Favorite PS1 rpg's
  • As we all know the PSone had a mess load of rpg's and some even revolutionised the rpg genre forever. I was going to make this a poll but there are just WAY too many rpg's on the PSone that were freakin awesome. So I'll go ahead and say name your top 3.

1.Final Fantasy 8
    2.Final Fantasy 7
    3.Chrono Cross

People always get pissed at me for liking FF8 more than 7, I don't know what it is but that game brings back good memories and I just enjoyed it a lot. There are so many freaking good RPG's for the PSone and I'm sure alot of you like different ones more than others so I'm curious, what are your guyses top 3 RPG's for the PSone
  • In no particular order: Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Cross, Brave Fencer Musashi, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny, and Legend of Mana.
    Too hard to judge them really, All are great, and it's been awhile since I played them.

Oh, and just to justify the complaint of liking 8 more than 7, I HATED BOTH.
    If anyone has any hatemail, it should go my way.
  • 1. Breath of fire IV - i enjoyed it more than FF VII
    2. FF VII - pleasant memories
    3. Vagrant Story - oh yeah

I don't know why but i had more fun playing BOF4 over FFVII, it was an experience similar to FF but something kept me in front of PSX whole days.... and Vagrant Story - i don't know if someone haven't played it OR at least haven't heard of this game.
  • I don't think think I played that many Ps1 RPGs really, but I was always fond of FF tactics. It was pretty difficult and when I played it, I thought it was long as hell. FF tactics and Grandia perhaps :/
  • Tactics, and Beyond the Beyond. I enjoyed random battles when I was 7
  • i have only really played vagrant story, but it is one of the best that i have played, even though the combat is like watching a kid try to pull the family car into the driveway (stops and goes, stops and goes...). the story is very well told, and the combat may be badly paced, its still really good. i definatly recommend it.
  • I've played tons of RPG games on our PS1 and I'm still playing it on an emulator...

• Alundra
    • Brave Fencer Musashi
    • Final Fantasy 7
    • Final Fantasy 9
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Final Fantasy Tactics
    • "Tales of" series
    • Mega man Legends 1 and 2
    • Xenogears
    • Chrono Cross

there are plenty of games that I'd played in the PS1 and some of it I didn't finished like FF 4-6 :P but overall for me it was RPG's GREAT days before it went downhill...
  • LoneWolf-7 said:

People always get pissed at me for liking FF8 more than 7, I don't know what it is but that game brings back good memories and I just enjoyed it a lot. There are so many freaking good RPG's for the PSone and I'm sure alot of you like different ones more than others so I'm curious, what are your guyses top 3 RPG's for the PSone

I'm with you there. For some reason I had a HELL of a LOT more fun with FF8. I could definitely see that FF7 was great, but it just didn't draw me in like #8 did.

I think it had to do with
    1. I preferred the more "realistic" characters rather than cartoony & blocky characters of FF7.
    2. The game revolved around a bunch of Highschool kids (with a hot fuckin teacher) which I could relate to more. Instead of my dingy boring highschool, I could imagine going to a fancy school that could FUCKING FLY! :)
    3. All my friends were playing it at the same time, and every time we'd get to a new cool part in the game we'd get to school and talk about how cool it was, lol. Sounds ultra-nerdy but whatever.
  • Erock said:
    [quote=LoneWolf-7]

I'm with you there. For some reason I had a HELL of a LOT more fun with FF8. I could definitely see that FF7 was great, but it just didn't draw me in like #8 did.

