Listener Homework: Dumbest Thing Said in a Store?
  • so i am at a gamestop in Manhattan, and i hear these 2 people and there looking at gears of war and guild wars. And on of em says, what is guild wars? it looks like a rip off of gears of war...sad part is, they weren't joking. Then i hear the same 2 people ask, out loud, which is better Bioshock or fracture.....
  • Game crazy in Beaverton Oregon.... This one is a great store but at the same time not that bright.

    Strife and I go into the store back in February and see on the shelf Tabula Rasa on the shelf for sale. We let them know that you can download the game for free on the Internet and that the server for it is being shut down at the end of the month. They say ok I will let my manager know. A few weeks later we go back in and it is still on the shelf and so we let them know again (and at this point the server was shut down) that the server was shut down. They say ok we will take it off the shelf... A few more weeks and we are back in the store again and the game is still on the shelf so I ask the person that I talked to before why the game was still on the shelf and she said, "my manager will not let us take it down even though you can no longer play the game because we have not got the okay to do so from the corp offices". Last time I was in the store (about a month ago now) it was still on the shelf.
  • The year the xbox 360 was released, I was going store to store with one of my mates about 2 weeks before Christmas as he decided he wanted one (I had mine already). Conversation went as followed in the majority of game stores:

    Mike (Friend): Have you got any xbox 360's?

    Staff: HAHAHAHA!!!
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    Game crazy in Beaverton Oregon.... This one is a great store but at the same time not that bright.

    Strife and I go into the store back in February and see on the shelf Tabula Rasa on the shelf for sale. We let them know that you can download the game for free on the Internet and that the server for it is being shut down at the end of the month. They say ok I will let my manager know. A few weeks later we go back in and it is still on the shelf and so we let them know again (and at this point the server was shut down) that the server was shut down. They say ok we will take it off the shelf... A few more weeks and we are back in the store again and the game is still on the shelf so I ask the person that I talked to before why the game was still on the shelf and she said, "my manager will not let us take it down even though you can no longer play the game because we have not got the okay to do so from the corp offices". Last time I was in the store (about a month ago now) it was still on the shelf.


    At least your Game Crazy has PC games. I actually don't trust any gaming place. I went to one of my Game Crazy stores and was going to trade in my 360 for a new one as it was under the warranty but they said they needed my 360 and the HD and I said "All my stuff is on the HD can't I just give you the new 360's HD?" He said no so I said screw that I'm going to another Game Crazy. So I went to another shop and they let me keep my HD I just have a feeling the guy that works at the other place hates me.

    This is about the Game Stops around here (Las Vegas, NV) me and my friend pranked phone called all the GS stores one time in our state (don't ask we were bored as hell). Every call always asked for the same game (Chromhounds) and GS policy says that all of their stores use the same prices because it is set by their upper ups. So it turns out out of 10 or so calls 8 of them had different prices. So before you buy a game at GS you may want to call all your near by stores to see which will give you the best price.
  • OH GOD.
    I used to work at Game Crazy for Hollywood Video and we got some of the most ANNOYING people.

    It's not necessarily what they would SAY that pissed me off.
    It's more how LOUD they'd say it.

    It's like everyone that came into the store had to challenge each other's "gamer knowledge" -- name dropping oldschool games, pointing out overused words like "graphics", interrupting conversations between me and my customers to impart some of their "wisdom" & insist that they knew EVERYTHING there was to know about a certain game, and that THEY should be working there instead of me.

    OH MY GOD.

    And the GIRLS sometimes?!
    I understand you're a chick and you play videogames. Okay, okay. Say it once, that's fine.
    But when you come into my store and start screaming loudly about how this game rules and this one doesn't and blah-blah-blah -- STOP TALKING YOU ATTENTION-WHORE!!

    *headdesk*


    Going into a videogame store, for me, is like going into a bookstore.
    It's not like it needs to be COMPLETELY silent or anything, but I don't need to hear you loudly discussing every single aspect of every videogame.

    I mean, I guess it's fine if you're chatting it up with a friend, but come on.
    Six-inch voices, people.

    SIX.
    INCH.
    VOICES.

    Let the other customers (and the employees) enjoy their game-shopping experience as well! You don't have to be a videogame elitist to hang at a videogame store!

    Other examples of similar situations:
    * That one annoying guy in the theater that either laughs too loud, speaks at inappropriate times, or didn't turn off his cellphone
    * Drunk beezie or fool at a bar that's WAY too plastered to function in public, making an ass out of herself/himself by loudly announcing their inebriation and assuming that everyone is on his/her "level" of drunkenness.
    * You get the idea.

