Noobtoob Modcast Episode 4 - Feel the Velvet, Baby
  • We're back! Recorded on 2/11/08, your weekly dose of the Noobtoob Modcast, consisting of Jam Enslaver, Locke, and Sunflower4000, discusses:

Devil May Cry 4
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    more Burnout Paradise
    Uncharted
    Everyday Shooter
    and much, much more

Locke is coming from a long steel tube, as evidenced by his echo. He's actually at the far end of the cave in which we record, yelling.

We also have a new segment--Name That Game - Post your answer to the question in this thread for a noobie award! If you're first, that is...Remember! One guess per person. First to answer correctly wins at least one noobie! :)

We also cover a handful of news, mention Twisted Metal for PS3, answer Mailbag questions, and much, much more. Feedback is very much appreciated, we take all comments into consideration and love the feedback. Keep the mailbag questions coming in the mailbag thread, we love answering them. Happy gaming!

Also, if you are wanting to subscribe to us via iTunes, click the Advanced option on the toolbar in iTunes, and then click on Subscribe to Podcast. Then, for the url, point it to http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoobtoobModcast - Enjoy, everyone!

Direct Download Link:
    http://noobtoobfiles.com/modcast/NooBTooB%20Modcast%20Episode%20004.mp3

Cheap Ass Gamer Iraq-troops donation link:
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/cags-donate-games-to-the-troops-in-iraq-campaign.php
  • I know this has been and is going to be a weekly thing but is it going to be a set day each week or whenever you guys can get together?
  • FleshFlake said:
    I know this has been and is going to be a weekly thing but is it going to be a set day each week or whenever you guys can get together?

We have been recording on Saturday. We hit a delay...Locke's flight out to the underground bunker where we record was delayed. He really was delayed on a plane, or this would have come at you on Sunday.
  • Haha, you're going to rent lair? I remember when I first said that I would rent that game you started making fun of me : ( . Haha it's fine, but awesome episode guys!
  • Lol I so agree with Sunflower, I also hated Alyx (fucking always in the goddamn way) Vance and I too shot her many times in the face hoping she would die! :twisted:
  • Oh and I think I have the answer to your name that game, is it Star Wars: Rogue Squadron?
  • kdmpurdue425 said:
    Oh and I think I have the answer to your name that game, is it Star Wars: Rogue Squadron?

You are the winner! We'll pick a tougher one next time...so make sure you prepare.
  • We also realize the echo is still present - will work it out for next week.
    (sorry smokestormX the voices are still in your head)
    Remember to rate on itunes!
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=kdmpurdue425]Oh and I think I have the answer to your name that game, is it Star Wars: Rogue Squadron?

You are the winner! We'll pick a tougher one next time...so make sure you prepare.[/quote]

Fuck! I haven't even heard the question yet & it's already answered?

booo
  • Erock, you shoulda listened the second it was released. First come first serve. ;)

We'll be trying harder for tougher questions next time. :D
  • This is my first one and so far I'm really enjoying it. I'm only about half way through, so I still have much more. I really enjoy the discussions that have been going on.
  • So, I was speaking to Locke earlier and I said the show doesn't really need anymore criticism, but I was infact wrong - As much as I enjoy the modcast, I think it's just a bit too long, I think it's longer than the actual NooBTooB podcast, which seems a bit strange in my opinion.

Aside from my bitching, I had a blast listening to this week's episode, I think the game-donations to the Soldiers in Iraq is a really good idea, I can imagine how boring it would get there when your just sat around doing nothing, and things like this are really awesome.

You guys talk about the amount of space PS3 games take up on your HDD to install, games like DMC4 and Golf (don't remember the name) take 4-5GB - can you imagine future-games? - I think it's just insane, eventually all PS3-owners will run out of space, even the 120GB owners, if all games on the PS3 need to be installed from now on, that's going to completely rape your HDD. I have a PS3, so I have the right to say this without sounding like a total idiotic fanboy, but - Sony, you need to really need to improve things on the PS3.

