Monster Hunter: World - Official Thread

Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows
    Release Date: January 26th, 2018

Monster Hunter: World is an upcoming action role-playing video game in development and to be published  by Capcom, and is the fifth primary title in their Monster Hunter franchise. The game was announced at Sony's E3 2017 conference, and is currently scheduled for a simultaneous worldwide release in January 2018; while it will only release for PlayStation 4 in Japan, it will launch with both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions in Western regions, with a Microsoft Windows release sometime afterwards. It will feature much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op, and will also allow players worldwide to play together, a first in the series.
    ---
    Monster Hunter World - Announcement Trailer

17 Minute Gameplay Video - IGN

Monster Hunter: World - Character Creation
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • This franchise is a massive time sink, so I'm reluctant to get caught in that web again, but at the same time, it's not a bad spider to be killed by. I haven't put any serious time into a MH game since 3 on the Wii, so it might be worth hopping back in with this one. Depends what else is on the horizon. I can already see Cyberpunk destroying my social life if it ever comes out. 
  • I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but hoo boy the reveal trailer caught my eye and got me interested. It looks like my cup of tea.
  • Anyone else tried the beta?
  • Shit that was the weekend wasn't it. I fully intended to give it a shot and forgot.

I played a little of generations and actually got into. Fell off when the switch came out unfortunately.
  • Yeah, it might be still going? I think it was until the 12th. 

Oh well, for those who didn't try it, but are familiar with the series, this one is more of the same. You're a hunter, you have a kitty sidekick, and you run around killing monsters to craft gear that allows you to go out and kill even bigger monsters in large wilderness maps, and you can do it with other people in online co-op. Come to think of it, it's like Destiny, only not a scam. There are also no loot boxes and shit like that. 

I think this game is going to be the bomb. It basically guarantees that any home without a PS4 in Japan is going to get one. The series is insanely popular there. It will be a massive time sink for sure, but it's been so long since the game was on a 'real' console that it's going to be new for many people. Can't wait. It might even be a day 1 buy, and I typically don't roll that way these days.

A clip showing the character creation screen and a bit of opening gameplay. Nothing spoilery. 

• I have it pre-ordered on the ole Xbox. I'm excited.
  • I got my copy on PS4. Going to give it a rip today. I could've started yesterday but it was Australia Day and shit needed doing.
  • I picked this up on PS4 today! But I think it will be a bit before I have time to get into it. :p
  • I'll be picking it up on PS4 as well it seems. Had to cancel my Xbox preorder when I lost my job, but recently got a new one, and well. Maybe us folks could play together sometime.
  • Anyone else playing? I spent a few hours on it yesterday and probably more later today. I have few complaints so far. It's pretty damn good actually. Definitely worth checking out with the understanding that the game requires patience. Preparation is important. You need to eat, you need to forage, you need to research creatures, you need to hunt. But, once you get yourself set up, it's go time. 

I started out with one of the trick weapons because they look cool. It's a sword and shield that transforms into a giant 2-handed axe. Very Bloodborne. I also did some online missions jumping into SOS calls (any player can drop an SOS beacon if they find they need help and then other players can answer the call). Or you can go the more traditional route and organise a party and a quest from the get go.

I have 2 small gripes so far. First, the monsters are not very aggressive. They outright ignore you most of the time. Even the big meat eaters. 9 times out of 10 I can waltz into their lairs and loot them and they won't even react, making the stealth mechanic next to useless. Hopefully this is because I'm still low level and they are going easy on me. Otherwise, I hope they patch it. The second gripe I have is with the squad system. The game allows you to create a squad that can have up to 50 members (a clan system basically), and everyone is allowed to join up to 8 different squads. Sounds good. So I made a squad called "Noobtoob" in case people here might want to join it, only to discover 2 fatal flaws. There is no search function. You have to be invited to squads, and cannot request to join. Second, there is no way to invite friends who aren't currently in the game on the same server with you. So if I wanted to invite people from here to the squad they'd first have to join my game via the usual friend invite system, then after they are in the game with me I could send them an invite to the squad. Who da fuq designed this thinking that was a good idea? 

Other than that, great game. The trophy list looks reasonable too. 

