Listener Homework: Dumbest Thing Said in a Store?
  • This week, we ask for your personal experiences...what's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, by either customer or worker, at a video game store? If you have one of each, and if they're part of the same conversation, extra credit. :)

I have a recent one.

Customer - "Man I love that Assassaineneds Crid, all I ever played with my 360 was Poker. I had no idea there was a game I could play where I can kill people!"

Or another one in that same visit...

Worker - "The PS3 can play both HD-DVD discs and Blu Ray, and is the most popular system in video game history."
    Soccer Mom - "Okay I'll get three then, if you're sure it's that popular."

I guess an idiot tax applies to her. ;)

Share your stories!
  • This happened in my local game store which is brilliantly called GAME.
    I went into pick up a copy of zone of the enders 2 which i knew was out already and ran into the stupidest game store employee of all time.

Me: hi! i want a copy of ZOE2 please, i cant see it on the shelf.
    Asshat: A copy of what?
    Me: ZOE2, ya know Zone of the Enders? the new one?
    Asshat: ummm ok, what console it on?
    Me: Ps2
    Asshat: ok let me check...........................no thats not out yet.
    Me: :shock:
    Asshat: ya i cant see it on my release schedule, try agian in a few months and it might be out closer to the end of the year.

At this point i left the store, walked to a different shop literraly 10 yards down the road and picked up a brand new copy, Was so tempted to go back to the shop and get the guy in shit :evil:

The worst customer i ever saw was a women that was ahead of me in a queue and bought 3 DS lite's for christmas, Not too bad seeing as they were presents but it was when she said that she would take 3 copies of each of the 4 games she was buying just so she didnt have to tell her kids to share! dropped almost a thousand euro in total just out of parental laziness,
  • I don't go much beyond the comfortable confines of my darkened room, so I don't have many examples of people being particularly stupid in games stores. On a recent visit to GAME I heard a couple of teenagers having a conversation along the following lines:

Moron 1: Oh man, FIFA 2003. That is a game, man
    Moron 2: Ah but FIFA 2001, now that's a game.

I was so tempted to turn round and say "That's probably because they're basically the same fucking game!"
  • Hahaha, great stuff. This is an awesome listeners homework. I'm sure there will be a lot of great lines.

I pretty much try to ignore everything that is said in that store, cause they are usually idiots, but one time....
    > Worker - Man, I've been playing Two Worlds this week. It's so much fun. Way better than Oblivion
    > Me (in my head) - OK then dude. You have fun with that.
    So I paid for Bioshock and left without saying anything.
  • i remeber on the 23 of like december there was this guy at BEST BUY and this guy wanted to buy his son an xbox elite and he said he just wants the elite and i was thinking why don't you buy him the premium hes not going to be any dissapointed he got a fucking 360 and save that extra 200 or whatever it costs and buy him some fucking games to play with that shit or even online some other shit so he has more games and the lady was like we ran out and she was saying to go somewhere else

thats the only time i could think of someone being stupid but if i can think of anything ill let you know
  • Oh how I wish I had a recorder or a diary or something that could account for all the pointless drivel that comes out of people's mouths at video game stores. I know that there is something dumber - but this is the first one that came to my head. Think of this as my 1st draft paper for the homework.
    Here is a conversation that I heard last week between two customers (early 20's, males) and one employee (Late teens/early 20's, female)
    Customer 1: "So I just got my xbox 360 and I want to get the best game to play" (I'm using the exact words here)
    Employee: "Well that depends on what kind of games you like. So what do you like to play"
    Customer 1: "I like shooting things for sure"
    Customer 2: "Yeah dude, killing and blowing stuff up is dope!"
    Employee: "Alright, well if you come over here and take a look at this game it is really fun and has lots of shooting"
    *points out Call of Duty 3
    Customer 1: "Awesome, this looks wicked - I'll take it"
    Customer 2: "$40 bucks - what a steal!"
    *Customer 1 pays for the game, meanwhile a little part of me dies inside
    Employee: "Alright, have a good night"

I couldn't believe it...I really wanted to help those guys, but then again - they were retards and they obviously have been hiding under a rock to not know ANYTHING about the games out for the 360. Heaven forbid they play Bioshock and have to upgrade their character - there brains may explode.
    That leads me to my question/comment: Do you help people who are obviously struggling in the shop while looking for video games? Notable stereotypes come to mind are:
    1) The mother who wants a cheap babysitter - has money, doesn't care how much it is...just as long as it keeps her kid quiet
    2) The "I have no idea about video games, but want to play SOMETHING" customer.
    3) Nerd fanboys who "know everything about anything" and refuse to listen to advice/suggestions about GREAT games
    4) The poor kid who spends his saved up money on a shitty game (usually come in pairs) and get a game based on ridiculously arbitrary characteristics such as box art, or if you can play 2 player, or just wants a game RIGHT NOW.
    Anyways, I don't want to take anyone away from their homework, but I was just curious how other people felt in these situations. I usually like to help parents that have no idea what they are getting into, and let idiots and small children (hopefully) learn from there mistakes.
  • replying to locke's question about helping people

