Noobtoob's Week in Gaming: 16/10/17
  • Better get this in here before people start worrying that I've dropped dead again or something...

(360) Skyrim From the depths of Blackreach to the heights of the Throat of the World and my first toe-to-toe scrap with Alduin.  He ran away, the big wimp! Also been pushing the Stormcloak revolution forwards and trying to get into the Thieve's Guild, with a first few proper sneaky missions too.  I tiptoe pretty much everywhere once I'm in a dungeon, so my Sneak skill is through the roof, which feels pretty good (particularly when combined with high sneak-boost gear and muffle boots).

Been playing this since Feb and it's still fun, but I do need it to be over eventually...

How about you?  What's been destroying your sleep patterns this week?
  • Cuphead (XbOne) I started this game. It is a lot of fun. But... I'm stuck on the dragon boss on the 2nd Isle. And I'm putting this one on hold for now. My allergies are really bothering me and my eyes are all irritated, and its too hard to be sneezing all the time and trying to play an action platformer right now. :p So if the pollen ever lets up, I will get back to this someday.

Libra of the Vampire Princess (Steam) My playthru continues. I finally feel like I'm making some progress and have gotten to the point in the story where the routes divide into 3 separate paths. Its getting better the further I read on.

That is it for last week. I have not been playing a lot of games lately. I have been reading more often though, and not just the visual novels I've been playing. I finished reading Occultation and Other stories by Laird Barron, and I have started The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All by Laird Barron and these story collections are just great. :)
  • Your Skyrim sounds most of the way over. My War of the Chosen is over. You would think I could get started on Witcher 3 or Phantom Pain, two highly recommended games. You could think that.... and you would be wrong.
  • I don't understand the Cuphead fever gripping the interwebs right now. It's Contra with a retro Disney skin. It looks and sounds good if you're into that I guess but from a gameplay perspective? Come the fuck on. Nothing new here at all.

Overwatch - SR is complete bullshit. I did all my qualifiers on PS4 and the Bone and there was more than a 1000 point difference in my starting SR. Ranked still has more to do with teams and winning matches than individual performance. Other than that I was just going for achievements and unlocking skins through loot boxes. Pretty pleased this time, I have every Halloween skin now.

Other than that I've just been watching the list of games I'll never buy grow as the games industry continues to fuck itself into microtransaction oblivion.
  • Get used to it, dude, it's the future apparently.  Are you honestly saying you don't like your progress through an off-line, single-player game being gated according to your willingness to pump cash into a gambling system that is only missing being defined as gambling by the weaselliest of weasel words by various developers and industry bodies?  For shame!
  • Destiny 2 with my girlfriend. We have been through the story again and I now have 2 raid ready characters. Apart from that not too much. A little Forza and a little FIFA here and there but nothing to shout home about.

We probably will never see an end to microtransactions in games. I'm not sure we should. Games cost a hell of a lot of money to make. Maybe for some developers microtransactions are needed. Needed to bolster profits. Needed to be successful. I think we will see and need to see a change in the way they are handled. Shadow of War and Forza are two examples of games getting this shit very wrong. Overwatch however does microtransactions and does it right. Developers need to look to blizzard. See what they are doing differently and imitate it. Blizzard are making dollar off the whales while also keeping the average consumer happy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week