Week...Maybe Weeks in Gaming 18/03/2019
  • It's been a while since we have had one of these, in the absence of LittleG (where you gone dude?),I thought I would drop this tasty little thread.Why? Because...well, I am just interested in what you guys've been playing. I know I've worked my way through a few games in the past month or so. So how 'bout it? What you guys been up to? 

Ooh I'll go first.  In no particular order I worked my way through Shadow of the Tomb raider, It's fairly good. I just finished Crackdown 3, it's okay. What else? Oh I finished Battlefield V, its interesting, but does nothing special for the genre. 

Now I'm playing a hell of a lot of Apex Legend's, I can't wait for the Battlepass. I really feel like I need to give Respawn some dollar, dollar, pennies for the amount of time and fun I've had with this game to date. I've also just moved on to Yakuza Kiwami. I remember Tobin being obsessed with the Yakuza games, I myself have zero history with the series. It was free on Plus a few months ago so decided to give it a crack. I've played, I guess what equates to the prologue so far. The game seems really cool, decent story, a nice open world Tokyo (what I imagine it'd be like anyway, not been yet) and the combat seems unique and kinda fun.

I've also started a Universe mode in WWE 2k19, just to play as a few different characters really. I wish these games still had GM mode, the lack of structure here just isn't the same. I want that wrestling management sim feeling again. 

Finally I hacked my PS Classic...just to play Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, so I've been playing a shit tonne of THPS2 and its as much fun now as it was back then. This is my JAM probably one of the top 5 games of all time (It'd be interesting to see what other peoples would be).

Speaking of the PS Classic I stuck a fair few games on there to try out. The Harry Potter PS1 games, I tell you. They...well. THEY DO NOT HOLD UP. Hercules is still fun though. FIN
  • Overwatch - Gave the new character Baptiste and go. Not really feeling this iteration of Overwatch. Maybe after Blizzard do some more 'balancing' I'll get back into it.

Anthem - Platted it. Despite the shit thrown at this game, which it deserved entirely, I still had a pretty fun time with it, which surprised me. It felt like playing Dynasty Warriors after a certain point. You become so OP you can smash through hordes like they are nothing, which is very cathartic if you're not in the mood for anything too demanding on your mind or reflexes. The premise had so much potential, and if Bioware can somehow salvage something from this clusterfuck I might revisit it, but for now I'm done.

Sekiro - Only just scratched the surface, but From have made another great game. I spent last night getting hunted by a giant snake through long grass, and having my arse handed to me by a shinobi hunter mini-boss. If you're the type of person that thought Souls wasn't punishing enough, give Sekiro a try.

Crackdown 3 - I think I got to the last boss. I'm not sure. They've all been so samey and forgettable. I got to the point where I decided life is too short and I want to play other things, so I turned it off. I just don't care.

• Too hard to find time, too too hard! What follows is like the last month and a half? Who knows!

Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4): I've almost beat the.... whole... first world. Wooooooo. I'm about 4-5 hours in. Near the end of Toy Story land. It's fun! It's dumb as fuck! Still love the summons even if overused! Combat is great! This world design is fantastic! Jumping is still bad! It's funny at times! The limited exploration is done so well! Boss fights have had significant camera issues with how airborne they can be! 

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC): I've played a very little bit, up until I got the prosthetic arm. I feel woefully under-qualified to say anything except that combat is fun, the world is moody as all hell in a good way and feels like it's dying or on the verge of (great choice for setting too), and yet there are definite moments of color and beauty, and so far the first 30 minutes was easier than the first 30 minutes of any Souls game. Well. Eh. Maybe not. Demon's was pretty easy and so was DS1 at the very very beginning. Anyways. I'm excited to play more. Someday!

Two Point Hospital (PC): If you've played a cheekily humorous hospital sim before you've likely played this in a way, but it's so polished and the UI so clean (almost too minimalist actually, I've struggled to find some stuff) that the entire package here is very good. This is still a game that feels like it has a cap on how long you can enjoy it, but for a weekend or two of silly British announcer voice, cynically funny health humor, and simple but well done sim grid gameplay, can't go wrong.

Path of Exile (PC): I finished a few quests on my lower level Shadow and got up to the trials or whatever. I forget the name. All my skills had been reset since I hadn't played this character in awhile. 
  • Almost a month later!

Overwatch - The Uprising event is currently on so I've been playing for loot boxes. Finally had a chance to play with Baptiste. Insanely useful character. 

Borderlands GOTY Remastered - Back to Pandora! I was so happy when they announced a remaster of the original Borderlands. Platted it on PS4 and playing through it on the Bone with a friend. Moxxi's DLC is still too long and boring as fuck though. Really looking forward to Borderlands 3, but so afraid Gearbox are going to ruin it.

Sekiro - On a break from this after too many distractions, but almost finished my 2nd playthru. 2 more to go for plat.

World War Z - If Valve aren't going to give us Left 4 Dead 3, I'll take this instead. It's basically the same game, but with a character class and weapon upgrade system. You can also use scavenged defence systems during swarms such as turrets, barbed wire, and electrocution traps. You really need these on the higher difficulty modes because the swarms are massive. Based on the book and not the movie, so the game has 4 different campaigns in 4 different countries (USA, Israel, Russia, Japan) with 4 different playable characters for each country. You don't play as Brad Pitt. It's a lot of fun, but there are a lot of stability issues when it comes to playing online. The game will sometimes crash at the load screen, but good news is I've never had a mid-game crash, so if you get past the first hurdle, you should be good to go. It has both PVE and PVP modes similar to L4D's too. For the price and what you get I think it's a good deal. If you loved L4D definitely worth a look. 
  • Ok ok ok

Risk of Rain 2 (PC): It's fun, it's hard, it's much better co-op than single player, it still needs some improvements. There need to be more boss and enemy varieties and a few more maps mostly, and I sure wish the teleporter was easier to find. I think being able to hold two unique ability items would be rad, too, because you end up just sort of settling on one and never getting to try another in each run. The game handles motion really well and when you get to be able to triple or quad jump and use the class that can teleport it just becomes this fast, flowly, fun time. The shooty stuff works well and feels fine. Some of the planets are quite striking at first. I think you should start with more than just 1 class unlocked. They don't have to give all 8 or whatever but at least a few would be nice. It's still in beta so who knows. It's pretty fun. Great co-op. Probably has a shelf life of like 15-20 hours of game time though.

Monster Hunter: World (PC): I played a decent chunk on PS4 and have been trying to play my PC copy a bit more. Trying is the key word here. I've only gotten the first few achievements, done a handful of investigations and haven't even mounted a monster yet. So really early. 

Borderlands 2 (PC): I liked Borderlands, then hated Borderlands, now I'm somewhere in between as I start up BL2 again. There are so many times the writing is actually kind of funny and transgressive in a good way and then other times it's just stupendously cringey, painful, and immature in a bad way. It hasn't aged super well, either. Picking up ammo sucks. Starting inventory size should be bigger. The stores are completely useless. Bullet sponges are a real thing. The main city or whatever is really quite empty and soulless even for the time this game came out. Some of the enemy camp locations are just annoying more than fun or challenging. Still, it shoots pretty well, is funny some times, and the loot mechanics are nice. It's a game that can look really, really pretty still too. It doesn't make you spend an ungodly amount of time transversing nothing like other shooters that take this open world design do. I'll keep playing until I don't, I guess, but maybe there's more hope for 3 than I originally had. Or maybe not. Or MAYBE nothing matters.

Overwatch (PC): I have played only like 6 matches in the new event and have no new skins yet. I have like 19k coins but don't want to use them all. I'll see if I can work on this some but I doubt it. I've gotten enough time with Baptiste to feel alright with him. Had a couple great Widow rounds.
  • Another month rolls by.

Days Gone - The press kinda shit all over this one but I didn't think it was too bad. The motorcycle maintenance was a bit annoying early on but after you level it up a bit it was OK. It's also a pity it came out on top of World War Z which did zombie hordes so much better, since the hordes were a big part of the marketing (and yet surprisingly few and far between in the actual game). Definitely not up to par with some of the other recent Sony exclusives but also definitely not a bad game. It has a very Last of Us feel to it, but doesn't execute anywhere near as well.

World War Z - The grind is immense in this game, but it's almost over. This game is so damn good. They have fixed up a lot of the server issues too. I haven't been disconnected or crashed for a long time now. If you liked Left 4 Dead at all you really should give this a go.

Rage 2 - The combat is sort of fun. The rest of the game blows. The game is another post-apocalyptic pointless open world single player game with micro-transactions crudely shoved in. The devs had the balls to throw shade at Far Cry New Dawn but New Dawn is easily the better game. Jim Sterling did a great video on everything wrong with the game. After Rage 1 was such a flop I was expecting more from Rage 2, but nope, another dud. I think we can already see the fork in the arse of this one. It's done. No Rage 3.

Borderlands 2 - Playing through it again with friends after we did Borderlands 1. We'll move on to the Pre-Sequel after this. BL3 will hopefully be good despite Randy having touched it.

See you in a month!
  • KH3:
    I'm in Twilight town at the beginning of the game. The writing is really fucking bad, and not in the acid trippy way of the second game. It's as if they didn't realise that their target audience had all grown up. They should have gotten some pixar level writers to translate and do a complete rewrite so that's it's not so abominable. 

The writing aside: it's beautiful and I'm really loving the soundtrack. The combat lacks depth, but knowing this series it will expand and greatly improve over time. Also: the gummi ships seems to have been greatly improved as well, so that's a plus!
  • Offworld Trading Company (PC): I did most of the tutorial. Seemed fine. Nifty but not particularly game changing strategy/sim builder game.

Mordhau (PC): I did most of the tutorial. Genuinely funny. Also just don't really have the time to commit to PvP in a game like this, so if I play it'll be against AI. Unforgiving combat for sure.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC): I started a new file/team. This is a very good game that I just stalled out around 20 hours previously, not out of anything it did wrong. I changed from normal difficulty to story mode to try to blaze through it. How well written and designed this game gives me a lot hope for these folks making a good Baldur's Gate 3, assuming that the leak is true, which it sure looks like.
  • Another month rolls by....

So I think we can definitely say that CD Projekt Red owned E3 this year. Hideo Kojima can recruit whoever he wants; nothing is going to beat the giant dong CDPR put on the table by announcing (and managing to keep secret for so long) that John Wick would be a main character in Cyberpunk 2077.

It's sad, yet not surprising, that butt-hurt SJW types are trying to make something out of nothing to get click bait negativity generated around a game and a project that deserves nothing but support from the gaming community. Mike Pondsmith should be a wet dream for SJW 'empowerment' propaganda, and instead he has to defend his baby from accusations of racism. Get fucked. Get full proper fucked.

As for what I've been playing,

Overwatch - As always

World War Z - Platted it. Liked the new free DLC. Looking forward to more.

Rage 2 - Platted it. Don't care about the new DLC.

Fallout 76 Battle Royale Mode - No, not really. I just enjoy typing that. Good work Bethesda, for providing the internet with another year's supply of meme-worthy cringe.

• Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC): This game is fantastic. The emphasis on powerful generals in romance mode is a really cool narrative touch, and doesn't really make it less strategic, it just focuses a little less strategy on troop stamina and movement, and more on interpersonal relationships and managing the generals happiness and stats. It's a very complex game but one you can pretty much pick up what you need within a few hours of just noodling around with an easy starting position. My biggest complaints are I wish they made it easier to get very specific breakdowns on income and food sources. Late game they can fluctuate wildly, and managing production, tax, trade agreements, and all the other things that can contribute to this can be tricky. There's a very simple breakdown accessible from the main page but it doesn't allow for tweaks or specification you really need. The other only complaint I have is that it feels like diplomacy is really heavily weighted towards never doing a single thing nice towards the enemy of a friend unless you want that friend to unequivocally hate you forever, which seems a bit reductive from a diplomatic standpoint. Otherwise, this game makes time absolutely melt by and is super elegant and compelling and fun.

Final Fantasy VII (PC): I am slowly working my way through another playthrough of this. I just got the huge materia at Fort Condor and am headed to Corel Reactor next. I say this every 5 years or so when I replay it, but it still holds up pretty darn well. Well balanced enemy encounter rate, still a story that's messy but full of really good ideas and values, outside of Cloud a good cast of characters, and still has killer music. 
  • Well, it's September...

I can't remember everything played since last posting, so here are just the recent games:

Gears 5 - I'm not feeling it. I don't think the open world does anything for it. It's just empty space for the most part. The campaign in terms of story is OK, and having 3 player co-op is fun, but I don't know, it's not really gripping me. The new game mode, Escape, is not my thing, nor is PvP, and sadly even this iteration of Horde is a bit awful imo. The microtransactions have nothing micro about them. They are crazy expensive for a bunch of uninspired skins.

Remnant From The Ashes - Brilliant game. A third-person shooter with some Souls influence, random maps, accessible multiplayer. fun enemies and bosses. And reasonably priced! Give it a go.

A Plague Tale - If you enjoy story-driven games give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised by this.

Blair Witch - What crap. If you want to walk around dark woods clicking on things, engaging in wank combat, and enduring one of the most painfully boring end sequences in a while, this is your game. 

See ya 'round NoobToob! You've become that old football on the lawn that nobody wants to kick around anymore. 
  • Final Fantasy VII (PC): Made a bit more progress and finished up the Cid required parts. Sadly those are the parts with some of the longest and worst written cutscenes.

Overwatch (PC): Played a bit of Sigma and just messed around in general, had a 6 game win streak in which I nabbed at least 2 gold medals in every match and 3 play of the games. Nice. Not really a fan of Sigma so far. Don't like having more shields in the game.

Remnant From The Ashes (PC): I cleared the first sort of tutorial fight and that's it. I think I'll like this game a lot. I just need to have a good block of time set aside to do so. 

Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition (PC): Our D&D group inspired me to bust out some good D&D video games again. I cleared the first two of four areas in the city so far with my monk dude. Know the first 1/3 of this game or so still like the back of my hand. What a good series. Sucks that both NWN and KOTOR tapped out after 2 games each. 

Path of Exile (PC): Got my ascendancy class with an alt character. Might try the tower defense stuff out, might just end up playing the game itself since I have a mid game alt still to use. We were really spoiled with these types of games for awhile. PoE, Diablo 3, Torchlight, several others all did this game so well for a time there. Will be interested to see where the 2020s take us with this type of game given games as service models.