*Whew*

Thanks for the modcast, keep up the work.
  • keyransolo said:
    So, I was speaking to Locke earlier and I said the show doesn't really need anymore criticism, but I was infact wrong - As much as I enjoy the modcast, I think it's just a bit too long, I think it's longer than the actual NooBTooB podcast, which seems a bit strange in my opinion.

I actually have to disagree with you there Keyransolo. I just finished and I really dig the length. I'm not sure whether it was longer or shorter than the actual NooBTooB podcast, but the longer it is, the better. That of course is just my opinion. I really enjoyed the conversation, the jokes, and well... The entire episode! I can't wait for the next one.

Keep up the great work.
  • I am with Hammercraft here, in that I enjoy the length. Locke (from the west side), Sunflower, and Jam are guys that I could listen to probably as long as they can talk. Their chemistry just keeps growing and they're improving with each episode, just like Tobin and Yuzo. Great work guys, really enjoyed it. Sins sounds cool Jam, Definitely going to check it out.
  • I see you don't have a feed or are on iTunes, I know how to make the appropriate feeds for podcasts and can get you up on the iTunes store.
    if you want to contact me you can pm me or talk to me on skype or on xbox. My skype name and gamer tag is Asteao
  • Asteao said:
    I see you don't have a feed or are on iTunes, I know how to make the appropriate feeds for podcasts and can get you up on the iTunes store.
    if you want to contact me you can pm me or talk to me on skype or on xbox. My skype name and gamer tag is Asteao

We do have a feed, and we are being reviewed for iTunes. We have subscription details in the original post on this thread about how to subscribe to us before we're actually in the store, using iTunes.
  • Thanks for the comments guys. The length of the show is something that we keep in mind when discussing if we should change anything. We use the mailbag as our elastic segment so we can stop more or less when we want to.

For the people who aren't sure whether it's longer than the main podcast, yes, it is. Like, 40 minutes longer. The fact that the huge difference in length isn't that obvious is a good sign; it shows we're not boring you all.

And yeah, as Locke said, we're going to change the way we record back to that which we used in episode 1, as I had to spend 2 hours last night messing around with the audio trying to minimise the echo and sort out some weird lag issues on Locke's voice. Now that Sunflower has a decent microphone there shouldn't be a very noticeable drop in audio quality.
  • Great show again guys. Cheers for answering my question.

The Total War games are awesome by the way and Empire: Total War is a must buy.
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    [quote=kdmpurdue425]Oh and I think I have the answer to your name that game, is it Star Wars: Rogue Squadron?

You are the winner! We'll pick a tougher one next time...so make sure you prepare.[/quote]

wow, that was fast. i was going to guess that, but you beat me to it, kdm. good job.

great episode, mods. its great to have 2 hours of new content in between NooBTooB each week to tide me over, but soon there will be the RetroNoobz entering the fray as well, for even more member content.
  • W00t, Episode 4: Now with more SmokestormX goodness: feel the velvet, baby!

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast, however I do think it might of been on the long side. Normally it's the longer the better for me, but prehaps sometimes you stood on the same topic for a might too long. I don't think you should restrict yourslef to a certain time, prehaps make it content dependant.

Aside from that I loved it (especially the part in which I was mentioned) and I look forward to more. I must go now, dangers afoot.. away!
  • locke needs a better mic
  • Good news, we are now on the iTunes store! We love reviews so write em there too! :D I'm quite pleased to see us up there, just doing a search for Noobtoob will find you us! :D
  • Nice to see you guys answered my question, I'm currently cooking one up now so you guys better hop to it... Oh yeah finally subbed to you guys on iTunes.
  • As the format and structure of your modcasts continue to improve (there was a bit more overlapping of voices in this one, but that may only be a function of how it was recorded), I'm only left to comment on the actual content contained therein. Here, then, are a few of my thoughts on Episode 4:

"Today-ay-ay... Locke considers himself-elf-elf... the luckiest man-an-an... on the face of the earth-earth-earth." I couldn't help it.

