Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - News & Pre-Discussion Thread

Since this is basically a Soulsborne fan-forum lately, let's get a topic going for Sekiro before it releases. Anyone else curious, excited, intriguged, hesitant from Activision? Let's dive into FromSoftware's cool looking new IP.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an upcoming action-adventure game played from a third-person view, set in the Sengoku period of feudal Japan in the late 16th century. Although compared to FromSoftware's Souls series, the game features no role-playing game elements, such as classes and equipment upgrades, as well as having no multiplayerelements. In addition, death mechanics in Sekiro were changed in comparison with the Souls games, with no souls to reclaim after death, with players dying being revived on the spot without need for checkpoint bonfires.For the story, the player takes control of a warrior named Sekiro with a prosthetic arm who wields a sword and grappling hook, whose goal is to rescue his master, a young lord, and get revenge on his archenemy.

• I almost feel bad for Nioh 2.  The first Nioh was a great game and it filled that Souls-shaped hole since it came out a year after Dark Souls 3.  Not sure if you guys played it, but it was legit a feudal Japan Souls game.  (Off topic, but the wiki site painted the fans of the game in a way that they refused to acknowledge that Nioh and Souls were similar enough to compare.  It's honestly laughable.  There's even an article on the front page called Why Nioh isn't a Dark Souls Clone.  Spoilers: It is.)

But now that From is actually making a Japanese centered Souls clone AND Nioh 2 is also in the works, it could be pretty bad for Team Ninja.  Though Nioh was such a good Souls clone that once I'm finished with Sekiro, I'm definitely going to hit up Nioh 2.

From the gameplay, Sekiro seems to follow the more fast pace combat of Bloodborne.  And this is a good thing.  I actually kind of hope this is going to be the spiritual successor to Bloodborne.  One that isn't eternally locked behind a single console.  Like Demon Souls, Bloodborne will be eventually phased out and forgotten, while all the other Souls games can breathe on many platforms, particularly PC.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm really excited by the games theme, gameplay, as well as it's availability.  Definitely one of the most exciting things to come from E3.
  • I concur with all of the above. I thought Nioh was a great game, and I'm happy there's a Nioh 2, but I feel bad for it. People are going to have games like Sekiro and Tsushima vying for their attention, they might get samurai fatigued. 

I think I'm one of the few people in the world that doesn't want a Bloodborne 2, ever. Bloodborne was a bloody masterpiece, and a complete package. I'm more than happy for a game like Sekiro to replace it and become a franchise. It looks like a game that would lend itself more easily to sequels than Bloodborne as well. 

• No customization really aside from the prosthetic arm.

And FromSoftware said it's a solely singleplayer title.
  • Congrats on the new GOTY From!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week