sometimes i really want to help out but i think to my self what if they be like no thanks its ok i'll just get this games or people will think that i am a huge nerd that i know so much stuff about games so i dont reply but now thinking of it next time i hear a rediculous comment about a game i think ill say something to help out the situation so that the customer can enjoy some great piece of art rather than a piece of crap
  • I usually try to get right in and out of GameStop, because whenever I hear a conversation there, whether it be customers, employees, or both, a little part of me dies inside.
  • i saw a mother buy her duaghter a ds and every version of nintendogs. not a conversation but still made me die inside. also i saw a bunch of people pretty much circle jerking over skate i mean dont get me wrong its an ok game but there like "its the best game ever" and "i hope they make one every year like they do with tony hawk"
  • Clerk:This is good game points to super monkey ball world
  • One time, my lil bro, my Dad and I went to Gamestop at the mall. Usually, when my Dad goes to the counter to buy the game for my brother, the clerk always says "Are you okay with the mature conten?" He says yes. But THIS time, there was a fat clerk that says "Let me see you ID". My Dad is like 40-ish and he tells him to get his ID. So he goes and THEN the same clerk that allows the mature content is there and ALLOWS IT. So basically my Dad went to his car for his ID for no goddamn reason. Man, that really pissed him off.
  • is this a "you rage, you lose" thread? if so, i lost at the title.
    Kashii said:
    i saw a mother buy her duaghter a ds and every version of nintendogs. not a conversation but still made me die inside. also i saw a bunch of people pretty much circle jerking over skate i mean dont get me wrong its an ok game but there like "its the best game ever" and "i hope they make one every year like they do with tony hawk"
    FUCK YOU BY NO MEANS WAS SKATE "OKAY," IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME
    it was the first NT review i ever saw and to this day it's one of the few NT reviews i disagree with.
    "HURR DURR I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO DO IN THIS PLAYGROUND THEREFORE THE PLAYGROUND SUCKS"
  • Here's a list of stupid questions/comments I've heard in game shops. (I've spent a lot of time in game shops and I always seem to run inot idiots)

Customer: "Do I need an internet connection to play this?" (Pointing to the world of warcarft display with the banner "Best and most popular online game ever")

Clerk: You should get Crysis, it will break your system!" (I quite like my computer so that's not a great selling point)

Clerk ask manager: "Are we going to do Halo 3 preorders?"

Clerk: "Preorder a PS3 man, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be out within 12 months."

Customer: "This doesn't run on my Computer!" (slams game down on counter)
    Clerk "That's because this is a PS2 game sir."

That's just a few, if I remember any other good ones I'll add them later.
  • Weird, I thought I said I liked Skate.. It just didn't have enough depth to warrant a buy for me (I wished I rented it), but the same thing can be said of Burnout Paradise, which is an excellent game.

Anyhow, every visit to Gamestop results in a part of my soul dying. I wish there wasn't one a few blocks from my place -- sometimes I'm just way too damn lazy and get my games there instead of driving a while so as to not give them my business on principle.

I don't have any specifics beyond what I already talked about on the show, but it truly amazes me how uninformed the average employee is over there. It's like they've never heard of the internet or joystiq.

Yw
  • i was at a gamestop and this one guy came in saying
    "Do you have Halo 3 for the PS3?"
    gamestop "Yes, we have that in stock."
  • i went to a microsoft store where they only sell microsoft stuff and i ask to look at a xbox 360 and the dude said "im sorry we only sell microsoft products here" and i say "its by microsoft" he replies "ive been working here for a long time i think i would know, don't you" so i left and went back the next day wen somone else was there and loked at there prices for xbox 360's. :x :x :x
  • I hate it when people think they're better then us gamers. My friend was waiting in line for a wii on the release day and 5 minutes before they were about to open the store a lady walks up. "Can I buy a nintendo wii?" " I'm sorry mam, you would've had to have been in line at least 2 hours ago to get one" Lady:"But my husband needs it more than these snot nosed kids!" That's always the time where you wish you had a shotgun. Thankfully the guy didn't take the 20$ bribe that was offered and said she should've been in line waiting.

Also whenever someone sells a past gen console for 15$ at eb games ect. I die a little inside.
  • Once my cousin dragged me to a Madden 07 midnight release at my local Gamestop, this group of nerds crowded around their friend who had just bought the game and drooled over it, one said as the other took it out of the bag, "Don't touch it man, it's HOT!"

Another time I walked up to the counter to get GH3 on release day while I was waiting for a clerk who was ringing up someone else's games, the conversation went like this:

Customer: Do you have Ratchet & Clank Future for preorder?
    Clerk: No, it's not out yet, we only have Ratchet & Clank tools of destruction
    Customer: But it says Ratchet & Clank Future here
    Clerk: Yes, but that's not out yet (Pulls out Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction) we only have this
    Customer: That's not the one
    Me: Okay, it's called Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, it's on PS3, and it came out a few days ago, now can I get some help?
    Customer: Ohhhh okay, and can I get Rock Band for the Xbox 360
    Clerk: Sorry sir, that's not out yet
    Customer: But it says order yours today
    Me: Yeah, order it for when it comes out in November
    Customer: Don't be smart with me kid. -_-

Needless to say I died a little inside.
  • mxDamages said:
    Once my cousin dragged me to a Madden 07 midnight release at my local Gamestop, this group of nerds crowded around their friend who had just bought the game and drooled over it, one said as the other took it out of the bag, "Don't touch it man, it's HOT!"

