looking forward to some xbox live style 2-d platformers done PC multiplayer. And stuff like Little Big Planet, none of that would give an advantage to either format, but they'd be fun to play against non-console folk.
  • hnmmm any PS3 game exclusive, should become cross platform for the 360 :D
  • Seriously i can not think of any game that will work really well cross platform especially between pc's and consoles because of the difference in how the game is played. But maybe like an online 2d shooter like contra or that ijji game Gunster but with more advancements and rpg like aspects of leveling your character. I would play that game if it came out.
  • tobin said:
    If you're using a mouse and a keyboard on your PS3, and playing against people on the PC, why wouldn't you just use your damn PC? :)

I for one am looking forward to some xbox live style 2-d platformers done PC multiplayer. And stuff like Little Big Planet, none of that would give an advantage to either format, but they'd be fun to play against non-console folk.

Because if your comp sucks downright and effectivly need to buy a new one to play UT 3 a PS3 would be cheaper then a new high-end gaming rig and doubles as a PC with Linux ?
    To play UT 3 on the PC you`d need : Dualcore , 2 GB ram , 8800 GTS , and a better then onboard card if you wanna use UT`s always awesome surround soundage .
    -sure- you could lower the settings on UT 3 and be break even with the PS3 as terms of price but then your not comparing the same eye-candy output .
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=nutta27]UT3 Has gotta be cross platform only problem i have is that the pc guys will annihilate the 360 guys on all fps games that are cross platform unless Microsoft bring out a keyboard and mouse.

Well, from what people are saying, you'll be able to use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 when playing UT3:
    Veeeeery interesting. The 360 has usb ports, I have no clue why it can't work there too as long as developers put in support for it.
    [/quote]

Yep , old news Epic anounced that some time ago that you`ll be able to plug in USB keyboard/mice .
    The support isnt universal tough , as I dont think you can play Resistance : fall of man with a keyboard/mice .
    So the developer has to put in the support for it .

Historicly speaking , M$ likes to create it`s own peripherals and tries to maintain some sort of hold over it.
    You cant buy anythign wireless from a third party on the Xbox 360 as of yet still .
    And most of the accesories that you would get for your 360 are first party i.e microsoft anyway .

PS2`s iteration of UT had mouse and keyboard support and that was a pretty early game for the console at the time.
    Yet , the later Xbox Unreal championship 1 and even that second instalment didnt support USB mouse + keyboard .

I`m geussing is that Microsoft cant justify making a console specific keyboard / mouse combo and sell it purely on their console platform and also wont allow you to just prick in any USB based peripheral either because of either monopoly reasons or not wanting to garentee that every keyboard on the planet will work with it and offcourse
    prevent possible stupid user questions on their support lines
    " My keyboard has a LCD screen for my stats but they dont show up on the xbox games ! "

Speaking of FPS control inputs , check this thing out comign for the PS3 in April .

Could be interesting . Tough I`d wait and see to actually try one out .

Like i already pointed out a few times I am really liking Sony`s way of doing things .
    Putting more freedom of choice in the users hands .
    Not happy anymore with our 60 GB drive ? Fine put your own in it .
    Want to play using keyboard and mosue ? Sure you can with some games , just pick your own set and plug it in !"
    Want to play your favorite racegame with your favorite steer you already have from your PC race sims ?
    Sure , just plug it in and have a go ;) Etc. Etc. And I`m not getting that same love regarding that from Microsoft .

As to what games I would love to see cross-platform would be fighting games .
    The reason why is simply cause the PC lacks any suchs games ! And that would be a good market to start out with .
  • Is it just me or are consoles slowly turning into pcs :P
  • Sel said:
    Is it just me or are consoles slowly turning into pcs :P

You're right. And I LOVE it.
  • Sel said:
    Is it just me or are consoles slowly turning into pcs :P

Kinda... They are getting more powerful like PC's as companies realize graphics are ooey gooey goodness. However they can't be upgraded like a PC and probably won't ever get like that. (no money in that) Also, you don't have to install a damn thing or keep a damn 24-48 digit code to prove you bought it (Thank God).

X-platform games? MMO's for shizzle! Every Rpg should have cross compatability with co-op. And um... Action Games both Co-op and versus.
  • but then again in some respects consoles are starting to whip pc a$$ in what was previously thought PC centric activities !

folding@home being the best e.g. so far.
    here I have been running it on my dual core laptop for 3 days, and still waiting for my work unit to finish xD

Just amazing how well all those PS3 chips are working together ! was thinking to myself... damn, if I had one, I would get my name higher in the list !

All that they now need is a benchmark for consoles .... yeah it would only work once, but it would be good competion for the pc guys to try and beat. The only reason why I like benchmarks so much, cause normally those are the only apps that come out roughly the same time as the hardware to show what they can do, cause games normally only support features +- a couple of years later
  • quahgg said:
    [quote=Sel]Is it just me or are consoles slowly turning into pcs :P

Kinda... They are getting more powerful like PC's as companies realize graphics are ooey gooey goodness. However they can't be upgraded like a PC and probably won't ever get like that. (no money in that) Also, you don't have to install a damn thing or keep a damn 24-48 digit code to prove you bought it (Thank God).

X-platform games? MMO's for shizzle! Every Rpg should have cross compatability with co-op. And um... Action Games both Co-op and versus.[/quote]

How can you say that consoles can't be upgraded, even though they're hundreds of dollars you can buy upgraded hard drives and stuff like that.
  • I would like to see guitar hero. That game is so addicting and I only own a computer, so I would like to see alot of games ported.
  • jacobjacobs2 said:
    I would like to see guitar hero. That game is so addicting and I only own a computer, so I would like to see alot of games ported.

You know you can port those games with emulators... :? :lol:
  • i very much doubt you will beable to get the guitar to work on a pc tho dude and i have not seen a working ps2 emulator as of yet.
  • Charon said:
    [quote=kenkaze]I'll just simply say all of them :lol:

Second that. As long as you have the option to choose if you want to play console-PC, console-console or PC-PC, I don’t mind it at all. A lot of people I know don't have 360s, if I could play against them PC-console, I would.

I can see how racing, flight and sports would work well.[/quote]
    yes i agree also WASD FTW :)
  • I want DDR to work, that would be great!
  • ATheiss said:
    I want DDR to work, that would be great!

http://www.stepmania.com/

I set up a Stepmania machine at work using PS2 -> USB converters. It's badass.

Yw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week