I think it had to do with
    1. I preferred the more "realistic" characters rather than cartoony & blocky characters of FF7.
    2. The game revolved around a bunch of Highschool kids (with a hot fuckin teacher) which I could relate to more. Instead of my dingy boring highschool, I could imagine going to a fancy school that could FUCKING FLY! :)
    3. All my friends were playing it at the same time, and every time we'd get to a new cool part in the game we'd get to school and talk about how cool it was, lol. Sounds ultra-nerdy but whatever.[/quote]

Wow theres actually people that like 8 more than 7, it's not just me, LOL I think it was because of that perhaps, I had a group of friends that was playing it but they would always be like, it's good but not better than 7. I don't know I freakin enjoyed like every moment of it, and the limit breaks were just taken up to a whole other level, man it felt awesome using the Renzokuken for the 1st time, and I loved that it was different everytime. :D Another cool thing was that the enemies would lvl up with you, so if you were lvl 10 they' d be lvl 10 and if you were 100 they were 100 aswell, I just found it brilliant but to many other people it was like whatever I guess.
  • In order
    1. Lunar Silver Star Story: Complete(I believe it was on snes in japan but was on ps1 in NA) Edit: actually it was sega CD first
    2. Final Fantasy 9
    3. Final Fantasy 7
  • FF series

crono chros

crono triger
  • Nostros said:
    Oh, and just to justify the complaint of liking 8 more than 7, I HATED BOTH.

You are not alone sir. I don't blame people for liking them. There were a lot better games in that generation and even better in the previous.

If you weren't old enough you didn't get to enjoy things like Dragon Warrior, Original FF (not that it was amazing, but it started things), Faxanadu, Zelda (2 was good god dammit), Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (We're not Japanese k thx!), and the list keeps going on and on.

PS1 Generation. I won't rank anything, but I'll list 3 games. Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears. If you haven't played them you need to. I also found that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was better for the GBA as well. I'm a huge turned based strategy RPG fan, and loved games like Dark Wizard for the Sega CD (if you can find it play it...it's awesome!).

Yeah...the PS2 had equally if not a more impressive lineup. Final Fantasy X (a timeless looking game...really spectacular), Final Fantasy XII (I thought it looked worse), Disgaea (and the other Nippon Ichi games), Dragon Quest VIII, and a ton of others that I can't remember. We've really been spoiled in recent time in regards to RPG's!

We do need a new Earthbound however :) The series would fare quite well on the Wii I think. Really show off its practical graphics and gameplay :)
  • Lunar Stories
    Wild Arms
    Suikoden

Those were my 'not obvious' choices. Even my mom beat the crap out of Wild Arms like five times.

Oh, and I agree a Cel-Shaded Earthbound on the Wii using the Wii mote to charge of Psypower attacks and stuff would be awesome, I mean I MIGHT even like the generic up and down pumping action to drive NESS's Bike [Or something similar].
  • FFVII
    FF Tactics
    Montster Rancher!
  • I forgot to include Suikoden. Although the series has somewhat of an epic following moreso due to the fact that 2 is rare as shit. I can't recommend a game like that...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=suikoden+2&category0=

$0.99 - $200

Good luck :) This is a situation where I'd recommend pirating the games...
  • Decker said:
    [quote=Nostros]Oh, and just to justify the complaint of liking 8 more than 7, I HATED BOTH.

You are not alone sir. I don't blame people for liking them. There were a lot better games in that generation and even better in the previous.

If you weren't old enough you didn't get to enjoy things like Dragon Warrior, Original FF (not that it was amazing, but it started things), Faxanadu, Zelda (2 was good god dammit), Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (We're not Japanese k thx!), and the list keeps going on and on.

PS1 Generation. I won't rank anything, but I'll list 3 games. Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears. If you haven't played them you need to. I also found that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was better for the GBA as well. I'm a huge turned based strategy RPG fan, and loved games like Dark Wizard for the Sega CD (if you can find it play it...it's awesome!).

Yeah...the PS2 had equally if not a more impressive lineup. Final Fantasy X (a timeless looking game...really spectacular), Final Fantasy XII (I thought it looked worse), Disgaea (and the other Nippon Ichi games), Dragon Quest VIII, and a ton of others that I can't remember. We've really been spoiled in recent time in regards to RPG's!