    I'm all for going all out and to the extra mile, but there is definitely something to be said for the unsung hero rather than the bragging idiot.
  • I asked for condoms at a variety store...
  • heycheri said:
    OH GOD.
    I used to work at Game Crazy for Hollywood Video and we got some of the most ANNOYING people.

    It's not necessarily what they would SAY that pissed me off.
    It's more how LOUD they'd say it.

    It's like everyone that came into the store had to challenge each other's "gamer knowledge" -- name dropping oldschool games, pointing out overused words like "graphics", interrupting conversations between me and my customers to impart some of their "wisdom" & insist that they knew EVERYTHING there was to know about a certain game, and that THEY should be working there instead of me.


    I feel you when I go to pick up my games I just go in pick it up and leave not spend 20 talking to the dude that works there and wasting peoples time. I much rather have a guy like Walter in the store (The puppet guy from Jeff Dunham) just sit there and say "Get your shit and get out!" I also hate the workers who just wanna sit and talk to you I mean come on I just want to pick up and go not spend 20 min talking to you about a game I just picked up and haven't even played yet.
  • FearTheLiving said:
    I feel you when I go to pick up my games I just go in pick it up and leave not spend 20 talking to the dude that works there and wasting peoples time. I much rather have a guy like Walter in the store (The puppet guy from Jeff Dunham) just sit there and say "Get your shit and get out!" I also hate the workers who just wanna sit and talk to you I mean come on I just want to pick up and go not spend 20 min talking to you about a game I just picked up and haven't even played yet.


    Lol Yes... Walter is awesome.

    I like talking to the employees.. Some of them are pretty cool. I've spent hours in the stores just talking and playing games... but 90% of them are complete morons. I've posted a good amount of my stories all around noobtoob so I won't repeat myself but come on... I'm a budget gamer who hates a lot of the main stream games (Gears of War is ass.. Yeah, I said it.) and even I'm smarter then they are... The 360 Arcade Can Not do all the things a Pro can do. The best game for the Wii is not whatever they have on the shelf for full price, The PS3 dose not play both Blueray and HDDVD, Legendary is not a better shooter then Bioshock, Half Life 2 should not cost $35 when you can get The Orange Box for $20, Tebula Rasa is DEAD and GONE, You don't need to buy the speical Guitar Hero Microsoft Point cards to get Guitar Hero DLC, You don't spend Microsoft points to pay for your gold subscription, and There is no possible way to play Halo 3 on your Sony Wii. (the last one I heared from someone else... I thought it was funny and needed something good to end my rant with)
  • When I was working at plaid pantry, this 1 legged Russian guy came in and asked me if we had cigarettes. apparently the 1000+ packs of cigarettes sitting behind me wasn't enough of a clue.
  • One time I was at a Gay-mstop, And I saw a customer trying to choose between Twilight Princess and Super Monkey Ball. The conversation went like this:

    Customer: Super Monkey Ball looks fun. What's that Zelda game like?
    Clerk: It's a shooter.
    :shock:
  • Once, I was at game... Looking at games, suddently some guy my age, looking all gangster (My age as in 14 or 15) comes in and says to an emplyee
    '' Hey I'm looking for a really awesome shooting game... If you can find anything whit zombies, that would be awesome''
    The emplyee looked at him in a wierd way, but said
    ''Yeah sure, we have some cool shooters over here''
    *Picks up Left 4 Dead and hands it over to the kid''
    The kid studies the backside of the cover for a while, then he looks over at the employee and says
    '' There is zombies in this game right''
    The employee looked at me whit a frustrated face... And I almost laughed my ass off xD

    Now if you don't know what the backside of the L4D cover is... It has '' CAN YOU SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE'' clearly written on it.

    And also, anytime I see a mother buy her 9 year old son a copy of WoW... I part of me dies D:
  • i was in game stop and some mom came to me and asked "is dead space a scary game because i want to get it for my son,he does not like scary games" then i reply"no that game is not scary at all"(sarcasticly). she goes and gets it for her son as i die of laughter inside :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xboxjunkie99 said:
    i was in game stop and some mom came to me and asked "is dead space a scary game because i want to get it for my son,he does not like scary games" then i reply"no that game is not scary at all"(sarcasticly). she goes and gets it for her son as i die of laughter inside :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yes, that really is the dumbest thing you could hear in a store, your own stupidity. I would agree as well, that IS a stupid thing to hear. I mean, it's not as if her son could have heart problems or anything.
  • the thing is though, i said it really sarcasticly and if you look at the case it would be obvious that it was scary, although you are right, i should have thought it through better then what i did but still. they did not make esrb and warnings in the game for nothing.
  • Well think about it in her case. She just wasted 60 dollars, you could have at least corrected yourself when she was getting in line, made up a lie like you mixed it up with another game or something if you couldn't face her saying you were kidding.
  • xboxjunkie99 said:
    the thing is though, i said it really sarcasticly and if you look at the case it would be obvious that it was scary, although you are right, i should have thought it through better then what i did but still. they did not make esrb and warnings in the game for nothing.


