Monster Hunter: World - News & Pre-Discussion Thread

Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows
    Release Date: January 26th, 2018

Monster Hunter: World is an upcoming action role-playing video game in development and to be published  by Capcom, and is the fifth primary title in their Monster Hunter franchise. The game was announced at Sony's E3 2017 conference, and is currently scheduled for a simultaneous worldwide release in January 2018; while it will only release for PlayStation 4 in Japan, it will launch with both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions in Western regions, with a Microsoft Windows release sometime afterwards. It will feature much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op, and will also allow players worldwide to play together, a first in the series.
    ---
    Monster Hunter World - Announcement Trailer

17 Minute Gameplay Video - IGN

Monster Hunter: World - Character Creation
  • This franchise is a massive time sink, so I'm reluctant to get caught in that web again, but at the same time, it's not a bad spider to be killed by. I haven't put any serious time into a MH game since 3 on the Wii, so it might be worth hopping back in with this one. Depends what else is on the horizon. I can already see Cyberpunk destroying my social life if it ever comes out. 
  • I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but hoo boy the reveal trailer caught my eye and got me interested. It looks like my cup of tea.
  • Anyone else tried the beta?
  • Shit that was the weekend wasn't it. I fully intended to give it a shot and forgot.

I played a little of generations and actually got into. Fell off when the switch came out unfortunately.
  • Yeah, it might be still going? I think it was until the 12th. 

Oh well, for those who didn't try it, but are familiar with the series, this one is more of the same. You're a hunter, you have a kitty sidekick, and you run around killing monsters to craft gear that allows you to go out and kill even bigger monsters in large wilderness maps, and you can do it with other people in online co-op. Come to think of it, it's like Destiny, only not a scam. There are also no loot boxes and shit like that. 

I think this game is going to be the bomb. It basically guarantees that any home without a PS4 in Japan is going to get one. The series is insanely popular there. It will be a massive time sink for sure, but it's been so long since the game was on a 'real' console that it's going to be new for many people. Can't wait. It might even be a day 1 buy, and I typically don't roll that way these days.

A clip showing the character creation screen and a bit of opening gameplay. Nothing spoilery. 

• I have it pre-ordered on the ole Xbox. I'm excited.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week