Noobtoob's Week in Gaming: 26/03/2018
  • Finished the main story in Dark Souls 2. The last few bosses were a joke with a plus 5 Staff of Wisdom, 20 Soul Spears, and 6 Soul Geysers. I could have gotten cheesier, but no need. Circle right, dodge, blast, repeat.

Shrine of Amana was the toughest. Souliest part for me. My own soul arrow cheese in my face. That and cliffs you cannot see because of the waist deep water. From Software has a patent on invisible cliffs.

Might see if trophy for all sorceries is easily in reach, but I am not going to annoy myself after a positive Souls experience. I may even explore some of the DLC blind. Who knows.
  • Monster Hunter World - The day after I platted it some free DLC dropped with a new monster to hunt. Killed Deviljho a few times then started a second character, a female this time so I can check out the armours and rock different weapons. Between the 2 characters I probably have about 500 hours on the clock now.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 - On mission 50 or so now, roughly halfway through the game. I was a bit hyped for the giant robots and monsters that were included for the PS4 release but damn was that a waste of hype. So far I've seen 1 monster, and the mission where you jump in a giant robot and punch the crap out of it was very underwhelming. I prefer just mowing down hordes with lasers and rockets.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - After a long hiatus, I finally went back to this. I'm still not feeling it, but I'll try to stick with it to the end this time. It's a finely made Ubisoft-formula clone game.

The trophy for all sorceries in DS2 is one of the last you can get iirc. You either need to do a lot of PVP or get to Nashandra's castle in playthrough #3 and buy the covenant spells from the shop there.
  • Can confirm, Shrine of Amana is the worst part of DS2.  DLC is totally worth it though.  Crown of the Old Iron King, in particular, is pretty good.

Vermintide 2 - Still grinding out champion difficulty in an attempt to get to 600 hero power.  Sitting at about 550, and it's a very slow process.  Specially when you're trying to just complete a map, but randos insist on grabbing all tomes and grimoires, meaning incredibly low life and no healing.  At this point, I'm probably at the point where I'm going to stop playing regularly.  But it's still a really fun game.

Okami HD - Made it to the Dragon Palace, so I'm a good bit past the half-way point.  Still enjoying every bit of it.  A few of my friends are playing Ni No Kuni 2 and seem to be having a hard time enjoying it, and here I am playing a 12 year old masterpiece that hasn't aged a day.
  • (PS3) Valkyria Chronicles Have been experimenting with the orders - the one that gets your whole team to up their defence for only two action points is a bit OP.  You can run squishy units like snipers and engineers right past enemy tanks (which would normally chew them to pieces in a matter of seconds) and they barely sustain a scratch.
    Story-wise, the Imperial baddies have just locked a load of people in concentration camp barracks and set fire to them.  I wasn't expecting that when the game kicked off as the jolly adventure of one botanist and his tank...
    Thanks for keeping up with the posting @westsw
  • Far Cry 5 - Took a gamble and picked this up today. I have a mixed history with this series, I thought the first game was rather meh, hated the second, enjoyed the third and fourth, couldn't give a toss about Primal, and then thought the fifth was going to be like falling into some histrionic American liberal's nightmare about conservatives but thought what the fuck, might be good for a laugh. Turns out this is on course to becoming my favourite game in the series. It's a ton of fun. The story and writing is good so far, it's like David Koresh' band of nutters on steroids, with a cast of interesting characters on both sides. Crafting has been demoted to the sidelines, you only craft munitions and potions, while things like holsters and inventory space are now bought with perk points that you earn through completing missions or challenges. And those missions have been fun so far. No sign of repetitive fetch quests and no network of towers to climb to unlock map pieces and more stupid busywork quests. The game makes jokes at it's own expense, such as the series' history of tower climbing, and the balance between grim and comical is spot on. The Father is the best villain in the series so far. He's a nutcase, but he has other angles too. He's not as one-dimensional as Vaas or the blonde dude from FC4 were. If you like Far Cry get it. If you, like me, were cautious about this game because of Ubi-formula fatigue, get it. 
  • Happy Easter and all that.

Right, Far Cry 5. Finished it yesterday, almost at 100% completion. This game is great. It's not perfect, and some things could have been done better, but that will always be the case about everything ever made. Easily my favourite Far Cry. I imagine this is how the Ass Creed fans felt with Origins (which I haven't played yet so can't judge it myself). If you're even remotely interested in the Far Cry series or the Ubi-formula, you need this.There are microtransactions in the game but they are completely insignificant in terms of impact on the game imo. I managed to buy plenty of vehicless and weapons and stuff just with the in-game money. All I can think is that people complaining about the lack of money must be just blasting through the story. If you're doing side quests, stashes, and hunting, you will have plenty of funds. Also, people are saying this game is too politicised and trashes the right wing, but I have to say there's just as much being said of the left as there is the right. Depends how you look at it. First Monster Hunter, now this, 2018 is spoiling me.