    That was her own stupidity. When people don't research things then they spend money on things they don't want. The game is called Dead Space after all... Which means your going to see things Dead, the dark loneliness of outer Space, or a combination of the two. Neither of those sound like the new Mario Party.
  • I was in gamestop and these people next to me were going through all the ps2 games and I over heard them talking and someone said "SEE I TOLD YOU THIS GAME (FFX-2) WAS GOOD! ITS A GREATEST HIT!..."

    Doesn't seem that stupid but come on, what kind of popular ps2 game WASN'T called a greatest hit and even so most of them "greatest hits" weren't even that good. FFX-2 was a good game though.

    Other then that I haven't had much luck with idiots in game stores.
  • I went to go buy Call Of Duty 4 and this is how it went ;)

    Clerk: Call Of Duty 4? Why don't you buy WaW?
    Me: I didn't like it.
    Clerk: But it has zombies, and you can buy the new map pack now.
    Me:So?
    Clerk: Call Of Duty 4 uses dead mechanics. That's why I recommend WaW
    Me:Cool
  • ha! do i have a story? every time i walk in gamestop someone says something stupid...

    [Where: Gamestop]
    [When: Two days ago]

    Employee: Hi, can I help you?
    Me: Hey, whattup, I need Bioshock.
    Employee: It's a Mature Rated title, how old are you?
    Me (16 years old):19.
    Employee: Do you have ID?
    Me: Nah, sorry I don't have my wallet, arn't I in your computer? (I was going to use my brother name)
    Employee: Actually if I were you I wouldn't waste my money on Bioshock (which was $16.99 lol) because Bioshock 2 is coming out in a couple months. (He totally forgot about getting my ID!! LOL)
    Me: Actually it just got delayed til 2010.
    Employee: Well if you look in our releases book it comes out in Novem..
    Me: No.. it got delayed.. *hands him a 20*

    gamestop really needs to be more strict on who they employ...
  • I don't have many stories, thankfully our local stores employ people that actually are gamers so they're usually just like you and me when it comes to discussing stuff.

    Although I do remember a conversation one of the trainees was having with a customer one day.

    Customer: So would you say this game (Assassin's Creed) was worth the money?
    Clerk: I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from my friends and colleagues.
    Customer: I heard it can get a little repetitive
    Clerk: Oh, well you can expect that with any MMO can't you?
    Me: ........ D:
  • Not funny, but pretty stupid. I went to a local Burger King and this is how my lovely situation went. Let's love this shit!
    --
    Me: I'd like the whopper meal, with fries please.
    Clerk: Do you want fries with that?
    Me: Yes...
    Clerk: Ok, so one whopper meal, no fries.
    Me: I said I wanted fries.
    --
    Lame ass shit. Not funny at all but ah well.
  • "When is the new Lost in Blue coming out?"

    ... ;C
  • Manio said:

    Me: I'd like the whopper meal, with fries please.
    Clerk: Do you want fries with that?
    Me: Yes...
    Clerk: Ok, so one whopper meal, no fries.
    Me: I said I wanted fries.


    This reminds me of a time I was at Burger King

    Me- Can I get a number 3
    Clerk- Wit Chz?
    me- a double stack.
    Clerk- Wit Chz?
    Me- a number 3
    Clerk- Wit Chz?
    Me- umm...no?
    Clerk- ok that will be $4.95
    *After I get my meal and look at the receipt.
    Double Stack Combo
    Frys
    Soft Drink
    Wit Chz- No
    Total-$4.95

    Me- Oh.. she ment "With Cheese". God damn it. She can't speak English so she just sounds out an abbreviated version of the word. I thought she was saying "which Is". Stupid people.
  • That is epic. I wanna hear somebody say Wit Chz now :(
  • Well here's my contributions;

    Contribution 1
    One time when I was browsing threw Gamestation I saw a man with a copy of Halo in his hand approach a clerk and ask him can this game can be played on a Playstation 2. :shock:

    Contribution 2
    I had return a game I just brought back to the store because I discovered the disc to be cracked. The clerks behind the counter told me that the crack wasn't a problem since the disc doesn't move in the disc drive instead the laser spins around, and I replied to this "either your idiots or you think you can take me for a idiot but I tell you this, I make electronics for a living and it's the disc that's spins not the laser." And guess what they were idiots since they still stand against their conviction that it's the laser that spins not the disc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week