Episode 2 Noobtoob Modcast - Noobtoob May Cry
  • You thought we'd give up? Hoped we'd quit? We're baaaack!

This week, Jam Enslaver hosts, and Locke and Sunflower4000(who was sick, coughing his face off) accompany the second episode of the Noobtoob Modcast. Advice has been heeded, equipment has been purchased, and the podcast is sounding better than ever. Also, less news!

This week, we cover a myriad of different games, but most notably Burnout Paradise and the Devil May Cry 4 demo, as well as touch on Advance Wars Day of Ruin for the DS, COD4 (as it never gets old), Omega Five (Jam has now been converted), and many more.

Also, we answer some questions from the Mailbag, as well as ask a culture question (and answer). Note, the Mailbag won't ever be completely answered, so if your question doesn't get answered this week, it might get answered next week. Or the next..or the next.. So tune in, you won't be disappointed. And yes, we're working on the iTunes feed. Still. Leave feedback!

http://noobtoobfiles.com/modcast/NooBTooB%20Modcast%20Episode%20002.mp3
  • Good episode.

To answer Jam's comment about the Call of Duty leveling. The first time I played the game online. I was getting XP for kills, and I was enjoying killing people, calling in UAVs, then calling in Airstrikes, etc. But around level 30 or so. I started hearing people talking, and they were saying things like "Oh, cool, I just unlocked this challenge". So know, as soon as I level high enough to unlock the challenges. I'm going to go for certain things straight away, and know which challenges are easier than the others.

Locke, just to know, to get the achievements for playing with your "Space bitches" You'll have to beat all of the side quests as well as the story. and if you are using Liara, you'll have to go find her straight away, if you did anything else first, you won't be able to get the achievement.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • I'm glad you decided to take a chunk of the news out simply because I usually go to IGN and GameSpot everyday for my gaming-news, and to hear it again from you guys was kinda boring, I hope I didn't sound too much of an ass then.

Sweet episode guys, your doing a great job with it, and I look forward to next week's 'cast.
  • I really liek the show this week... Sunflower made a good point about the PS3... they are delaying the games and part of the reason that i havent upgraded from PS2 to PS3... sadly i only have a PS2.... And Left Handed People will rule the world someday.... :twisted: It was mentioned last week and i can kinda still see it and you guys are too nice to each other... i guess we got used to see tobin and yuzo.... Rather than that is was a good show!!! Keep it up
  • Good show guys. I was impressed with the old console talk too. I owned Body Harvest. I never could get anywhere in it. But, it is a great game, clunky driving controls though.

A great Sega master system game is Dynamite Dux, which was I think the only port this arcade game got to the home console market and its a GREAT one. Then there are the Fantasy Zone games, 1 and 2 are excellent...3 is NOT.

And of course the IMMORTAL Alex Kidd in Miracle World, which is almost worth the whole console.

Then there was Golvelius, which is the SMS's answer to Zelda (prior to Golden Axe Warrior which was also VERY Zelda-ish)

Time Soldier
    Rambo
    Master of Darkeness (Think Castlevania)

And the Ninja Gaiden on the Master System is actually Ninja Gaiden 4 as it follows the NES trilogy.

I could go on and on the Master System is just GREATNESS.

-Ray
  • I DIDN'T KNOW YOU PLAYED QUAKE WARS!!

God damn, add me. Tsuyoi_v2. We will play sometime =]
  • Much better this week seeing as now sunflower got a headset my only complaint is gone, the audio quality is great. Keep up the good work and continue to do what you do.
  • Almost done with it :) I'm liking it ^^

Add me to Quake Wars! Mekko
    Woo
  • Quake wars adding comments aside . I Just finished listening to the show whilst making my bloody way to work (goddamn monday traffic)
    Since i didn`t outright turn you guys off and went for my usual playlist of road rage songs says a whole lot of good :-)
    Shame on me , I didn`t listen in on episode one but i`ll backtrack to that this afternoon .

You guys are on the right track and to express things in a NooBToob comparison you guys got the "Yuzo" down .
    I.E being very informative, pointing out what`s hot and what`s not on a game and presenting it on a neat platter.
    However it needs more "Tobin" to get trough the long segments of the show to break it up a little .
    I geuse this will only come as a natural when you guys do this sort of thing more often , if you look / listen back at earlier NooBToob episodes
    those guys were stiff as a board compared to how they are now .