Re: Half-Life 2:Episode 1—I agree with Locke that Half-Life 2: Episode 1 would NOT be worth a purchase on its own. Question to the mods: How much would you all pay for it? I would probably pay no more than $10 for that game on its own, but what say you?

Re: Pirates MMO and Names—What moron would name themselves a seemingly random string of letters and numbers? :cry:

Re: Culdsept SAGA—I fold under peer pressure. Like a flan in a cupboard.

Speaking of which, Re: CoD4 New Maps—“Could be anything…”… Jam, were you being Eddie Izzard and no one noticed??! I noticed. And I claim that reference for hp1703 *flag*

Re: CAG games for Troops in Iraq—Sunflower mentioned that the military guys have a lot of downtime, and I know this to be very true. My friend, a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force, taught himself how to do a Rubik’s cube while stationed in Afghanistan… and can now do it, completely scrambled to finish, in about three minutes. That required a lot of practice, so they have a LOT of downtime, for sure.

Re: Par15h’s unappreciated games question—Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem on the Gamecube. Just like how Jam hasn't finished one of his favorite games (mentioned in an earlier episode), I actually haven’t finished Eternal Darkness… but it’s a lovely mind-fuck of a survival horror type-game, perfect for a rainy evening or anytime you’re in a Halloween mood. This game has everything from casting spells and playing as multiple characters in multiple time periods, to convincing you (the gamer) that you’ve already beaten the game when you're only half-way through or telling you that your save file was lost. Brilliant. This game is hard to find, but if you can find it, check it out (I mentioned this to PocketMego a long time ago because I think he’d rather enjoy it, but he doesn’t/didn’t at that time have a Wii or a Gamecube).

Re: Smokstorm’s achievement question—For most games, (not all games, but most) I do read them ahead of time and actually put every achievement into an Excel spreadsheet (nerd!). I get most of my achievements in an anal retentive, structured manner. For a game like Mass Effect, though, I just let the game do the walking and only looked at them after I had finished the game. But for sports games and games I'm not worried about looking at the achievements ruining the plot, I look through them ahead of time and plug away at getting them.

Also, a wonderful and appropriate amount of me in this episode, which I, and everyone on the forums (and now on iTunes), appreciate. You are certainly giving the people what they want. And what a lovely Valentine’s gift for all the ladies. As everyone knows LLHP--Ladies Love HP.

Lastly, Sunflower… um… lookin’ good. Is that a new shirt? Looks great on you. And you’re smart. (How did you mean ‘buttering up’ exactly? Is this it? If not, that's still a nice shirt. Poly-cotton blend?)
  • ultimatecott said:
    Lol I so agree with Sunflower, I also hated Alyx (fucking always in the goddamn way) Vance and I too shot her many times in the face hoping she would die! :twisted:

I was playing Ep 1 and Alyx died a stack of times on me when fighting zombies. Not sure how she did but I looked away for a few seconds and the game is like Alyx died.
  • Vasir said:
    [quote=ultimatecott]Lol I so agree with Sunflower, I also hated Alyx (fucking always in the goddamn way) Vance and I too shot her many times in the face hoping she would die! :twisted:

I was playing Ep 1 and Alyx died a stack of times on me when fighting zombies. Not sure how she did but I looked away for a few seconds and the game is like Alyx died.[/quote]

Yeah in the Australian version of the game Alyx isn't as good a shot. She also has eleven fingers and can't turn left :D Did she really die for you, I thought that wasn't possible.

To answer hp's question, I didn't intend to sound like Eddie Izzard there, but now that you point it out it is quite funny. And damn, why didn't I think of Eternal Darkness. That game is awesome. I really need to do a review of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week