Listener Homework: Suggest other Retro Gaming Club titles
  • So we're starting another segment to combat the gaming doldrums called "Retro Gaming Club". The only rules are:

* New game every week, play over the weekend
    * Talk about the retro game in the thread
    * You do NOT talk about retro gaming club

This week is the classic PC title, System Shock 2.

Suggest any other titles here.. we both picked up Sly 3 when we got WarioWare so it's likely that will be one real soon.
  • I support Sly 3 for the next retro title. Its awesome and I wanna go play it again.

Suggestion #1: Um... Whats that Nintendo Wii VC title? Er... You have a flamethrower and it looked like metal slug... <_> ... Gunstar Heroes!

People could go virtual console it on their wii or emulate it, so its available to everybody.

Suggestion #2: Some SNES game. There's a SNES emulator out there which allows you to multiplayer online. We could designate a noobtoob snes hour in the weekends with up to four people. Depends on the game though... Hm...
  • I've never heard of sly 3 so yeah uhh as for old school games are C64 games out, cause we could crack open some good old park patrol, or bubble bobble :lol:

yall could give wolfenstein a go that's the game that got me into PC gaming all those years ago now.
  • Hey guys,

I could'nt help but think that it would be awesome to look back at some of the genre defining RTS's. It's been ages but i think im actually gonna go and find a xp compatible version of the original C&C and play it. I think this would be an awesome game to go over and reminisce on. And seeing how i can never find a port of Dune 2 that actually works.....

Anyway i am a real diehard fan of pretty much all the old westwood RTS's (Except Tiberian Sun that game was just poor). I'd love to see the old C&C warchests dragged into the sunlight again.

Well there's my two cents.
  • The Sly Cooper and Ratchet games are fun. Beyond Good & Evil, too, and that's something that can be completed easily in a weekend.

And I always love an excuse to replay Psychonauts
  • Being fans of Guitar Hero, I strongly recommend you guys pick Frequency (or its sequel Amplitude) for the PS2 as the retro game. They were made by Harmonix prior to GH and are some of the best rhythm games ever. Also, with the rumor going around that GH has been moved over to Neversoft, it is a great opportunity to pay some respect to the rhythm game kings. You could find a copy in the used games section of pretty much any video game store for about $5 (thats how I got em).
    Any rhythm game fan needs to heck both games out.
  • Retro eh?

SNES: Zombies ate my Neighbors!

Can't really say much about this game, but it's very challenging and addictive! With a friend, you two will be playing this like Lost Planet, making plans and stuff.

Or you wanna go full party game?

N64: Golden Eye: 007

Speaks for itself!

• SNES: Zombies ate my Neighbors!

Dude, the genesis version is so much better :)

I've been raving about this game since forever, and it was by far my favorite 16 bit era game. I hilighted it when we talked about the Monster Madness trailer. If you get a chance, check out the trailer on the video marketplace, and check out these screenshots:

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1249/Monster-Madness/p1/

It really looks like the spiritual successor and I'm wetting my pants just thinking about that game.

Good suggestions so far. We're definitely going to have Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts slated as must plays for the retro gaming club, so keep em all coming. I'm definitely really interested in the older harmonix games too, and maybe Rez.
  • DJausGAMER said:
    I could'nt help but think that it would be awesome to look back at some of the genre defining RTS's. It's been ages but i think im actually gonna go and find a xp compatible version of the original C&C and play it.

Oh yeah, I'm down for that. Though I think it'll take a lot to get Tobin to sit down for another RTS -- he hates them with a passion now.

If we're going to pick any one genre defining one, I'd say Total Annihaliation would be a good one since Supreme Commander is coming out soon. Maybe the week before it's release :)
  • Dammn! That game looks like a great recreation of ZAMN, but with more horror and blood!

Too bad I don't have a 360. :cry:
  • Tower Records Sale

They're going out of business, so they've taken 25% off of everything. Its really cheap too. o_O If you've got a bit of money and wanna try sly, I highly recommend it.
  • The first two Fallout games on the PC. They were awesome but the new console versions are pretty bad. Kind of sucks that they were released in the mid 90's (96-98) so they're pretty hard to find.
  • kenkaze said:
    The first two Fallout games on the PC. They were awesome but the new console versions are pretty bad. Kind of sucks that they were released in the mid 90's (96-98) so they're pretty hard to find.

Have you played them lately? I hope they hold up.

I played the shit out of Fallout back in college. That can definitely go in the running for the NooBTooB retro game of the week.
  • tobin said:
    [quote=kenkaze]The first two Fallout games on the PC. They were awesome but the new console versions are pretty bad. Kind of sucks that they were released in the mid 90's (96-98) so they're pretty hard to find.

Have you played them lately? I hope they hold up.

I played the shit out of Fallout back in college. That can definitely go in the running for the NooBTooB retro game of the week.[/quote]
    I just recently found them in old jewel cases the cd's are scratched but they still work. both of the games still hold up to modern RPG's.
  • Playing Crackdown demo reminded me of my favorite "other" sandbox style game: Mercenaries. It should be pretty cheap now, and holy hell was it fun. By far it had the best simulation of a real world, more so than GTA or anything else. There's lots of places to explore and things to do other than just killing everyone...but killing everyone is sooo much fun. The vehicles control perfectly and dish out wonderful destruction, and the way EVERYTHING can be destroyed is excellent. The only thing missing is co-op play.

At the very least, you need to play until you get the ability to call in fuel air explosive airstrikes...possibly the best weapon ever in a game!
  • What about Final fantasiy tactics advanced on the gba.
    Its like star wars Kor mixed with Advanced wars
    Its what ff 12 is based on.
  • what about kingdom hearts 2 that was fun as hell especially near the end of the game where you have to fight 1000 enemies at once. mercinaries was great but repetive after a while. i vote for beyond good and evil
  • Is Kingdom Hearts 2 really "retro"? I thought it just came out a few months ago.
  • dontmatter said:
    what about kingdom hearts 2 that was fun as hell especially near the end of the game where you have to fight 1000 enemies at once. mercinaries was great but repetive after a while. i vote for beyond good and evil

Yeah, that's in my top 5 PS2 games of all time. I'd be happy to replay it.
  • One of the best adventures The Curse of Monkey Island on pc
    To hell and back on commodore 64..ah those were the days...
  • Metroid Prime for the Cube, or Super Metroid for SNES.

SNES games are easily found nowadays...
  • Yeah, that's in my top 5 PS2 games of all time. I'd be happy to replay it.

The first two hours are so boring!
  • have you tryed the prince of Persia trillogy
  • Here are some retro games I came up with :

- Cannon fodder
    - Another world ( 15 th aniversary got out on the PC just now )
    - Wing Commander series , IV price of freedom - Being my fave
    - Rock `n Roll Racing
    - Time Crisis
    - Total Anihilation
    - Heavy Gear 2
    - Carmageddon
    - Redline
    - Black & white
    - Zelda N64 ( first one )
  • i don't know any on the console but i can suggest some on the pc or c64
    PC : Blood 2:the chosen
    Sim Copter

C64 : Giana sisters
    To hell and back
    Ghost&Goblins
    Ninja 2
    Blue Max
    Congo Bongo
    Blue Max
    Donkey Kong
  • gwenster said:

- Rock `n Roll Racing

Greatest car game ever!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week