I am curious tough what software did you guys use ? Conference call in Skype ? Or Ventrilo ? And record it with some 3rd party app ?
    Cause I highly doubt you guys`d fly over to eachother every week - even tough you`d probably like the sound of that :)

Final mention , Burnout paradise . Like Locke said - the demo was a real turn down .
    This was my demo experience .
    1. OMG it looks sweet . 2.Shit its fast ! 3. Oh instant online nice ! 4. Gotcha suckah ! 5. Driving around ... 6. ZzzzZzzz 7. Play omega five

That went downhill in an hour where just smashing into people wasnt fun anymore and i felt (after only playing the demo) that the whole burnout
    feel was gone because the whole thing was free roaming as compared to the previous 4 non handheld games players would be less
    focused on doing the hardcore smash `n bash driveplay we`ve all come to love about Burnout and just dick around town like a random sandbox game .

Is there any actual racing like the previous games involved at all ? Cause i loved that gameplay and if the full version is THAT and MORE ? Then I`ll buy it .

At any rate that`s all for me . I dont really have any comments on improving - except mute your microphone when you cough really loud hurting my ears since the volume was up pretty much - :-)
    Maybe keep it tighter to an hour ? But that`s also an experience thing .
  • gwenster said:
    I am curious tough what software did you guys use ? Conference call in Skype ? Or Ventrilo ? And record it with some 3rd party app ?
    Cause I highly doubt you guys`d fly over to eachother every week - even tough you`d probably like the sound of that :)

Is there any actual racing like the previous games involved at all ? Cause i loved that gameplay and if the full version is THAT and MORE ? Then I`ll buy it .

At any rate that`s all for me . I dont really have any comments on improving - except mute your microphone when you cough really loud hurting my ears since the volume was up pretty much - :-)
    Maybe keep it tighter to an hour ? But that`s also an experience thing .

A few things:

We use a conference call in Skype but triple-end our recording to bring the best quality we can.

There IS plenty of actual racing like the previous games, it feels excellent and rocks. You. Will. Not. Be. Disappointed. Promise. <3<br />
    And yes, I found out that with our new technique, muting your Skype mic does not mute my own recording, so a cough slipped through. Damned lung cancer :) - we'll be fixing that from now on. Glad you enjoyed the show.
  • Great Modcast guys, a mediocre day injected with some gaming news is always great!

I'm hoping my rental service sends me Burnout in the next few days as I'm really looking forward to checking this out, I love burnout loads, I was one of the few that actually like the demo (mainly the co-op challenges in the demo) and so can't wait to check out "paradise".

Sunflower sounds great with the new mic, though i think Locke sounds a bit quieter than all the rest at times.. not all the time.. but I did turn it up at one point only then to have sunflower shout my ear off with his next sentance.

I totally agree that I kinda feel bad that im playing COD4 and not getting achievments but i think I'll take Locke's side of the argument.. I have a stack of games here that i really should finish (Mass Effect for example) and that I could be earning some nice Gamerpoints from, but for me its not the points, it's having games barely touched and unfinished and totally whoring myself on COD4.

Anyway awesome modcast again, you guys really got this out quick i was totally surprised. ..Oh and don't be shy to mention my name more.
  • Thanks again everyone for all the feedback - keep the good points and the points we can work on coming!
    SmokestormX said:
    I totally agree that I kinda feel bad that im playing COD4 and not getting achievments but i think I'll take Locke's side of the argument.. I have a stack of games here that i really should finish (Mass Effect for example) and that I could be earning some nice Gamerpoints from, but for me its not the points, it's having games barely touched and unfinished and totally whoring myself on COD4.

I know what you mean Smokey - all my other games cry when I touch COD4...I can see Crackdown and Forza 2 calling my name, but I can't battle the urge to let my squad down when I find everyone sitting there on XBL.
    Oh and SmokestormX is god (shameless smokey plug)

I am not sure why the hell I was echoing at certain points in the show, but I will see what I can do to fix this audio issue. At least I am not sharing my cancer like another host... :wink:

Gwenster said:
    You guys are on the right track and to express things in a NooBToob comparison you guys got the "Yuzo" down .
    I.E being very informative, pointing out what`s hot and what`s not on a game and presenting it on a neat platter.
    However it needs more "Tobin" to get trough the long segments of the show to break it up a little .
    I geuse this will only come as a natural when you guys do this sort of thing more often , if you look / listen back at earlier NooBToob episodesthose guys were stiff as a board compared to how they are now.

This is a really good point and I think it will come with time, like you said as we get more comfortable in doing this. I like that we actually had some differences on the games this week - and that adds for more discussion, which is the best part of the show so far.
    Shame on you for missing ep.1 Gwenster - you should know better!
  • Locke said:
    Shame on you for missing ep.1 Gwenster - you should know better!

