Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - News & Pre-Discussion Thread

Since this is basically a Soulsborne fan-forum lately, let's get a topic going for Sekiro before it releases. Anyone else curious, excited, intriguged, hesitant from Activision? Let's dive into FromSoftware's cool looking new IP.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an upcoming action-adventure game played from a third-person view, set in the Sengoku period of feudal Japan in the late 16th century. Although compared to FromSoftware's Souls series, the game features no role-playing game elements, such as classes and equipment upgrades, as well as having no multiplayerelements. In addition, death mechanics in Sekiro were changed in comparison with the Souls games, with no souls to reclaim after death, with players dying being revived on the spot without need for checkpoint bonfires.For the story, the player takes control of a warrior named Sekiro with a prosthetic arm who wields a sword and grappling hook, whose goal is to rescue his master, a young lord, and get revenge on his archenemy.

• I almost feel bad for Nioh 2.  The first Nioh was a great game and it filled that Souls-shaped hole since it came out a year after Dark Souls 3.  Not sure if you guys played it, but it was legit a feudal Japan Souls game.  (Off topic, but the wiki site painted the fans of the game in a way that they refused to acknowledge that Nioh and Souls were similar enough to compare.  It's honestly laughable.  There's even an article on the front page called Why Nioh isn't a Dark Souls Clone.  Spoilers: It is.)

But now that From is actually making a Japanese centered Souls clone AND Nioh 2 is also in the works, it could be pretty bad for Team Ninja.  Though Nioh was such a good Souls clone that once I'm finished with Sekiro, I'm definitely going to hit up Nioh 2.

From the gameplay, Sekiro seems to follow the more fast pace combat of Bloodborne.  And this is a good thing.  I actually kind of hope this is going to be the spiritual successor to Bloodborne.  One that isn't eternally locked behind a single console.  Like Demon Souls, Bloodborne will be eventually phased out and forgotten, while all the other Souls games can breathe on many platforms, particularly PC.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'm really excited by the games theme, gameplay, as well as it's availability.  Definitely one of the most exciting things to come from E3.
  • I concur with all of the above. I thought Nioh was a great game, and I'm happy there's a Nioh 2, but I feel bad for it. People are going to have games like Sekiro and Tsushima vying for their attention, they might get samurai fatigued. 

I think I'm one of the few people in the world that doesn't want a Bloodborne 2, ever. Bloodborne was a bloody masterpiece, and a complete package. I'm more than happy for a game like Sekiro to replace it and become a franchise. It looks like a game that would lend itself more easily to sequels than Bloodborne as well. 

• No customization really aside from the prosthetic arm.

And FromSoftware said it's a solely singleplayer title.
  • Congrats on the new GOTY From!

• This game looks amazing. I'm excited to see it come out, now.  I think this will be Mr. TC's birthday gift :)
  • Just over a week to go. Hype Train Toot Toot!

Impressions video from lobosjr below.

• Really looking forward to this.
  • How are people finding it?

I'm enjoying it, but this is some brutal shit. It shares some similarities with Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but it is a very different game. It's much harder than Soulsborne games, and not just because you can't summon help. The enemies hit hard, you don't, and healing is scarce. Every time you die you lose about half your accumulated xp and money, with no chance to reclaim either of them, so in that way it is similar yet even more punishing than Souls. There is very little in the way of build customisation. You get a sword, some unlockable skills, and a prosthetic arm that can have up to 3 different attachments on it at once. These attachments are things like throwing stars, flamethrowers, and an axe. All of these are obtainable fairly early in the game. If you loved Dark Souls/Bloodborne for the variety in builds and/or pvp, Sekiro may disappoint you.

The grappling hook is fun and has a very Spiderman feel to it. It also allows you to engage or escape enemies from multiple angles. You can use it to break line of sight with enemies so that they stop pursuing you, but this won't work with named enemies, who always know where you are once they spot you.

The game is very stealth-focused, and I feel like this is From Software doing a modern Tenchu, much like Demons' Souls was a revamped Kings Field back in the day. Like I said I'm enjoying it, but it is punishingly hard at times (reminds me a bit of Ninja Gaiden). Without the multiplayer aspect or the ability to create different builds, I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it once I finish it though.
  • Jim Sterling's review confirmed my suspicions. An all parry, no friends Souls game sounds unpleasant. I needs my Souls game to have some cheesy options, or at least some patient options. All parry, no thanks.
  • You basically have 2 options for every combat encounter, assuming you can't get a 1 shot stealth kill: you either learn the timing of enemy attacks and parry them, or you can dash in dash out for a quick hit here and there. The latter technique will take ages to kill anything though.

I saw Jim Sterling's video and agree with it. The game has basically been built around one combat mechanic and if you suck at it, you are going to struggle. Even if you're good at it, you're going to get game over'd a lot. To me, it feels like playing a rhythm game with only one button, and I'm not a huge fan of it. The combat is solid, and good in it's own way, but I miss the variety of options available in Souls or Bloodborne. Everything else about the game is great. The bosses are interesting, the world is interesting, visually looks great, soundtrack is excellent, the stealth and grappling can be fun, and the prosthetic arm has some cool gizmos, not a lot of complaints really. It's just the one-pattern combat that's getting old for me. 

Anyway, I've done 2 of the 4 possible endings now. I'll see it through for the plat. After that though? With no co-op to keep me interested, I might be done with it. That makes me sad.

P.S. Fuck Terror status effects. This is basically Sekiro's answer to the Frenzy attacks of Bloodborne, where if your meter fills you die instantly. Yeah, that shit's here too. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week