• I'm digging this a lot. I turned my cat sidekick into a Watcher from Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. We then grinded the shit out of some dinosaurs to get parts for a weapon upgrade. I'm just finishing up the Coral Forest area storywise, I've been too preoccupied doing various SOS missions. What's everyone else doing?
  • Everyone seems surprised that this is such a sales success, but I was up in London with the family last weekend and there were posters for it all over Waterloo station - for whatever reason, Capcom have clearly decided to throw some marketing muscle behind this one.  Glad the series is getting wider reception, even though I've never played one myself.
  • They've made it a lot more accessible. I've been reading people complaining about it being dumbed down for the casuals and there may be some truth to that, but honestly I'm kinda glad they did. The old Monster Hunter were stupidly time consuming for even the smallest amount of progress, but this one has you chugging along at a pretty good rate. It's still a bit grindy, and you can still waste hundreds of hours here if you want to, so I don't see the big deal. I find it funny that some people are un-ironically calling it a Soulslike not realising this series has been with us since the PS2.

The entire campaign is basically a tutorial and setup for the real game. Once you get to hunter rank 10 or so (once you clear the main part of the story) you'll be able to access the high rank missions and that's where shit gets real. There's so many cool little things in the game too. It's definitely not a game for people with time constraints though.

I don't know how much longer I'll stay with the game. I like it and all but I'm not sure I can muster the commitment required to get to hunter rank 100. I've run into some players who are already high 30's and low 40's so maybe it's not as bad as I think it'll be, but it felt like it took a long time to get where I am.
  • I'm now done with the campaign. A few interesting things, the campaign continues and has a level cap of 16, so if you get to rank 16 you know you're getting near the end. After that, the level cap is removed, and all the XP you've earned in the game until that point is dropped on you, which sends your hunter rank suddenly skyrocketing if you've been grinding a bit. There are about 30 monsters total in the game.

A bit of advice for money, because you're going to need it. Be selective of your investigations. As you play through the game hundreds of these will unlock and many seem similar, but some of them have huge money bonuses. If you grind these, and use your daily reward coupons that double money rewards if you have them, you'll rake in a lot of money fairly quickly with minimal effort. You also want to build up your garden and unlock anything when you get the chance, and start planting Mighty Shroom as soon as possible. You can sell it for a pretty good price. You'll also get a hunter tool that makes monsters drop items just by hitting them. These items can't be used in crafting and exist only to be sold, and can be worth quite a bit. There's also a ship that will start visiting your base and you can select what sort of items it brings to trade. If you set this to trade items it will bring items you can buy with research points and then sell for real money.
  • I'm new to the Monster Hunter franchise, but I recently started Monster Hunter World and I'm loving it :D Beautiful environments, big gnarly dinosaur/dragon type monsters, cute cat sidekicks, and Poogie = win! I'm also loving the Insect Glaive because its a fun mix of several of the things I like in combat: a controllable pet, melee attacks combined with fancy ranged agility somersault goodness, and being able to JUMP ON THE MONSTERS BACKS WUT (I found out that mounting was a thing by accident, nearly flipped my shit xD)
  • I'm level 63 now and the grinding is starting to wear me down. It was OK when I had goals like forging all the pieces for my armour, forging weapons, and maxing out upgrades, but I'm done now. I have godly gear and an outfit for any occasion. Even the remaining trophies to get can't keep me going because these last ones are kinda bullshit. There are a few for getting all crowns for all monsters, which is grindy enough, but you need gold crowns to get the trophies, which is insane. Just to put it in perspective, I've clocked in about 150 hours so far, and I have a grand total of 3 gold crowns... out of about 60. Yeah, fuck that. At this rate it's going to take several thousand hours to get all those crowns. 
  • I started this and am about 4 hours in and I like it, but it seems like a huge time commitment that I don't have time for right now. Plus open world type games tend to burn me out pretty fast.

Even as good as Mario Odyssey was, the open world stuff started to be grating near the end.

and here there is so much to do and different systems to learn, I thought I could just play the story mode, but even that seems like too much. :p I tried. Maybe I'll give this another try before the year is out. The core gameplay is fun though.
  • Vamp, yeah you can't just blaze through the story, it demands a bit of grinding before progression in some parts. It's not really an open world game though. Each area feels like that at first, but once you research the monsters in each area you're tracker bugs will lead you straight to them, so you don't really spend much time exploring the maps. But yes, the game is a massive time sinkhole, but I knew that going in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week