Another time I walked up to the counter to get GH3 on release day while I was waiting for a clerk who was ringing up someone else's games, the conversation went like this:

Customer: Do you have Ratchet & Clank Future for preorder?
    Clerk: No, it's not out yet, we only have Ratchet & Clank tools of destruction
    Customer: But it says Ratchet & Clank Future here
    Clerk: Yes, but that's not out yet (Pulls out Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction) we only have this
    Customer: That's not the one
    Me: Okay, it's called Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, it's on PS3, and it came out a few days ago, now can I get some help?
    Customer: Ohhhh okay, and can I get Rock Band for the Xbox 360
    Clerk: Sorry sir, that's not out yet
    Customer: But it says order yours today
    Me: Yeah, order it for when it comes out in November
    Customer: Don't be smart with me kid. -_-

Needless to say I died a little inside.

The clerk made ahonest mistake the customer was a asshole
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    is this a "you rage, you lose" thread? if so, i lost at the title.[quote=Kashii]i saw a mother buy her duaghter a ds and every version of nintendogs. not a conversation but still made me die inside. also i saw a bunch of people pretty much circle jerking over skate i mean dont get me wrong its an ok game but there like "its the best game ever" and "i hope they make one every year like they do with tony hawk"
    it was the first NT review i ever saw and to this day it's one of the few NT reviews i disagree with.
    "HURR DURR I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO DO IN THIS PLAYGROUND THEREFORE THE PLAYGROUND SUCKS"[/quote]

o ok im sorry i wasn't entitled to my own personal opinion
  • One time I called ahead to EBGames (Gamestop) to see if they had the newest volume of Game Informer (I heard it had Brutal Legend info in it) to decide if I should take the time to stop by on the way home.

Me : Hi, do you have the November ( think it was November? ) issue of Game Informer?
    Clerk : Just a sec...

Clerk: Yeah we do.
    Me: kthxbye.

When I arrived: There were some old october issues.

Me: Hi I called earlier about the November issue of your magazine...
    Clerk: yeah right here *points to rack*
    Me: Uh, that's last months
    Clerk: Oh is it? Oh. Come back in a week or so...

So I did. :(

Worst part is I knew the guy who was working there. I was in a band with him. I fee dirt y by association. :(
  • Kashii said:
    [quote=Lucien_Lachance]is this a "you rage, you lose" thread? if so, i lost at the title.[quote=Kashii]i saw a mother buy her duaghter a ds and every version of nintendogs. not a conversation but still made me die inside. also i saw a bunch of people pretty much circle jerking over skate i mean dont get me wrong its an ok game but there like "its the best game ever" and "i hope they make one every year like they do with tony hawk"
    "HURR DURR I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO DO IN THIS PLAYGROUND THEREFORE THE PLAYGROUND SUCKS"[/quote]

o ok im sorry i wasn't entitled to my own personal opinion[/quote]jesus christ, every one of you does this.
    "ITS MY OPINION HURR"
    thank you, captain obvious, now defend your opinion with a counter-argument. that way, it would almost be like a discussion.
    assert yourselves goddamn.
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    [quote=Kashii][quote=Lucien_Lachance]is this a "you rage, you lose" thread? if so, i lost at the title.[quote=Kashii]i saw a mother buy her duaghter a ds and every version of nintendogs. not a conversation but still made me die inside. also i saw a bunch of people pretty much circle jerking over skate i mean dont get me wrong its an ok game but there like "its the best game ever" and "i hope they make one every year like they do with tony hawk"

o ok im sorry i wasn't entitled to my own personal opinion[/quote]jesus christ, every one of you does this.
    "ITS MY OPINION HURR"
    thank you, captain obvious, now defend your opinion with a counter-argument. that way, it would almost be like a discussion.
    assert yourselves goddamn.[/quote]

umm i dont like skating games that much... so now let me save you the trouble and ill predict what your next post will be

"WELL THEN of course you didnt like it durr! and so your biased and .... you know what nvm im not enough of an ass to do this...
  • Shut up, you two. :) Currently both of you are competing in my "dumbest thing said in a thread" memory, so quit it ;) Let's stay on topic!!!

I died laughing when I heard about the "Don't touch it, it's HOT" Madden 07 story. That's a good one!
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    assert yourselves goddamn.

they why dont you defend your opinion? the only defense you had was the completely uncalled for statement of:
    "HURR DURR I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO DO IN THIS PLAYGROUND THEREFORE THE PLAYGROUND SUCKS"

insults are not enough of a defense to stand up to even the most trivial of facts. it just makes you look like a jackass.
  • You be quiet too, Brex. :P I will not tolerate fighting in class!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion