Listener Homework: Top 3 Mobile Games of 2006
  • So you've heard ours, what are your top picks for PSP/DS/GBA/NGage/Ti84/Whatever!
  • For PSP that would be as follows :

Winners

- Rockman Irregular hunter X ( Megaman in US )
    - Ultimate Ghouls `n Ghoblins
    - Street Fighter Zero 3

Thats an all-star Capcom line-up !

Losers

- Any EA game most notably NFS series
    - Rengoku
    - Gangs of London

I never owned a GB/GBC/GBA/DS so I cant comment on those.
    BUT , I do have to say I was compelled by Rockman ZX on the DS .
  • gwenster said:
    For PSP that would be as follows :

Winners

- Rockman Irregular hunter X ( Megaman in US )

Woah, I didn't even know there was a Megaman on PSP. Hmmm, guess they called it Megaman Maverick Hunter X and released back in February. I'll go and see if it's in stock and give it a go this weekend.

Looks like this weekend is gonna be a mobile weekend. I'll have Metal Gear Portable Ops and Castlevania Portrait of Ruin to review. Should be fun!

Yw
  • I have been playing mobile ops since yesterday.
    Didnt get much play time in ( about an hour ) but so far I like it .
    Controls are fine except camera controls , but tapping the R button to center the camera is a god send .
    I really do like the new kind of storytelling wich is to use Sin City ish styled comic cut-scenes .
    It actually looks pretty damn good !
    The storyline is promising , tough from what I can tell the missions are bit sized. I.E 5-10 minute missions . Perfect for on the go I geuse but meh feels different .
    I dont have a definite word on it yet , tough there is alot of positive buzz on it from the reviews all over .

As far as Megaman goes .
    There are two Megaman games on the PSP .
    One being Megaman powered up ! Wich is a SD ( Super Deformed) Remake of the original Megaman from the NES .
    It isnt as ridiculously hard , but its all CUTESY and stuff now .

Its fun as Capcom added alot of content in besides the graphical changes wich are full 3D rendered instead of 2D sprite based .
    The graphics do look slick tough ( but cutesy )
    The extra content comes in the form of an actual in-game progressin storyline wich the original megaman sorta lacked and you just went by the story that came behind the game`s box description .
    The game has been remixed a bit too so the levels arent 100 % identical and power ups are stashed elsewhere.
    Also the boss vurnabilities have been changed .
    Then there is the fact that once you defeated a boss , you can play as him since Dr Light will repair and convert him to your side .
    The most fun thing about it I would imagine (as i never tried it) is that there is an actual level editor in there to create your own levels from scratch , you can upload them to your friends and stuff too to see how they fare against you .

But where things really do get interesting , is with Megaman : Maverick hunter X .
    As you might have geussed from the title , Maverick hunter X is a remake of the classic original Megaman X wich has been a favorite game of mine for a long time from the SNES era along with Secret of Mana wich at the time I wanted to impregnate the cartridge just to get sequels in 9 months .

Maverick hunter X actually managed to improve on the original .
    I have been very critical about it when I first heard it , thinking it was just going to be a piece of trash " lets make some nostalgic bucks " Game.
    But no , Capcom went all out .
    For one , the storyline is really thickened up with cool animated cutscenes
    full voice overs and the works , you get to see what snapped Sigma`s mind when he went Maverick and how he started the rebellion .
    The game is rendered in 3D and looks nice and sharp , level design has stayed faithfull however they re-arranged where X`s power ups are totally
    The music is remixed and really badass .

But the coolest thing off all is Vile mode .

Vile is the purple ish chap that you had to fight a few times pictured above
    He is at the end of the first level giving you a whooping .
    Once you finish the game once , you will unlock "hardcore" mode .
    Wich is alot harder . And you will unlock vile mode .
    You will play the campaign from Vile`s point of view and the storyline plays out differently .. your final boss is not Sigma but Megaman and Zero
    Also he has a whopping 70 + weapons !!!
    He can use 3 weapons at the same time .
    A shoulder cannon , a knee cannon and his arm cannon .
    All of wich you can configure with various types of weapons .
    Huge laser beams , homing missiles , automatic rifle , flamethrower and even a true to anime classic ROCKET PUNCH .
    Not only that , he can be upgraded with better armor and higher mobility as well .

If you liked Megaman X , you will LOVE this .
  • PSP Top 3;
    1. Ridge Racer
    2. Valkyrie Profile
    3. Wipeout Pure

Worst;
    Need For Speed Most wanted port... Oh... My... God... and Ape Escape Acadamy.

Gwenster makes me want to go buy megaman.. o_o

DS Top 3;
    1. Osu Tatakae Ouendan
    2. New Super Mario Bros
    3. Pokemon Fire Red =P

Worst;
    Um... Nintendogs. It forces you to keep playing...
  • Sloth said:
    PSP Top 3;
    1. Ridge Racer
    2. Valkyrie Profile
    3. Wipeout Pure

Worst;
    Need For Speed Most wanted port... Oh... My... God... and Ape Escape Acadamy.

Gwenster makes me want to go buy megaman.. o_o

DS Top 3;
    1. Osu Tatakae Ouendan
    2. New Super Mario Bros
    3. Pokemon Fire Red =P

Worst;
    Um... Nintendogs. It forces you to keep playing...

Hah. Any game where you want to keep playing can't possibly be your worst. My worst have been games where after 10 minutes I want to gouge my eyes out with a hot poker and then throw my DS off Mount Everest.
  • 1. Lumines (PSP)
    2. Super Mario 3 (GBA)
    3. Daxter (PSP)

Worst: Go Sodoku! (PSP)
  • Hey... Can any body tell me from where i can download Mobile Games for my Nokia N95

Thx in Advance...!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion