Noobtoob's Week in Gaming: 12/11/18
  • OK, let's try and get these back on track (no Forza-related puns intended)...

(XB1) Forza Horizon 4 I've plugged away at the missions to get most of them to completion - I stopped going through the British Racing Green ones as the lady doing the voice over was a little grating (well, they all are, so maybe I'd just reached the end of my patience after marathoning through all the other ones) and I skipped the Drift Club ones all together as drifting just feels completely unnatural to me - we've talked about it before but I can hold a reasonably competent drift in the supposedly more realistic, more challenging Forza Motorsport but in Horizon I'm in a ditch as soon as I touch the right trigger.

By the time I'd done that, I got to the point that I eventually always get to in Forza games of buying and tuning up cars that I just fancy owning either because they look cool, or I have a funny idea about driving a car in a particular way or I just think it'll be fun to pedal around in.  Whilst I will recognise that Horizon has one enormous advantage over Motorsport, in that you can build a car like that and then rock up to almost any race on the map and you'll be able to do that race in that car, whereas Motorsport sticks much more rigidly to a car type/class structure, at the end of the day if I'm building (for argument's sake) a turbo'd Mazda Mk1 MX-5 in the style of the old BBR conversions because I think it'll be fun to drive, I'd much rather be doing it in a game where I actually like the physics model.  I think that might be the end of what has been a pretty intense period of playing FH4 for me - next time I turn a wheel on my Xbox it'll probably be in FM7.

(XB1) Doom As mentioned last week, this is one of the current-gen games that I was looking forward to trying when I bought my One S back in May.  I've only played through the first chapter and then a little extra but I like what I see so far.  This is my first non-football, non-car, non-Minecraft current gen game and even though it isn't on a One X or PS4 Pro it's still kind of blowing my eyeballs out my butt.  The monster designs are a little hard to figure out when they are moving around so rapidly, the environments are so busy that it's sometimes hard to figure out what's going on and (in the early stages at least) the game is very, very, very red, but overall it hangs together really well and moves at an impressive clip.

I'm getting my Id FPS legs back so it's all a little madcap at the moment, and I've only had the first taste of the story so I'm looking forward to getting into it a little more.  I like that the game knows exactly what it is and how seriously to take itself - from the corporate tannoy calmly announcing a demonic invasion to the late title card plus shotgun-cocking-in-time-to-the-music, the game has its forked demon-tongue thrust firmly into cheek.  Hopefully the combat continues to evolve as everything moves so quickly and you're constantly chasing the glory kills, if it stays like that I could see it getting a little wearing.  For now, though, I'm very much up for what Doom is putting down.

OK, that's it for me.  What have you been up to?
  • DOOM's combat doesn't really evolve, you just get bigger guns.

Overwatch - Still playing ranked, still sinking like a stone in SR.

Gears of War 4 - Playing horde with friends.

Dark Souls Remastered - Still going through on the Switch. DSR is strange on Switch, it has the gameplay changes of the remaster, but the graphics of the original version. I'm missing out on all the jolly co-operation though, because I refuse to pay for Nintendo Online. BTW Thanks Nintendo for making Splatoon 2, a game I've been able to play online for the past year or 2, a pay-to-play game! On the bright side Splatoon 1's community on WiiU has become a lot more active since Nintendo Online launched.

• God of War:
    Spending my time finding artifacts, killing Valkyries, and gathering mist so I can plat this game in one playthrough. The game really rewards exploration, even more so than I initially thought. Still wish there were difficulty based trophies. 
  • I think I have been away a few weeks longer than WiG was absent soooo.....I'll try and do an all encapsulating post to catch people up.

As far as I can remember the last I wrote, I had just completed and platinumed Marvel's Spiderman. Fucking good game that. Possibly my game of the year.

Since then (in no particular order):

Read Dead Redemption 2 has been taking up the majority of my time. The game controls like garbage and everything is so slow. The world, characters and storyline are pulling me in deeper and deeper every time I play though.

I don't do the whole roleplay as my character bollocks, but I am literally playing the game like I was Arthur Morgan. I found myself going and getting a haircut, bath and shave before I went on a mission with Arthurs love interest. I started thinking "Lee what the fuck are you doing" but I couldn't help in the back of my mind wondering, "Will Mary prefer Arthur clean and shaved". What I'm trying to say is the game has hooked me, in a way no game has before.

WWE 2k19. The game feels significantly better this year. The career mode is a much more fun too. Still not a perfect game but much better, if you are a WWE fan it's the best game you have. What you gonna do? Not buy it I suppose. What I'm trying to say is that the game is increasingly reminiscent of the actual WWE. The product is average but you stick with it because you don't know anything different (it's a fucking shame about Roman though, holy shit).

I've also been doing a few Dead Cells runs here and there. I can now cling to walls like Spiderman (I like spiderman, RIP Stan). That's cool. This is the only side scrolling rouge like that has ever hooked me. I love doing a run every now and again. No main goal in mind just playing and seeing where I get to.(Quick spoiler) It's never the last boss (ever, I just suck).

I've also played a little more Forza Horizon 4 and shockingly some Rainbow 6 Siege both games fun to just waste a bit of time on while watching wrestling or listening to a podcast.

I've picked up South Park Fractured But Whole and the Spiderman DLC in a sale but haven't spent any time in those yet. Maybe I will in time for next week.
  • @nutta27 How bad are the Red Dead controls on a scale of 1-10? I can appreciate good writing, but if I'm fighting the controls; it's not worth it. I already went through that crap with Mass Effect. 
  • It's not unplayable. You get used to the slow to react controls and in some way it really works with the pace of the game. The horse controls can be a pain and still to this day. About 40 hours into the game I sometimes accidentally run over a predestrian in town and end up with an unnecessary bounty that needs paying off for killing a fella.

I'd say a solid 7 just for how clumsy it can be sometimes.

I will say however the shooting feels great to me. There is a very strong autoaim and sometimes it feels all I need to do is pop aim move the right stick up a smudge and I rain in the head shots. Dead eye is kinda unnecessary to a point.

I personally feel it's worth it the world and game is incredible. I have spent countless hours just wandering around the world. Living the life of an outlaw.

On another subject. I did another Dead Cells run last night. Started it at midnight. Expecting it to last an hour. It lasted 3. I got to the final level and died before getting to the final boss. I had a decent set of weapons and everything. I actually think I may get a complete run in soon (exciting).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week