We do need a new Earthbound however :) The series would fare quite well on the Wii I think. Really show off its practical graphics and gameplay :)[/quote]Listing Chrono Trigger isn't fair. It's just too hard to be as great as Chrono trigger is. 8(
    That game is STILL FUN. D:
  • Didn't really play many RPGs on the PSone, but I did play and love;

Alundra
    Final Fantasy VII
    Parasite Eve
  • The PlayStation has some really great RPG's, it's pretty hard to name a bad RPG that's appeared on the PlayStation. To name a top 3 would be insane....but i'll do it anyway :P

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Final Fantasy VIII
    3. Persona

Final Fantasy VII - This game has such a huge place in my heart, it's incredible story completely took me in as I played this game, it was the first RPG I EVER played, and I still enjoy re-playing it today. Sure, many of you will say it is overated, and maybe it is but personally I find this game amazing in every way; storytelling, characters, graphics(remember, this was 1997), music/sound, etc. But, I do think the series has been raped a lot i.e. Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, etc. Dirge of Cerberus is possibly one of the worst games created, it tried to be like Devil May Cry but failed miserably. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Advent Children but the story could've been so much better if they didn't rush the film so much. So, yeah, I love Final Fantasy VII and that's why it's got the number 1 spot on my list.
  • LIEK OMG FFVII IS TEH BEST GAME EVER SEPHIROTH IS MY BISHIE AND YOU'RE BAKA IF YOU DISAGREE XD!!!!11
  • dont know if this would count but digimon world 3 awsome game until it got to hard and made me give up at like the second last boss and i had over 100 hours in my savefile
  • I'm afraid I'm part of the FFVII lovers. I'm pretty sure it was the first RPG I had played and it blew me away so I suppose that makes me bias.

I have a theory about the FFVII / FFVIII debate. It's possibly just coincidence but I’ve noticed that the one you play first seems to be the one you like best. Now I just have to wait on everyone to prove me wrong :D
  • Lucien_Lachance said:
    LIEK OMG FFVII IS TEH BEST GAME EVER SEPHIROTH IS MY BISHIE AND YOU'RE BAKA IF YOU DISAGREE XD!!!!11
    Die.
  • Arkouda said:
    I'm afraid I'm part of the FFVII lovers. I'm pretty sure it was the first RPG I had played and it blew me away so I suppose that makes me bias.

I have a theory about the FFVII / FFVIII debate. It's possibly just coincidence but I’ve noticed that the one you play first seems to be the one you like best. Now I just have to wait on everyone to prove me wrong :D

Actually I played 7 first I loved it and was my favorite in the series and then 8 came out, and blew me away even more. And then we have 9 which is just on the side there LOL jk it was ok but not better than 7 or 8 IMO
  • Yes, I am bringing back an old topic because I feel I have to add to it.

After 9 years of off and on again playing of FF VIII, getting near the end and then just putting it down, I finally beat it. I had to repurchase FF VIII on Amazon (yes, they still sell it factory sealed), because the original disk skipped on the opening cinematic which made it impossible to progress. Long story short, this game entered my top 3.

1.) FF VII
    2.) Parasite Eve
    3.) FF VIII

I won't spoil the game for anyone, but I thought the story sped up a little to much at the end, which is only a minor complaint as the story is pretty strong. Still this game holds up as it is in my top 3. I will say this though, it had the best end of game credits finale I've seen in a long long time. I was laughing my ass off and smiling the entire time. Good stuff.

I guess the next game to mix things up on the short list would be FF IX which I also purchased brand spanking new off of Amazon.
  • Yay for topic necromancy! Also I'm kind of surprised that it isn't in here anywhere, but one of my favorite RPGs of all time is Legend of Dragoon. The addition-combo system made it so much more interactive than other RPGs of the time, while still being very true to the RPG style. My only complaint was having to level grind quite a bit later in the game if you wanted any chance at beating some of the bosses or making it through incredibly long dungeons. It had a very good story though, some really crazy twists, characters dieing, epic-sized boss fights against dragoons+dragons. Man I should've brought it to college with me to replay it.

I'm still hoping that White Knight Story is a spiritual-successor to LoD.
  • Tales of Destiny 2 for me. Absolutely loved that game but never finished it because I couldn't find the 3rd and 4th disc...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week