It`s called being fashionably late 8)
  • This question is if you have a xbox360 and a ps3 and a game is coming out for both like Call of Duty 4 watch one would you guys chose :?:
  • I feel kind of bad that I couldn't think of many good games for the Master System when it was my first gaming console and I played it so much. I'm planning on going down to my parents' house soon and digging the old thing out and doing a little piece, as something of an introduction to the many people who never even saw one, and will soon be able to play its games.
  • sunflower, you have earned 17 points of my respect for choosing the dreamcast as your favorite console. though i do not have the love of fighters that you do, the dreamcast is still my favorite for games like skies of arcadia, resident evil, and of course, pen pen tri-icelon, which i still need to play again at some point.

EDIT: just heard you guys answering my question, and now i need to think of a better one for next time, cause it was a bit disappointing, but i guess you could say that it was my fault for putting in a very simple one or the other question like that. now... what to ask
  • brex123 said:
    sunflower, you have earned 17 points of my respect for choosing the dreamcast as your favorite console. though i do not have the love of fighters that you do, the dreamcast is still my favorite for games like skies of arcadia, resident evil, and of course, pen pen tri-icelon, which i still need to play again at some point.

What's that translate to in noobies? :)
  • Brex, also, think hard--we're going to be trying to keeping ourselves up to date on the mailbag for the most part, and it will serve us well when we don't have much new to play or discuss. I'm starting to think we're not playing nearly enough other stuff for next week's discussions. But I know we'll always have a lot to talk about, and PLENTY of stuff we can get into. :) Mailbag helps! Also, if the mailbag questions are shit, we'll be skipping them. ;) Don't lose hope if your question isn't answered next week, as we may not have had enough time to get to them. Definitely keep the questions comin'.
  • Hey sunflower... did u have the actual dreamcast games or did u have burned copies of it? If you did have burned copies and you got them from the internet... could you tell me how to get a couple of games?
  • KernelKool said:
    Hey sunflower... did u have the actual dreamcast games or did u have burned copies of it? If you did have burned copies and you got them from the internet... could you tell me how to get a couple of games?

I have hundreds of the actual games. I do not have burned copies and I will not tell you how to get them. Just go out and look, the majority of all Dreamcast games are very cheap.
  • easier said then done!
  • I have to so strongly disagree about your guys' comments about COD4 not having multiplayer achievements.
    I think that is one of the best decisions they could have made in terms of adding to the fun factor. Now you don't have to worry about having a team that is half full of achievement whores who wont go for the objectives because they want to sit in their sniper nest so they can get their 100 headshots achievement or whatever.

The game still rewards you with things like 100 sniper kills, but here is the difference.
    With an achievement it's like. "OK, this is how I measure myself as a good player. I HAVE to reach this goal in order to be recognized as a good player", so you get guys who just go for that achievement and couldn't give a fuck about whats going on around them. (I know this because I have a friend who is just like that and he sucks to play with for that reason).

With the experience system you're like "OK, if I get 100 sniper shots I get some bonus XP which is great. But I can get more XP by going and bombing the target, or completing whatever other objectives of the map, and winning the game". So you get people who might still sit back and try to get there sniper kills, but the main goal is the team winning, so if they see the team is getting manhandled, they're probably gonna change up the strategy & do something to help the team win.

Without the achievements, the game is left for the people who want to play the multiplayer for the FUN of the multiplayer which is a fantastic thing. All the achievement whores can stick to the SP game where they aren't fucking up things for the rest of us.
  • That is a good point Erock (noobie for you). Having the challenges as optional but worthwhile does remove the pressure, and of course removes people playing just to get them.
  • Wow, Erock. You've made me change my ways...awesome post. I agree with you now and I change my stance. Reading it, I flashed back to Gears of War, and people who would ONLY stick or scream about getting the Torque Bow. Why? Because of the achievements. So logic prevails, my good man. You are RIGHT! Keeping the multiplayer fun and there for the sake of wanting to do war unto others...is definitely the way to go. You converted me Erock! Rejoice!
  • Great episode guys. I've been away from the forums for a while and it was a real treat to come back and see such great additional content being generated.

I think I agree with Gwenster in that some more humor thrown into the mix would help balance out the show. I noticed a couple times in this episode when Locke was making silly jokes during a serious conversation, but Sunflower and Jam just kind of ignored him and continued discussing. Maybe Locke would be a good candidate to step into more of a "Tobin" role.

Again, great job. Can't wait for next week.
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    What's that translate to in noobies? :)

one.. for the next modcast when it comes out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week