• It is good, anchored by an amazing performance. I remember when River Phoenix died, and nobody had heard of his brother. Thought he was gonna be like James Belushi, shows what I know.

In terms of the wronged male descending into narcissistic rage genre, this movie ranks ok. It is better than King of Comedy or Falling down. It is not in the same tier as Taxi Driver or Fight Club. It certainly references King of Comedy constantly, since Deniro as Murray basically walked straight out of that film.

Back to the good part. Oh my lord that performance. Phoenix is the dancing Harlequin of real pain and delusional joy. Thin and expressing himself through dance. The guy just pours emotion out of the screen and makes an extreme monster relatable. I feel the performance was so strong that they really did not need the Joker IP. Phoenix is doing his own angry clown. The Batman tie ins feel forced and unnecessary. I never need to see a string of pearls break ever again.

This is one of the films that will define the Trump era. There have been angry white guy flips out on world movies before. This one is going to gross a ton, because there have never been this many angry white guys. You can now be as poor and hopeless as anyone else. Welcome to equality. They pissed about it. Joker pissed. Trump is one expression of that impotent rage.
  • This one is going to gross a ton, because there have never been this many angry white guys. You can now be as poor and hopeless as anyone else. Welcome to equality. They pissed about it. 

HAHAHAHAHA. The idea that white guys being poor is a new concept. For fuck's sake, get your head out of your arse.

Anyway, insights from Retard Alley aside, Joker was excellent. The script was decent (much better than I was expecting actually), but Phoenix's performance is what really elevated it. What I love about it is that it's ambiguous enough that people can use it as a mirror and see whatever they want to in it, much like the delusional Arthur Fleck himself. Right-wing nuts see the movie pushing interracial marriage and blah blah blah. Left-wing nuts see above. The media sees and is begging for another mass shooting that they can blame on the movie (despite sucking John Wick's dick). And the perpetually offended by everything crowd are, as always, offended. It's beautiful. It is the best comic tie-in movie ever made, precisely because it could exist without it. The Avengers looks like the 'made for impotent man-child' trash that it is in comparison. 

And dancing down the stairs to Gary Glitter... perfection. I can't wait to see what extras are on the Blu Ray release. 
  • Exhibit A

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week