(PC/PS4/XB1) The Surge

The Surge is an upcoming science fiction action role-playing game video game in development by Deck13 Interactive, and published by Focus Home Interactive. Deck13 Interactive described the game as "Rise of the Robots and Souls-style, super-challenging third-person melee combat, but through the lens of a sci-fi setting". The game is scheduled for release in May 2017, for Microsoft WindowsPlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

The Surge is designed in the challenging Role-playing game style of the Rise of the Robots and Souls series of games. The gameplay involves players using an exoskeleton to battle enemies. The exoskeleton can be customized through the game using "modular upgrades" according to the developer. The combat allows players to target different body parts of enemies, as well as utilize finishing moves often ending in dismemberment in bullet time fashion.

---
    So, it's like a new Soulslike game is coming out but with a futuristic-y, space vibe. I hear rumors of no multiplayer though, so it's a Soulslike without the co-op I guess?

• These are the guys who made Lords of the Fallen (another Souls clone with no multiplayer), which I enjoyed, so I'm interested to see how this turns out. People have been asking for a sci-fi take on Souls for a while now. Hopefully they do a good job with it, and have listened to the criticisms of Lords. The only other games I've played from these guys are Venetica and Blood Knights. Blood Knights was very poopy iirc and Venetica was meh too. I didn't make much progress in either game.

Looking forward to giving it a go, don't know if I'd drop $60 day 1 on it though.
  • I'd love to dip on this right away, but I still need to finish Bloodborne, it's DLC and Dark Souls 3 final DLC. Bleh.
  • I've been playing this since yesterday. From a combat perspective it is really good. If you were worried about it being sluggish like Lords of the Fallen then have no fear, it is very fast-paced. About the only thing it has in common with Lords is the souls system, where holding more souls (tech in this game) raises a multiplier for when you kill following enemies. The tech can be banked if you don't want to spend it, but also don't want to carry it around. Surge also has an energy meter which allows you to cut off specific limbs from enemies to get parts you can break down for upgrade materials and also for schematics so you can make whatever part it is you chopped. 

You start the game after selecting either heavy or light class, but you can get both these armour sets pretty soon anyway. The light one allows faster movement and attack speeds as well as a bonus against armoured enemies, while the heavy set slows you down but gives an impact bonus (knocking down smaller enemies) and bonuses against unarmoured enemies. There's a variety of weapons that are basically factory parts turned weapon in most cases like saw swords, poles and pipes, hammers, etc. The more you use a weapon, the higher your proficiency becomes, and then weapons of that class each have a scaling rating that will up its damage based on your proficiency level.

The enemies hit hard, but they are fair. The first boss fight was excellent. It kicked my ass a few times until I figured out its secret and then it went down easily. After you kill a boss you get access to more of the map and you travel between areas via a tram. It's not 1 big connected world. There is a story which seems decent enough so far, revealed through audio logs and the odd NPCs located here and there. There will be some backtracking, as some areas have locked doors that require higher levels to open. The only potential downside imo are the environments. The whole game takes place around a busted up factory from what I can tell. So every area is metallic, lots of corridors and machine rooms, and lots of tight spaces. Personally this doesn't bother me too much. I'm here for the combat and that Souls-like fix, but I can see how it might piss some people off. 

If you're a Souls junkie and you've beaten the other clones you owe it a go. If you didn't like Lords of the Fallen, still give it a go. The Surge feels nothing like it. For speed it's up there with Bloodborne and Nioh. It even has that little dodge-dash move. 
  • Platted it. I had a great time with this one. I don't get the hate this game attracts. It was rather short, even going after all the side missions, and there were only 5 bosses in the entire game unfortunately, but it was worth the time. Anyways, time to let this thread sink back into oblivion. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week