Retro Gaming Club: Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  • New game this week, woo! I guess no one likes getting their jaw stabbed so we have Ratchet & Clank as our RGC title. Bah, Tobin's aim is so bad he can't stab a jaw on a colossi even if there was a big glowing symbol on it. Wusses!

This game should be _really_ easy to find, either as a $20 Greatest Hits title, or $15 used at a games shop. It's one of the better platformers for the PS2, and the Insomniac guys really know how to put the polish on a game. In fact, they're considered one of the top 50 small/medium companies to work for!

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2005/6/21-57

Anyhow, I've updated the page with the newest game:

http://noobtoob.com/wiki/Retro_Gaming_Club

Go out and grab this classic game and report back with your thoughts! Does it live up to your memories? Is it your first time playing and does it live up to the hype?

Yw
  • I'll see if they have it at a Gamestop when I go into Fort Wayne after I'm done at ITT.
  • just bet first boss and loving it but i wish that they had added the movies in the goddies like they didi in the first game
  • i've been playing this on and off for a while so i'm pretty far through i love the captain quark mini games and the guy himself (random) and as per usual it has the parts of the humor that appeal to both adults and children.
  • I love that game it's so funny
  • FINALY got all the skill points damn toese captian quark ones were hard
  • I just got a ps2 a few weeks ago and I got Going Commando with it, but I'll just pretend its UYA.
  • Hops said:
    I just got a ps2 a few weeks ago and I got Going Commando with it, but I'll just pretend its UYA.

In my opinion, Going Commando is the better game. To me, UYA felt like the single player game suffered because they wanted to focus more on multiplayer. The single-player level design isn't as good, and I don't like the vehicle levels as much as the space ship ones in Going Commando.
  • ok i'll try to find it this weekend, but does anyone know if it's gonna look like complete ass on my hdtv? at least games like god of war 2 support widescreen.....
  • I'm gonna hopefully get a copy of this over the weekend at some point and start bashing away at it, havent completed a platformer in so long, i tend to lose interest but the r&c series has always intrigued me.
  • Presently_Gifted said:
    ok i'll try to find it this weekend, but does anyone know if it's gonna look like complete ass on my hdtv? at least games like god of war 2 support widescreen.....

Up Your Arsenal supports 480p and widescreen, and it looks pretty good on a big screen. Even the earlier games look good -- they've got a great art style, and with the style of shading they use you don't really get the horribly blocky textures that Shadow of Colossus has.
  • Wow, nice...i wasn't expecting it to have both 480p and widescreen. i think i'm gonna go on a ps2 binge and finally finish a lot of old games i have.....
  • I'm pretty impressed. The gameplay started out a little slow, but the experience grows on you. I love the obstacle courses, the arenas, and the vid-comics.

I'm enjoying listening to the dialogue. The voice acting is superb, especially the Clinton impersonation, and it's almost always funny enough to make me laugh.