God Of War (PS4)
  • Thought I'd start an official discussion thread about the game. I'm picking it up day 1, and looking forward to seeing what they've done with it. 

I'm feeling a bit better after hearing that they do explain in the game how Kratos went from murder man to the more mild Kratos shown in the trailers. I haven't heard how they do this, only that they do. 

Just a few more days now. 

And for a refresher on the story so far.

• Still never played one of these.  Even with this version being a very different game, I should probably pick up 3 for the PS3 just so I can say I've played it at some point, right?
  • They released the GOW Saga on PS3 which had every game except Ascension in it. Worth a look if you can get it. It's a great series, especially if you're into Greek mythology at all.
  • So I've put in a good few hours and I really really like the game.  And it wasn't the character butcher that it could have been.  It's obvious that Kratos is fully aware of his past and is still kind of dealing with it, while also trying to be a father.

What I find interesting though is that I feel like the guys at Santa Monica Studios played Hellblade and decided that's what they wanted to do.  In combat, and even down to the Norse mythology.  It's more over-the-shoulder camera oriented now.  And combat has slowed down so that it's more reactive than just going in and mashing buttons.  And I'm not going to lie, I do kind of miss the frantic combat of the original.  But at least they took out like, 99% of all button mashing QTEs, which I appreciate beyond words.  Opening chests and doors and such is just a single button now, which I was hoping for. 

I really love the cinematography and acting.  It's clear they are going for a much more cinematic form of storytelling, and it's good.  Like, on the level with Uncharted.  But yeah, these are just initial thoughts as I still have a long way to go.
  • It's ok so far. I just met the crafter dude who made your axe. So I guess I've done the whole tutorial/opening section. The boss fights have been largely meh. The enemy design is pretty boring. The writing is ok, I like the dynamic between father and son a lot, and I like the tragic feel to much of it, but in a way Kratos is even more of an asshole now because of how he treats his son, as opposed to just being flat angry murder dude. I don't like how it helps to control your son's arrow shooting mid-combat. It's not a deal breaker nor is it a huge difference in fights, but it helps and feels more like a chore than anything. The soundtrack is good. The sense of scale is lessened. I would say combat is simple but feels relatively fluid and responsive. I really like how quiet the game starts compared to previous entries; it's literally just silent characters in the woods with ambient sounds like animals and the breeze. It was a really neat scene-setting dichotomy. Moments like that are tantalizing, but I don't feel, ultimately, super engrossed in the game. I'm just not 100% sold yet. The first felt so awe-inspiring in its scale and presentation. Maybe that's too high a standard. Even 2 and CoO and 3, while I liked them, weren't quite as inspiring. We'll see. 
  • I've played a pretty fair chunk of this now. My feelings that I posted in the WiG haven't changed. It's a bloody well made game that unfortunately has little in the originality department to offer. I'm enjoying it, but it didn't need to be a GOW game. Kratos has become somehow worse as a character. He's now just mean and boring. This game has nowhere near the humour of the old games, it takes itself far too seriously. The one camera shot for the whole game is a nice idea, but better left in the film industry imo. Unskippable cut scenes, long drawn out walks, the ridiculous running around in circles waiting for your teleport door to load the area you want to go to, are all things I could have lived without. Oh, and the trolls. Jesus. How many times do we have to fight the same mini-boss? "Oh, but they have different elemental attacks, so they are all different" you might say in protest. Bullshit, they all attack pretty much the same. Whether they are hitting me with an ice rock or a fire rock is of little consequence. The complete lack of platforming and puzzles is also regrettable. There are a few puzzles I suppose, but nothing that's any challenge. All the challenge in this game comes from the combat and the damage sponge enemies. Combat feels more like whittling down wood than the orb-showering massacres of old, and as predicted, the new format can't allow for anywhere near the spectacle of the old games. In short, the game is fun, but doesn't scratch the GOW itch. It's like giving morphine to a man for his hemorrhoids. Feels good for sure, but he's still bleeding all over the chair.
  • Finished it. Great game. Not the best game on the console (because that will always be Bloodborne), but this is pretty friggin' good. If you're familiar with Norse mythology, you will enjoy the way they've weaved Kratos into the mythos. The game does make you wait for that story though, and the ending...such ambivalence. I thought it was well done but it was also such sequel bait it annoyed me. I want more but I also know it's going to be years before I get it. Other than that though, my thoughts above still stand. Get ready to fight lots of trolls. Lots and lots of trolls.
    Noobied by 1sloth

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week