How does everyone feel about the new God of War?
  • I'm having mixed feelings about it. I loved the old games, except for the Tekken Zeus fight at the end of GoW 3. Kratos was always a simple man, full of nothing but rage and violence, performing said violence in spectacular QTE-fuelled battles with monsters the size of dump trucks. The new Kratos, a family man with a young son that he's raising out in the wilds, now armed with boomerang axes fighting Dark Souls style in The Last of Us. I dunno. I'm sure they can make a good game out of it, but it doesn't feel like God Of War. I can't imagine how they can possibly have the old spectacle battles in the new combat system. Axes? Compared to the chain swords? Fuck off. And of course the new touchy feely daddy Kratos. That isn't Kratos. Couldn't we have a new guy be the Norse God of War? Did we have to go meddle with Kratos? It feels like they've made so many changes that there is nothing left of the original, besides the war paint. Resident Evil has shaken up their gameplay formula over the years but they never fucked with the characters. This feels like they're trying to take Jason Vorhees and build The Brady Bunch around him. It just doesn't go. 

Anyway, what do you think? Excited? Not excited? Spill it.
  • I generally agree with you as this is a drastic change from the norm.  But Got of War has used the exact unchanged formula for 13 years.  And some of those tropes are now a little outdated.  QTEs for everything eye rollingly annoying to me.  I just want to open a door or a chest, I should have a test of button pressing to do so.

Honestly, I kind of look at it like I did Devil May Cry.  I'm a huge fan of the series, and when I saw all the promotional stuff for DMC: Devil May Cry, I was incredibly disconcerted.  It was such a huge departure from what I knew and loved.  But as I started actually getting into the game, I ended up liking it.  Was it the same as the originals?  No.  But it wast still a good game.

And that's kind of how I'm looking at GoW5.  Maybe a more cinematic experience will breath new life into the franchise.  And while a more simple looking axe versus the Blades of Chaos seems like a downgrade, maybe the combat will still feel just as good.  And honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised after a big turning point, Kratos would be reunited with the Blades of Chaos...
    Noobied by 1Dr Flibble
  • True, the chain blades could make an appearance later in the game, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool with that combat system. I hope they prove me wrong. I'm not against changing the formula, if it's necessary and adds something. Yakuza has been pretty much the same game since the beginning and it's still going strong. How many games into COD now are we? Mario is still jumping on Goombas 30 years later. GOW has changed everything, seemingly for the sake of change. Take away the Kratos body paint, and this game would be unrecognisable as a GOW game. How would the Overwatch community react if Overwatch 2 was a horror-themed platformer, with a whole new cast of characters besides Tracer? What if the Tomb Raider revamp had been an FPS with an overweight nobody from suburbia named Lara as the protagonist?

I also want to know how Kratos went from the man who casually murdered anyone he came across and drowned the entire world in his rampage against the Gods to becoming Grizzly Adams and son. The DMC point is interesting. I was never much of a DMC fan so that whole scandal passed me by, but from what I remember the new DMC didn't do much other than a change in art style. Dante was still pretty much Dante, and the gameplay was still fairly similar, wasn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong. What's going on here is basically an entirely new game with a Kratos skin in it. It feels to me more like how you could play with an Aloy skin from Horizon Zero Dawn in Monster Hunter World, and even that would still be closer than the new GOW is to the old.

As far as QTEs go I can understand why people hate them. I do too. They were overused. But the QTE was made a thing by GOW because of how well they were done in that game. They suited the types of battles they were in, where the camera would pull back or zoom in during the battle to give you the coolest vantage point over the slaughter Kratos was inflicting. Look at the next game's gameplay and it looks like it will suffer from Dark Souls-itis where you spend 10 minutes hacking at a pair of ankles and have no idea what's going on above, which I'm fine with btw, it's just not what I want from a GOW game.
  • The difference between DMC: Devil May Cry and the original franchise was pretty stark, not even including the art style.  The combat system was scrapped and completely redone by the people who did Heavenly Sword (which the new combat was almost directly copied from).  The new Dante was also made out to be a snot-nosed asshole, instead of the traditional calm, cool, collected, and sometimes silly Dante.  In fact, one of the promotional trailers had new Dante openly mocking old Dante's style. But by the end of it, he kind of comes back into the Dante persona I know and love.  Combat took a bit of getting used to as well, but overall, I was happy with it.

But yeah back to GoW5.  I still agree mostly with everything you've pointed out as all of it has basis in truth.  It really is a dramatic change from the norm.  But I'm just trying to keep a more optimistic approach to it.  I'm hoping it can be different and still be good.

• I am looking forward to it quite a bit. I think it will be very different from it's predecessors, and I think that is needed. I tried to replay Darksiders 2, and it just felt way too dated. I do not want to juggle fools in 2018. Also kind of tired of screamy Kratos. I would bet folding money that it will be polished and quite good. Will it be truly great? I dunno about that. It will be a stark contrast to Sea of Thieves, in the basic competence of first party offerings.
  • Well, hard to get a better review than this. Looking forward to playing it. 

• Overall, the reviews seem similar to the reviews for Horizon. There are no new ideas, but all the borrowed ideas are well executed and beautifully put together. An excellent example of a modern game, but specifically not a revolution. Can't wait, driving a 911 will not reinvent driving, but the latest model is always great example of current technology.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week